Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 211

Downtown DM's Silicon 6th

Found this interesting and surprising story in the Register today about the amount of tech startup companies starting to take root in highrises along 6th Avenue in downtown Des Moines. Here's a cool graphic:

Silicon Sixth | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

Iowa’s information technology industry isn’t expansive enough to fill a valley. But it does have Sixth Avenue in downtown Des Moines, home to nearly 20 tech companies in a span of three blocks. Most have moved in during the last year, and more are coming.

Link to full article: Information technology startups find a collegial spot in Des Moines | The Des Moines Register | DesMoinesRegister.com

CCG

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

Re: Downtown DM's Silicon 6th

I am in this industry in DSM, and I have only heard of 1 of these companies. I have no idea how Dwolla ever hopes to survive, they entered the online payment industry 10 years after one company completely dominated it.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 257
    Given: 209

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I am in this industry in DSM, and I have only heard of 1 of these companies. I have no idea how Dwolla ever hopes to survive, they entered the online payment industry 10 years after one company completely dominated it.
    Step away from your computer and get out more.

Rookie
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 23
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    REALLY? By "IN" this industry you must mean you program at one of the mind numbing Fortune 500 shops. Did you go to Iowa Code Camp this weekend? (great event BTW) Ever been to a TechBrew or Startup Drinks? BarCamp? My guess is NO. It amazes me sometimes at these events how few IT workers from the Big 3 (Principal, Wells Fargo and Nationwide) I see at these. Get away from your computer and get out in the community!!

Legend
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 438
    Given: 646

I've heard of the coffee place.

Rookie
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 216
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 1

Not in the industry but knew way more than I thought I would. Maybe not half but close.

Our company does work with BitMethod/Dan Shipton. Been impressed with them so far.

All-Star
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 643
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 4

I thought earlier in life B'Hos said he worked for Dice.com, but I could be wrong.

Starter
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 699
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by uthaman View Post
    REALLY? By "IN" this industry you must mean you program at one of the mind numbing Fortune 500 shops. Did you go to Iowa Code Camp this weekend? (great event BTW) Ever been to a TechBrew or Startup Drinks? BarCamp? My guess is NO. It amazes me sometimes at these events how few IT workers from the Big 3 (Principal, Wells Fargo and Nationwide) I see at these. Get away from your computer and get out in the community!!
    I've been starting to attend some of these too ... you forgot to mention Thinc which just happened. There are some cool things going on but sometimes they are how to find out about ... how about SPN (siliconprairienews)

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 471
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 40

i'm also in the industry, but do not work for any of the companies you listed... just wanted to chime in at what a joke your response is:

who the **** wants to spend a full saturday talking about programming?

you don't see a lot of developers from the large companies there because there's no point in them going... they get paid very well to do very little, and with relatively low expectations put on them there's no point in spending their free-time advancing their craft

Speechless
    Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 379
    Given: 47

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post
    i'm also in the industry, but do not work for any of the companies you listed... just wanted to chime in at what a joke your response is:

you don't see a lot of developers from the large companies there because there's no point in them going... they get paid very well to do very little, and with relatively low expectations put on them there's no point in spending their free-time advancing their craft
    I used to go to these types of events all the time, but now I have kids, thus no free time. I have worked for both startups and established tech companies. I prefer startups, but I don't think I can ever do it again in my career. And no, I am not a developer for a big 3 company, I am in ops for a small company.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by JY07 View Post

I agree with your first point JY, but not your second. I work in IT for the one of the big 3. Many people do great work, are dedicated, work overtime, are on-call, and keep up with trends as best they can. And yes, they probably like the stable paychecks and benefits ... guilty as charged.

But just because someone doesn't show up at these weekend clique events doesn't mean jack about them, their skills, or their character. It just means they have other priorities in their lives.

Addict
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 238
    Given: 211

I'm not a tech geek like many of you on this thread, just a Des Moines/downtown development geek and thus the reason this story interested me.

I'm very interested to see what develops on this street (and nearby blocks in the core of the financial district) in the next few years.

Moreover, to add another dynamic/factor affecting this 3 block area (but not discussed in this article), is that two highrises , the 12 story Fleming and 19 story Des Moines Building, are currently slated to be converted from office buildings to market rate apartments. The Fleming Building is currently being gutted in preperation for its conversion....the DM Building is probably still a couple years away.

So....if all goes well, not only will you see a interesting synergy of tech companies locate here, but you'll also see housing available as well.

IMO, this is huge. At some point, the few urban metro areas Iowa has to offer are going to run out of population to draw from rural areas and thus will need to be able to attract talent from other cities. Unlike those that come from small towns/rural areas, they will not be attracted to opportunities to work in one-story flex office business parks located in the outskirts of cities, but rather want to live/work/play in a city (even if it is of modest size). In other words, they grew up in the suburbs of a city, they want to try something other than what they grew up with (ie...they want to do something different than what their parent's did).

Just my two cents worth. Regardless, this is great to see for DM and it will be interesting to see how big this gets.

Last edited by capitalcityguy; 10-31-2011 at 10:22 PM.
    CCG

Addict
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 237
    Given: 164

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneDaddy View Post
    I thought earlier in life B'Hos said he worked for Dice.com, but I could be wrong.
    I worked for dice for a bit, fun job and all that but I swear that had I had a hidden camera I could make a hit show similar to "the office"

Legend
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 266
    Given: 175

REALLY?
    Let me guess, you're under 30 with no kids.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 689
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 19
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
    I'm not a tech geek like many of you on this thread, just a Des Moines/downtown development geek and thus the reason this story interested me.

I'm very interested to see what develops on this street (and nearby blocks in the core of the financial district) in the next few years.

Moreover, to add another dynamic/factor affecting this 3 block area (but not discussed in this article), is that two highrises , the 12 story Fleming and 19 story Des Moines Building, are currently slated to be converted from office buildings to market rate apartments. The Fleming Building is currently being gutted in preperation for its conversion....the DM Building is probably still a couple years away.

So....if all goes well, not only will you see a interesting synergy of tech companies locate here, but you'll also see housing available as well.

IMO, this is huge. At some point, the few urban metro areas Iowa has to offer are going to run out of population to draw from rural areas and thus will need to be able to attract talent from other cities. Unlike those that come from small towns/rural areas, they will not be attracted to opportunities to work in one-story flex office business parks located in the outskirts of cities, but rather want to live/work/play in a city (even if it is of modest size). In other words, they grew up in the suburbs of a city, they want to try something other than what they grew up with (ie...they want to do something different than what their parent's did).

Just my two cents worth. Regardless, this is great to see for DM and it will be interesting to see how big this gets.
    There will be plenty of available housing downtown until you get some decent retail downtown. Until you have a real grocery store, and some other retail, people are going to find alternative places to live.