Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 61
  1. #46
    Rookie
    Points: 18,565, Level: 41
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Tri4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    523
    Points
    18,565
    Level
    41
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 39

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    I'm glad to see the positive feedback. This is on my list of upgrades to the new house.


    "I'm not vain...I'm awesome" - Me

  2. #47
    Legend
    Points: 378,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,312
    Points
    378,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    With the Nest do any of you guys have a common wire? It is advertised as not needing one, but I'm seeing a lot of bad feedback from people online where their Nest's battery dies due to not getting enough juice.

    Yes I do, however, if you dont and your Nest passes out, you can detach it and plug it into a usb charger I believe. There is a port on the back side. The battery is not replaceable, its a build in rechargeable.



  3. #48
    Legend
    Points: 378,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,312
    Points
    378,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    One feature I think is great is its ability to sense if you are home or not. If it feels you arent, it sets itself to autoaway and a preset temp to basically maintain that temp till you get home. I put my preset to 67 (lowest it will go in autoaway) and it will sit there until I come home. Saves a bunch of energy.



  4. #49
    Addict
    Points: 103,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    5,885
    Points
    103,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    With the Nest do any of you guys have a common wire? It is advertised as not needing one, but I'm seeing a lot of bad feedback from people online where their Nest's battery dies due to not getting enough juice.
    When it first came out, it said it would be fine on my house with no common wire, that it would get power thru the red and white. Well it worked fine thru the summer and the air conditioner but it wouldn't thru the winter and the furnace. It would keep dying from low power and not start up my gas ignitors and it would blow air (which was semi-cold).

    Nest mailed me a resistor to bridge across two terminals to ignite but that didn't work very long so I decided to run new wire.I replaced the 4 wire and ran a 8 wire to the furnace and am now using a common wire and have 3 spares.

    Works perfect again.



  5. #50
    Addict
    Points: 103,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    5,885
    Points
    103,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    Yes I do, however, if you dont and your Nest passes out, you can detach it and plug it into a usb charger I believe. There is a port on the back side. The battery is not replaceable, its a build in rechargeable.
    In theory you'd think that would work but it didn't for me. I went that route a few times and it didn't help.



  6. #51
    Walk On
    Points: 7,705, Level: 26
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 445
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Cedar Rapids
    Posts
    159
    Points
    7,705
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    I have a standard programmable thermostat. I have it warm up for when I get up in the morning, cool off for the work day, heat back up when i normally get home, and finally, cool back off for normal bed time. Over the weekend, it heats up during the day and then cooler at night. It works great most of the time, but there are enough days that are different that I think something more sophisticated could save me money or make me more comfortable.

    -Any day off work during the week
    -Any day that I stay late at work, go to the gym, drinks after work
    -Business travel
    -weekends that I am out a large portion of the day

    I realize I can manually adjust it for these situations, but I typically forget to turn it back to program mode afterward.



  7. #52
    Addict
    Points: 96,299, Level: 96
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    huntt26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    po' dUnk
    Posts
    7,396
    Points
    96,299
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 3

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    When it first came out, it said it would be fine on my house with no common wire, that it would get power thru the red and white. Well it worked fine thru the summer and the air conditioner but it wouldn't thru the winter and the furnace. It would keep dying from low power and not start up my gas ignitors and it would blow air (which was semi-cold).

    Nest mailed me a resistor to bridge across two terminals to ignite but that didn't work very long so I decided to run new wire.I replaced the 4 wire and ran a 8 wire to the furnace and am now using a common wire and have 3 spares.

    Works perfect again.
    Thanks for sharing your experiences! I currently have 4 wires connected, but there are 2 wires just hanging out in the wall. The "extra" ones are blue and brown. Wonder if I could rig one of those into a common wire and then I won't have to worry about the Nest dying?



  8. #53
    Addict
    Points: 103,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    5,885
    Points
    103,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by huntt26 View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experiences! I currently have 4 wires connected, but there are 2 wires just hanging out in the wall. The "extra" ones are blue and brown. Wonder if I could rig one of those into a common wire and then I won't have to worry about the Nest dying?
    Even though they are the same, I think blue is seen more often as the common. On my terminal strip in the furnace (and I know there might be some differences) the common was the last set screw.

    Make sure to shut off the breaker to the furnace when you do this. It's very low voltage, but you want to protect yourself and the thermostat.



  9. #54
    Pro
    Points: 165,584, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,339
    Points
    165,584
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 38

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    One feature I think is great is its ability to sense if you are home or not. If it feels you arent, it sets itself to autoaway and a preset temp to basically maintain that temp till you get home. I put my preset to 67 (lowest it will go in autoaway) and it will sit there until I come home. Saves a bunch of energy.
    That's the thing that concerns me with getting one. I don't want my house to start heating when I get home. I want it to be warm when I get home. My understanding is that the NEST doesn't have any sort of anticipation built into it, does it?



  10. #55
    Addict
    Points: 103,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    5,885
    Points
    103,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    That's the thing that concerns me with getting one. I don't want my house to start heating when I get home. I want it to be warm when I get home. My understanding is that the NEST doesn't have any sort of anticipation built into it, does it?
    I set a heating and cooling schedule on mine and it works well. I even adjust it at night when we are sleeping a few degrees to conserve then too.



  11. #56
    Legend
    Points: 378,836, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,312
    Points
    378,836
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 104

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by JP4CY View Post
    I set a heating and cooling schedule on mine and it works well. I even adjust it at night when we are sleeping a few degrees to conserve then too.
    Yeah me too. It knows me pretty well now. Im also a lazy *** so changing the temp from my phone in bed rules.



  12. #57
    Pro
    Points: 165,584, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    NickTheGreat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Johnston
    Posts
    3,339
    Points
    165,584
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 38

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    OK, so you guys are using them as programmable thermostats. I kinda got turned off by the whole "learning thing."



  13. #58
    Addict
    Points: 103,464, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    JP4CY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Sommerset
    Posts
    5,885
    Points
    103,464
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 16

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    OK, so you guys are using them as programmable thermostats. I kinda got turned off by the whole "learning thing."
    I set mine up to use less power between 8-5 M-F and less from midnight to 5:30am.



  14. #59
    All-Star
    Points: 20,390, Level: 43
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    20,390
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    That's the thing that concerns me with getting one. I don't want my house to start heating when I get home. I want it to be warm when I get home. My understanding is that the NEST doesn't have any sort of anticipation built into it, does it?
    Mine anticipates when we will get home. One thing I like about, you come home early forget to turn it up. When you turn it up to the temp you want, it gives you an estimate of the time it will take to make that temp.


    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

  15. #60
    All-Star
    Points: 20,390, Level: 43
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 360
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered10000 Experience Points
    boone7247's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Near the City
    Posts
    1,211
    Points
    20,390
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 10

    Re: Learning Thermostat

    Quote Originally Posted by NickTheGreat View Post
    OK, so you guys are using them as programmable thermostats. I kinda got turned off by the whole "learning thing."
    I let mine learn our schedule. It worked out good.


    A world without yoga pants and Planter's cheese balls, is a world I no longer want to live in.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 06:00 PM