Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,813, Level: 76
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,703
    Points
    60,813
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 826
    Given: 1,279

    Sports Page Headlines

    I don't want to turn this into a wine festival if ISU's win isn't the biggest headline in the sports pages around the state.

    Just wondering how it will be presented, what with ISU handily beating a ranked team on the road and the other teams (UNI and whatzit) both falling.

    Post links and comments here.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  2. #2
    Rookie
    Points: 7,879, Level: 26
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    CycloneSupt6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Davenport
    Posts
    357
    Points
    7,879
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 1

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Haven't seen the QC Times yet, but i can guarantee there will just be a little AP article or something borrowed from the beat writer from Cedar Rapids.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 31,096, Level: 54
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 854
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,163
    Points
    31,096
    Level
    54
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 71
    Given: 162

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    HAWKS SLIP AGAINST GOPHERS!
























    Iowa school steals one from top 25



  4. #4
    Prospect
    Points: 3,033, Level: 15
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    55
    Points
    3,033
    Level
    15
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Iowa State wins one Big 12 game and you think they deserve headlines? When ISU puts a string of Big 12 wins together and win the way they did this weekend then they deserve headlines.



  5. #5
    Swarm & Punish
    Points: 306,840, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    keepngoal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    21,398
    Points
    306,840
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,422
    Given: 3,207

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Quote Originally Posted by mikewdm View Post
    Iowa State wins one Big 12 game and you think they deserve headlines? When ISU puts a string of Big 12 wins together and win the way they did this weekend then they deserve headlines.
    They deserve headlines.... crushing a top 20 team on the road deserves headlines.

    Not just an AP story ... yes I'm talking to your CR Gazette.

    -keep


    The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

    May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

  6. #6
    Recruit
    Points: 10,939, Level: 31
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    105
    Points
    10,939
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 3

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    I don't want to turn this into a wine festival if ISU's win isn't the biggest headline in the sports pages around the state.

    Just wondering how it will be presented, what with ISU handily beating a ranked team on the road and the other teams (UNI and whatzit) both falling.

    Post links and comments here.
    From the CR Gazette:
    The main headline was
    NOT AGAIN! Way down in the (Gopher) hole for Hawkeyes, 22-21

    ISU's headline was
    Cyclones stun No. 19 Texas Tech, 41-7
    the AP story followed

    and at the bottom of the page was Mike Hlas's commentary:
    This was bad, folks, really bad



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,813, Level: 76
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,703
    Points
    60,813
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 826
    Given: 1,279

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Quote Originally Posted by CloneHead View Post
    From the CR Gazette:
    The main headline was
    NOT AGAIN! Way down in the (Gopher) hole for Hawkeyes, 22-21

    ISU's headline was
    Cyclones stun No. 19 Texas Tech, 41-7
    the AP story followed

    and at the bottom of the page was Mike Hlas's commentary:
    This was bad, folks, really bad
    Saw the Hawkzette sports page this AM, too. ISU AP story at the top of the front page with sorta small headline font. Minnesota (Iowa) had rest of the front page except a little on the bottom plus two full pages inside. UNI on the top of Page 3. Nothing more on ISU inside, but maybe because it was a late game.


    Last edited by MeanDean; 10-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  8. #8
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 53,043, Level: 71
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,007
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Daserop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Bebop
    Posts
    3,558
    Points
    53,043
    Level
    71
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 443
    Given: 475

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Quote Originally Posted by MeanDean View Post
    Saw the Hawkzette sports page this AM, too. ISU AP story at the top of the front page with sorta small headline font. Minnesota (Iowa) had rest of the front page except a little on the bottom plus two full pages inside. UNI on the top of Page 3. Nothing more on ISU inside, but maybe because it was a late game.
    I have relatives who have lived in Waterloo & Cedar Rapids for a number of years. They always told me how bad / little the media attention for ISU athletics is. I always thought they were exaggerating until I moved into this area. Whenever I watch / read the local news and they have topics related to ISU athletics to me it feels more like they are required to do it and put as little effort into it as possible.

    It isn't like Ames is on the other side of the state it is only 2 hours away from CR.



  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 566,827, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    ISUAgronomist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Close Enough, IA
    Posts
    21,745
    Points
    566,827
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 644
    Given: 348

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    People still read the Iowa newspapers?




  10. #10
    Recruit
    Points: 3,375, Level: 16
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 75
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CysMyBoy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    97
    Points
    3,375
    Level
    16
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Just looked through the DSM Register. Didn't even find the boxscore... what a waste of $2



  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 60,813, Level: 76
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 837
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    MeanDean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Clarence IA-Jensen Bch FL
    Posts
    3,703
    Points
    60,813
    Level
    76
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 826
    Given: 1,279

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    Quote Originally Posted by Daserop View Post
    I have relatives who have lived in Waterloo & Cedar Rapids for a number of years. They always told me how bad / little the media attention for ISU athletics is. I always thought they were exaggerating until I moved into this area. Whenever I watch / read the local news and they have topics related to ISU athletics to me it feels more like they are required to do it and put as little effort into it as possible.

    It isn't like Ames is on the other side of the state it is only 2 hours away from CR.
    I honestly think it is worse here than in the QCA, where I used to live. Seems like they put little digs or subtle backhanded compliments in the headlines, too.


    No matter what, I could NEVER cheer for Dirt and Urine.

  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 175,089, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyguytillidie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    10,898
    Points
    175,089
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 252
    Given: 437

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    ISU got the big headline in the DMR. "FRESH, FEARSOME"

    Iowa got the headline at the top of the page. "Gophers bite Hawkeyes hard"



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 78,872, Level: 87
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,278
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranCreated Album pictures
    TXCyclones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    3,655
    Points
    78,872
    Level
    87
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 549
    Given: 371

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    From the Dallas Morning News, "Texas Tech Embarrassed by Iowa State, 41-7"



  14. #14
    Addict
    Points: 75,145, Level: 85
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,405
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Rural's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    7,233
    Points
    75,145
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 516

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    My local paper has a headline of, "Gophers win Superbowl".


    Page 87- "Texas Tech comes out flat".



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 433,864, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    64,962
    Points
    433,864
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,479
    Given: 1,121

    Re: Sports Page Headlines

    OWH past owner of Ames paper really has a laugher:

    Omaha.com

    Doege runs for lone TD in 41-7 loss to Iowa St.


    Let Prohm's Posse Ride: Georges, Georgios, 3sus, Hallice, Deonte, Dustin, Abdel, Monte, Matt, and McKaT.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM