Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

It never ends.

You could make the argument that ISU hasn't necessarily been that far from being a good team in the past. Just think how many games have been blown by this football program over the years. Just imagine if ISU had won only half of these winnable games.

1. 1984 - ISU - OU. ISU leads the entire way and then loses in the last minute 12-10.
    2. 1989 - ISU - Iowa. ISU leads 21-7 at half. A muffed punt out of the endzone begins a Hawkeye rally. ISU loses 31-21.
    3. 1989 - ISU - OU. ISU scores 40 points but loses 43-40. Jeff Shudak is suspended for disciplinary reasons forcing ISU to go for 2 on every TD.
    4. 1996 - Wyoming. An 18 point lead is blown in the fourth quarter and the game goes to OT. ISU loses by 3.
    5. 1997 - ISU - Minnesota. Tutu Atwell returns 2 kickoffs to propel the Gophers to the win.
    6. 1998 - ISU - OU. ISU is up by four late in the fourth quarter. Dustin Avey drops an INT. OU scores a TD to win.
    7. 1999 - ISU - KSU. ISU leads 28-7 at half. A kick return for a TD by David Allen begins a KSU comeback.
    8. 2000 - ISU - NU. ISU leads at the beginning of the fourth quarter. NU intercepts a pass and ends up with a 22 point win.
    9. 2001 - ISU - A&M. ISU dominates in College Station. Several missed FGs later, ISU loses by 3.
    10. 2001 - ISU - Alabama. ISU dominates statistically. Alabama scores a late TD and ISU misses a FG to win.
    11. 2002 - ISU - UConn. After dominating the first half, UConn in its third year of D-1 football pounds ISU in the second half.
    12. 2004 - ISU - Mizzou. The North on the line. A missed FG into the wind.
    13. 2005 - ISU - Neb. A dropped INT and NU pulls out the OT win.
    14. 2005 - ISU - Baylor. A sure TD is dropped by Greg Coleman on the goal line. Baylor wins its first road game in conference history.
    15. 2005 - ISU - Missouri. A 14 point lead in the fourth quarter is not enough. Chase Daniel leads ISU to two fourth quarter TDs. ISU loses in OT.
    16. 2005 - ISU - Kansas. A 10 point lead in the fourth quarter is not enough. ISU loses in OT by a FG.
    17. 2007 - ISU - Toledo. Enough said.

Patience???? This has been the same highlight reel of bloopers for the last 30 years. When does tomorrow arrive? How many times have special teams blown games for ISU?

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,001
    Given: 533

Re: It never ends.

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    You could make the argument that ISU hasn't necessarily been that far from being a good team in the past. Just think how many games have been blown by this football program over the years. Just imagine if ISU had won only half of these winnable games.

1. 1984 - ISU - OU. ISU leads the entire way and then loses in the last minute 12-10.
    2. 1989 - ISU - Iowa. ISU leads 21-7 at half. A muffed punt out of the endzone begins a Hawkeye rally. ISU loses 31-21.
    3. 1989 - ISU - OU. ISU scores 40 points but loses 43-40. Jeff Shudak is suspended for disciplinary reasons forcing ISU to go for 2 on every TD.
    4. 1996 - Wyoming. An 18 point lead is blown in the fourth quarter and the game goes to OT. ISU loses by 3.
    5. 1997 - ISU - Minnesota. Tutu Atwell returns 2 kickoffs to propel the Gophers to the win.
    6. 1998 - ISU - OU. ISU is up by four late in the fourth quarter. Dustin Avey drops an INT. OU scores a TD to win.
    7. 1999 - ISU - KSU. ISU leads 28-7 at half. A kick return for a TD by David Allen begins a KSU comeback.
    8. 2000 - ISU - NU. ISU leads at the beginning of the fourth quarter. NU intercepts a pass and ends up with a 22 point win.
    9. 2001 - ISU - A&M. ISU dominates in College Station. Several missed FGs later, ISU loses by 3.
    10. 2001 - ISU - Alabama. ISU dominates statistically. Alabama scores a late TD and ISU misses a FG to win.
    11. 2002 - ISU - UConn. After dominating the first half, UConn in its third year of D-1 football pounds ISU in the second half.
    12. 2004 - ISU - Mizzou. The North on the line. A missed FG into the wind.
    13. 2005 - ISU - Neb. A dropped INT and NU pulls out the OT win.
    14. 2005 - ISU - Baylor. A sure TD is dropped by Greg Coleman on the goal line. Baylor wins its first road game in conference history.
    15. 2005 - ISU - Missouri. A 14 point lead in the fourth quarter is not enough. Chase Daniel leads ISU to two fourth quarter TDs. ISU loses in OT.
    16. 2005 - ISU - Kansas. A 10 point lead in the fourth quarter is not enough. ISU loses in OT by a FG.
    17. 2007 - ISU - Toledo. Enough said.

