Football Recruiting to get More Difficult for ISU?
    All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Football Recruiting to get More Difficult for ISU?

In past years ISU has been able to take some risks on kids with marginal academics, and while one or two don't qualify each year, several kids who would have had bigger offers end up at Iowa State because we were willing to take a risk for the talent.

The new NCAA requirements raise the admission requirements significantly for both High School and JC players. GPA requirements have gone from 2.0 to 2.3 for High School students and from 2.0 to 2.5 for Juco athletes. I am guessing that there will be a larger number of quality athletes heading for Juco, and then if they can get the 2.5, moving to 4 year schools, in the mean time, the recruiting pool for high school athletes just got a little smaller.

Fortunately for ISU while we have benefited from a number of athletes that may or may not qualify out of high school in the new requirements, ISU also has been recruiting a lot of high quality students so we may be less impacted than other schools at our level.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Re: Football Recruiting to get More Difficult for ISU?

Stanford is amazing and they have crazy academic standards.

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

I tend to disagree here. Look at the more successful schools that take in higher caliber players. Not all of them are of academic standard. There's risk on them as well.

I won't disagree that ISU has taken some chances on players that may or may not be academically eligible, but most are, and are very good student athletes.

Remember ISU is a program that most if not all players stay all 4 years. The need of having graduating members out plays the need of having ones that don't. This is nothing new here, ISU has for the most part, always found athletes that can get it done in the classroom first - if anything, maybe this new rule can help ISU a bit......I guess we'll see.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 758
    Given: 1,121

kind of concerned about our JUCO kids...heard from a VERY good source that 3 guys are in trouble for grades....hopefully they get it straigthen out...2 play significant time and one is a starter

guessing they are just gonna be running stairs and not suspended games but I don't wanna see a JT situation for next year.

EDIT: saying this because our basketball academics are better now than our football team so it's a little worrysome

Last edited by Cy$; 10-27-2011 at 08:56 PM.
    **2014 CRZZZFFL REGULAR SEASON CHAMPION***

"I’d rather f------ work at McDonald’s than work with some of those guys. Not that there is anything bad about working at McDonald’s.” - Bo Pelini

DistrictCyclone

I don't think this will impact most schools disproportionately; what athletics programs don't benefit from lax standards? All this does is level the playing field a little more; ISU won't be hurt relative to anyone else.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    I don't think this will impact most schools disproportionately; what athletics programs don't benefit from lax standards? All this does is level the playing field a little more; ISU won't be hurt relative to anyone else.
    More HS kids will end up in Juco. The elite schools will still fill up with the best of the best, leaving fewer for everyone else. Similar impact to what would happen if scholarships went back up to 100 per team.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Starter
    Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 527
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 2

Usually kids don't have trouble with their core GPA, it's getting a minimum test score. I think people forget how easy high school is. You always see these kids with 3.7 GPAs and then they go out and score a 15 on their ACT. Unless the minimum test scores are also going up, I don't think this is going to make it any harder to get kids into college.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

JCloned, I thought the same thing when I read the article about ISU possibly missing out on a couple recruits they would have maybe gotten. Others have made some valid points. I'm all for this rule change though and hope it benefits everyone. Hopefully this will encourage the prospective student-athlete a little more and they now know academics are being taken more seriously.

All-Star
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 942
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 34

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    In past years ISU has been able to take some risks on kids with marginal academics, and while one or two don't qualify each year, several kids who would have had bigger offers end up at Iowa State because we were willing to take a risk for the talent.

The new NCAA requirements raise the admission requirements significantly for both High School and JC players. GPA requirements have gone from 2.0 to 2.3 for High School students and from 2.0 to 2.5 for Juco athletes. I am guessing that there will be a larger number of quality athletes heading for Juco, and then if they can get the 2.5, moving to 4 year schools, in the mean time, the recruiting pool for high school athletes just got a little smaller.

Fortunately for ISU while we have benefited from a number of athletes that may or may not qualify out of high school in the new requirements, ISU also has been recruiting a lot of high quality students so we may be less impacted than other schools at our level.
    ISU needs the football facility under construction, and then the south endzone expansion done. Stuff like that will help recruiting.