Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 39

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 320
    Given: 98

Re: New Vikings Stadium

It blows my mind that they don't appreciate the long term economic benefit the Vikings provide for that metro area. Irresponsible, IMO. Especially when you consider the potential to create jobs.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 336

They were so close until the stupid lockout...now its back to square one. At least Zygi said he doens't want to move the team.

@RandomGeoFacts

All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

So I know no one really wants to do this, but why can't they just get another lease on the Metrodome? If they could get something like a 3-year lease I would think that would buy them enough time to get the stadium funded and built.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    So I know no one really wants to do this, but why can't they just get another lease on the Metrodome? If they could get something like a 3-year lease I would think that would buy them enough time to get the stadium funded and built.
    That's probably what will end up happening but I think the reason no one wants to do that is because it's the status quo. They keep getting promised a new stadium and they keep not getting one. If they sign another short-term lease on the dome there is no reason to believe anything different will happen at the end of it.

I normally hate when teams threaten to leave because they want a new stadium (current owner says he wants to stay) but in this case it's really needed. The Metrodome is a cheap piece of crap. The fan accomodations are SO bad. If you leave your seat at halftime it's shoulder-to-shoulder. It's impossible to take a **** or get a beer or, God forbid, both and get back to your seat before the second half kickoff.

All-Star
    Thumbs Up

Went to first Vikings game a couple weeks ago, there to see my packers play. My son and I thought that The Jack was a better place to watch a game than the metrodome. Better overall experience and venue we thought, especially scoreboards now. Had to turnaround every time to make one out, was in end zone.

I will give the edge to the seats, individual seats with backs, and cheerleaders, older so I don't fell like a dirty old man when staring to the vikes.

Pro
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 61

Don't blame them a bit. Just ask all the cities that spent millions on NBA facilites how that's working out this year.

Pro
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 28
    Given: 15

Quote Originally Posted by dtclones View Post
    They will have to do that when (if??) the Arden Hills proposal is approved. The State wants the Vikings to stay in the Dome because it's cheap, but the NFL and the Vikings ownership and players want the new stadium. Zygi isn't willing to budge on this issue because the State will just reject their proposal annually over the 3 years of the lease. Zygi has been very adamant that if the stadium isn't approved, then he is willing to do what is in the best interest of the Vikings - which is to sell the team to a new ownership. Will the ownership be in L.A.? Most likely.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    They will have to do that when (if??) the Arden Hills proposal is approved. The State wants the Vikings to stay in the Dome because it's cheap, but the NFL and the Vikings ownership and players want the new stadium. Zygi isn't willing to budge on this issue because the State will just reject their proposal annually over the 3 years of the lease. Zygi has been very adamant that if the stadium isn't approved, then he is willing to do what is in the best interest of the Vikings - which is to sell the team to a new ownership. Will the ownership be in L.A.? Most likely.
    Which is really really sad, because that would absolutely KILL the Minneapolis St. Paul metro, the T-Wolves suck, Twins sucked this year. The only bright spot was the Lynx, winning the WNBA Championship.

All-Star
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,178
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 44

The average age of an NFL stadium is 19 years.

So at 29 years, I guess we better replace the dang thing...

I know I'm going to be in the minority by saying this, but I don't agree with building a new stadium... but I do understand their importance to the TC economy.

"Science is a wonderful thing if one does not have to earn one's living at it." -- Albert Einstein

Addict
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 57

Quote Originally Posted by BCClone View Post
    Went to first Vikings game a couple weeks ago, there to see my packers play. My son and I thought that The Jack was a better place to watch a game than the metrodome. Better overall experience and venue we thought, especially scoreboards now. Had to turnaround every time to make one out, was in end zone.

I will give the edge to the seats, individual seats with backs, and cheerleaders, older so I don't fell like a dirty old man when staring to the vikes.
    Most of those NFL cheerleaders aren't any older than college cheerleaders, so you really aren't saving on the dirty old man factor. Of course, if you are a glass half full type, now you can feel better about yourself at college games!

All-Star Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ruxCYtable View Post
    That's probably what will end up happening but I think the reason no one wants to do that is because it's the status quo. They keep getting promised a new stadium and they keep not getting one. If they sign another short-term lease on the dome there is no reason to believe anything different will happen at the end of it.

I normally hate when teams threaten to leave because they want a new stadium (current owner says he wants to stay) but in this case it's really needed. The Metrodome is a cheap piece of crap. The fan accomodations are SO bad. If you leave your seat at halftime it's shoulder-to-shoulder. It's impossible to take a **** or get a beer or, God forbid, both and get back to your seat before the second half kickoff.
    Alright, I guess I haven't followed it closely enough for very long. I didn't realize this had happened before. I made my first trip up there a couple weeks ago (was at the ISU game the day before) and I agree, I'd rather watch a game at JTS. The biggest difference was the lack of a decent scoreboard and other features. It's bad when a lower level BCS program can blow an NFL team out of the water in that department.

All-Star
    Level completed: 9%, Points required for next Level: 1,100
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

It's B.S. that cities and states are funding this crap anyway. Minnesota politics is already completely ****** up right now. For cryin' out loud, the government SHUT DOWN due to its own ineffectiveness.

I have no faith in MN politics and I hope that the Vikings suffer a while longer. All they do is suck and whine about needing a new stadium. They want to raise taxes in the entire 7 county metro which is dumb.

Addict
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post
    It's B.S. that cities and states are funding this crap anyway. Minnesota politics is already completely ****** up right now. For cryin' out loud, the government SHUT DOWN due to its own ineffectiveness.

I have no faith in MN politics and I hope that the Vikings suffer a while longer. All they do is suck and whine about needing a new stadium. They want to raise taxes in the entire 7 county metro which is dumb.
    You do realize the Twins did the same thing the Vikings are trying to do correct?
    Let's be honest, the Dome is the WORST place to watch a game, some Viking fans may agree with me, but then again, i could be wrong.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 148

Quote Originally Posted by driegner View Post

I work for a company that does business in Minnesota and has a lot of interaction with government entities there. I can tell you it is the most bureaucratic and dysfunctional environment I've ever seen. I have noted to colleagues, it is as if they think they will never understand the businesses they regulate, so they feel they best serve the public by making EVERYTHING as difficult and unpleasant as possible. It has gotten to the point where my company may pull out of Minnesota eventually, even though our business there is profitable. It is like doing business with a foreign country.