Patience???? This has been the same highlight reel of bloopers for the last 30 years. When does tomorrow arrive? How many times have special teams blown games for ISU?
    Wow, that must have been some pretty depressing research!

Whenever I start to think about all the previous disappointments, I just go out into the yard and take a flying leap into a tree, nuts first. That usually works.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 278
    Given: 241

Special teams have been a huge downfall for us. Personally, I think special teams is an indicator if a staff has it going on. Sharp dresser and good shoes = sharp special teams making plays. Special teams using Lesser players trying hard, competing, making plays, winning games. Do we have any headhunters on our kickoff team or are we playing namby pamby lanes when they break away?

Dan would still be coach if he won have those games.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    Wow, that must have been some pretty depressing research!

Whenever I start to think about all the previous disappointments, I just go out into the yard and take a flying leap into a tree, nuts first. That usually works.
    Pride. Believe it or not, I did this off the top of my head. I've been following them for 25 years - so I've taken your suggestion more times than I care to think about. BTW - thanks for the 'slight' laugh. It's the first that I've had today.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Overall activity: 81.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,001
    Given: 533

Quote Originally Posted by URBCLONE View Post
    Pride. Believe it or not, I did this off the top of my head. I've been following them for 25 years - so I've taken your suggestion more times than I care to think about. BTW - thanks for the 'slight' laugh. It's the first that I've had today.
    I've been following them for about the same amount of time. It's amazing I was able to father a child. I believe you when you say that. I could probably make up a pretty good list too, if I could get past the mental blocks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 183
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonepride View Post
    I've been following them for about the same amount of time. It's amazing I was able to father a child. I believe you when you say that. I could probably make up a pretty good list too, if I could get past the mental blocks.
    Pride, take a shot at adding to it. I'm sure I've left a few out. Now, that I think about it, I've seen or heard ISU lose to Drake (1985) and UNI (3 Times, there for all three) in my life.

URBCLONE

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In 40 years have we lost to something similar like 2 BCS less (MACs) teams and one lower division team. in a span of 4 games? Seems like we have had a string of bad luck.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 94

I think you guys analyze this stuff way too much. We are a bad team with a new coach. Just enjoy the wins.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Saw that Dan personally landed a 4 star recruit:
    Dan McCarney - South Florida Football

Also, nice win over ex Husker (either Harrison Beck/Joe Dailey p they are the same):
    http://collegefootball.rivals.com/fr...&day=9/22/2007

September 22, 2007
    North Carolina at South Florida Recap
    Stats, Inc.

Game Ticker
    | box score

TAMPA, Fla.(AP) No. 23 South Florida finally can turn its attention to West Virginia.
    The rapidly rising Bulls validated their first Top 25 ranking Saturday with a dominating 37-10 victory over North Carolina, setting themselves up for a much-anticipated Big East showdown that will bring them even more national exposure.
    No. 5 West Virginia visits Raymond James Stadium next Friday for a nationally televised game that will draw the biggest crowd for a home game in USF history and give the Bulls (3-0) a chance to prove their victory over the Mountainneers in Morgantown last season wasn't a fluke.
    ``We know we're playing a great, great team coming in here. We're excited about the challenge,'' USF coach Jim Leavitt said. ``We're going to have to play awfully good football to have a chance.''
    The Bulls, in only their 11th season, cracked the Top 25 for the first time this week, largely on momentum generated by last November's 24-19 win at West Virginia and a 26-23 overtime victory at then-No. 17 Auburn two weeks ago.
    All week long, Leavitt and his players insisted the ranking, and the buzz it has created around campus, would not affect their preparation for North Carolina, which has lost three straight after winning its first game under new coach Butch Davis.
    ``I think the guys appreciate it. I know I appreciate people knowing about us a little bit. It's just important to know how to handle it,'' Leavitt said.
    ``You really need to focus on playing good football. Anything that gets you away from doing that, you're not going to play good football, and you're not going to win.''
    That wasn't a problem Saturday.
    Matt Grothe led long touchdown drives on USF's first two possessions, while the Bulls' swarming defense forced four turnovers and kept North Carolina (1-3) out of the end zone until just over a minute remained.
    Grothe completed 17 of 30 passes for 230 yards and one touchdown before being replaced by backup Grant Gregory in the fourth quarter. The Bulls rushed for 194 yards and outgained the young, rebuilding Tar Heels 428-164 overall.
    The Bulls marched 78 yards after the opening kickoff to take a 7-0 lead on Mike Ford's 5-yard touchdown run, then moved 83 yards in 10 plays on their next possession to go up 14-0 on Grothe's 12-yard scoring pass to Amarri Jackson.
    ``There's no easy way to look at a performance like this,'' said Davis, the former University of Miami and Cleveland Browns coach said.
    ``I told the players I don't think that we could have gotten off to a much poorer start than we did. We struggled in all three phases.''
    North Carolina lost its previous two games to East Carolina and Virginia by a total of five points. Redshirt freshman T.J. Yates threw for over 300 yards in both of those losses, however he found it much more difficult to throw against a USF secondary led by cornerbacks Trae Williams and Mike Jenkins.
    The Tar Heels forced two fumbles by Grothe, but both times Yates - harassed all day by a relentless pass rush - turned the ball back over to USF on interceptions that set up field goals by Delbert Alvarado.
    The quarterback's third interception, on a play when he was flushed out of the pocket, led to Benjamin Williams' 5-yard TD run that put USF up 30-3 late in the third quarter.
    ``For our football team to get better, we have got to become more multidimenisonal on offense,'' Davis said. ``We cannot rely solely on T.J. Yates, expecting to throw for 350 yards a game and three of four touchdowns, and everything's going to be hunky dory.''
    Yates, who was sacked four times, finished 11 of 27 for 85 yards and four interceptions. Ryan Houston scored North Carolina's only touchdown on a 5-yard run with 1:04 left. ``I didn't think we'd come out and dominate the way we did,'' Grothe said. ``We still could have had even more points. It could have been, easily, 50-something to 10.''

Last edited by Wesley; 09-23-2007 at 11:54 AM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    In 40 years have we lost to something similar like 2 BCS less (MACs) teams and one lower division team. in a span of 4 games? Seems like we have had a string of bad luck.
    How about a bad string of talent?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 148
    Given: 25

Dan McCarney - South Florida Football

Did he ever get any 4 star recruits at ISU? Well ones that actually made it to school?

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Skaldany has a good day as def coordinator in victory:

Knights 1-1 at Home - Central Florida News 13
    Knights 1-1 at Home

Sunday, September 23, 2007 8:52:42 AM

View Larger

Video

The UCF Knights are celebrating their victory today. After thrashing Memphis by a 56-20 score yesterday. The UCF Knights are now getting ready for their next opponent Louisiana Lafayette.

Coach George O'Leary says everything went right for the Knights this weekend. Texas is one of the toughest teams UCF has ever faced. Memphis, well let's just say they're not. This game was never even close, allowing a lot of the backups to see a lot more playing time, including Mike Greco.
    His style is very different than Kyle Israel. In fact, the PA announcer actually called him Tebow by accident at one point, but he's just happy to get a chance to get out there and play.
    "Little nervous getting in there, first college game actually playing in, but I was excited and we marched right down the field and put it in. I got a lot more comfortable after we scored one and I was happy to just get in there and start playing," said Greco.
    "What I saw today is what I've been seeing in practice from Michael and I was pleased. Now he wasn't always pretty, the fumble and all that but I do think he has, first time under the center of his career, I thought he had a heck of a game really. I think his eyeballs were spinning a little bit but I think he went out there and he was very, he was almost like non-chalant but he wasn't non-chalant. Poised would probably be a good word to use," described O'Leary.
    No animosity from starting quarterback Kyle Israel. The two QB's get along great.
    "We've really turned into pretty good friends and you know we'll go out to dinner after this together and there's no animosity, there's no friction whatsoever. I'm definitely there to help him out because he is new to the offense and I do everything I can to make him comfortable out there and it's a good situation. It's a good relationship," said Israel.
    Next week the Knights take on the 0-and-3 Ragin' Cajuns from Louisiana-Lafayette at Bright House Networks Stadium

Legend
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 67

Would've been nice to see that once or twice when he was at ISU...

"Don't worry Boss...they can't do nothin' 'til they're through sparklin'..."

Avatar - America's new superhero...Cenex Guy

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 355
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 43
    Given: 26

I hate to say this, but ISU teams just don't stay hungry. How many time have we see the Cyclones score a go ahead and then give up a huge return or play the next series? I don't know, but I am sure the answer is way too many times. I am know GC sees this as a huge problem and has tried to address it, but it is a pretty deep seeded problem. It just seems like, for some strange reason, the Clones just relax after they take a lead. What is worse is that when something goes wrong, they tend to meltdown for the next 10 minutes. Sure saw that last night.