Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 1

Big 12 Offenses

I've been contributing to www.widerightnattylite.com for a few weeks now and had this posted today talking about just how good the Big 12 offenses are.

The revelation for me was that the yards/play numbers are good for the B12 when compared to other leagues but not nearly as dominant. It's the plays per game numbers that are one of the biggest reasons that B12 schools are putting up so many yards per game.

At the end I point out K-State's dissension from spread offenses and how that may be contributing to their success and how that relates to ISU.
    Any comments or questions are welcome.

The Big 12's Offensive Assault - Wide Right & Natty Lite

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 741
    Given: 92

Re: Big 12 Offenses

I have never bought into the "keep the ball out of their hands" argument. For every play you take away from them, you take one away from yourself down the line. KSU has a whale of a defense this year. It is still about scoring when you have the ball and not letting the opponent score when they do. Sure, the less they have the ball, the less they will score, but you will also have the ball less times so you will likely score less as well.

It's all snark from here on out

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I can see what you're saying there. I'm not saying that ISU is most definitely on the wrong path with the offense but I think its an interesting juxtaposition. Especially when you consider that right now ISU is running 77 plays per game, which is 13th most in the NCAA and 7th most of BCS teams.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: Big 12 Offenseshttp://www.facebook.com/CycloneFanatic

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    I've been contributing to www.widerightnattylite.com for a few weeks now and had this posted today talking about just how good the Big 12 offenses are.

The revelation for me was that the yards/play numbers are good for the B12 when compared to other leagues but not nearly as dominant. It's the plays per game numbers that are one of the biggest reasons that B12 schools are putting up so many yards per game.

At the end I point out K-State's dissension from spread offenses and how that may be contributing to their success and how that relates to ISU.
    Any comments or questions are welcome.

The Big 12's Offensive Assault - Wide Right & Natty Lite
    I agree with the premise. When people started calling for the spread, we would have been ahead of the game enough that we might have had a foothold. By the time we actually implemented it, nearly the whole conference was already doing it. I do think however, ISU can slow things down more and still run the spread. I think it is to our advantage to slow things down and have the option of running up tempo at times. Running up tempo all the time is not going to get us anywhere with our defense playing the way it is.

Last edited by jaretac; 10-28-2011 at 05:04 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Yeah, I can see what you're saying there. I'm not saying that ISU is most definitely on the wrong path with the offense but I think its an interesting juxtaposition. Especially when you consider that right now ISU is running 77 plays per game, which is 13th most in the NCAA and 7th most of BCS teams.
    That's really interesting. We haven't been allowing big plays either.

Pro
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,096
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

From the article, here's the top 15 teams in the NCAA for plays per game.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by Tre4ISU View Post
    I have never bought into the "keep the ball out of their hands" argument. For every play you take away from them, you take one away from yourself down the line. KSU has a whale of a defense this year. It is still about scoring when you have the ball and not letting the opponent score when they do. Sure, the less they have the ball, the less they will score, but you will also have the ball less times so you will likely score less as well.
    It's about keeping teams out of their flow and at the same time giving your defense rest. If you slow things down and move the ball, keeping their offense off the field, it's a win. Best way to stop a great offense is limit their opportunities.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    It's about keeping teams out of their flow and at the same time giving your defense rest. If you slow things down and move the ball, keeping their offense off the field, it's a win. Best way to stop a great offense is limit their opportunities.
    Round 2?

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

I don't agree with the premise. KSU is good, but the ball is also bouncing their way this year. KSU could very easily lose the next four games.

Put a high caliber QB at ISU, and you are very likely to see them right up there with the rest of the offenses in the Big XII. ISU's system has been shown to be one of the most productive in the BCS, yet we have lacked the caliber of QB necessary to make it go.

It isn't time to scrap the system just because KSU is on a hot steak. After the Iowa game, Iowa fans were complaining about needing to open up their offense to more of a spread attack. Now because we are on a losing steak we want to slow it down and get away from a spread attack. Fans are too fickle. It takes the right combination of players, and we can get those players at ISU. Don't panic.

Last edited by mt85; 10-28-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 62.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,792
    Given: 4,004

Round 2?

WRESTLE!!!

Rookie
    Level completed: 85%, Points required for next Level: 106
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 49

I guess you mean "the spread" in general has been successful?? ISU's version has been woeful for going on three years now.

I could not disagree more with your premise that we are only one player away (the QB), and that once we find that player things will magically work.

Quote Originally Posted by mt85 View Post
    ISU's system has been shown to be one of the most productive in the BCS

Addict
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 1,392
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 309
    Given: 139

I think that ISU needs to slow the game down so the defense is playing less downs every game. ISU lacks the depth to play good defense for an entire game, but they have, at times, been very good in periods of games. Until ISU has true depth, being able to sub without seeing a huge drop off, then the defense will be giving up huge amounts of yardage and points to the hurry up offenses in the conference.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

Round 2?
    I thought this would be a new fight since I KO'd you (not Kelechi) last time!

Pro
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by Land Grant View Post
    I guess you mean "the spread" in general has been successful?? ISU's version has been woeful for going on three years now.

I could not disagree more with your premise that we are only one player away (the QB), and that once we find that player things will magically work.
    Well, then you would be wrong :)

Of course, better players at other positions would help, but it starts with the QB in a spread offense.

Last edited by mt85; 10-28-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyCloned View Post
    I think that ISU needs to slow the game down so the defense is playing less downs every game. ISU lacks the depth to play good defense for an entire game, but they have, at times, been very good in periods of games. Until ISU has true depth, being able to sub without seeing a huge drop off, then the defense will be giving up huge amounts of yardage and points to the hurry up offenses in the conference.
    How about the defense get's off the field then they don't have to play that many downs.

I thought this would be a new fight since I KO'd you (not Kelechi) last time!
    You went there.........I just don't think all these numbers really matter. If you are on the field for 10 minutes and get nothing then the other teams scores, you are in the same spot as if that would happened in three minutes. Good offenses will score on a certain percentage of their drives. Just because you cut 2-3 of those drives out of the game doesn't make them less effective. It just means they didn't score as many total points. You lost that time for your offense on the back end too so you didn't score as many points. Numbers are fun and khaal does some cool **** as far as finding this stuff but is still a percentage game for the most part. I don't want to try and diminish what he does either because i like to look at this stuff. At the end of the day, though it still comes down to scoring when you have it and not letting them score when they have it. KSU isn't undefeated because they are simply limiting possessions. KSU is good because they score more than everyone else. It sounds stupid and very simple minded but the game isn't that complicated from this standpoint.