Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Ferentz looking backwards...

This excerpt from todays Register quotes Iowa Coach KF sounding a lot like Dan McCarney did in his final year. Looking back instead of forward. Anyone else see the similarity?
    Quoting Register.....

The Hawkeyes have recovered from losses against Iowa State before. In 2002, a nine-game winning streak and an appearance in the BCS Orange Bowl followed a 36-31 loss against the Cyclones.

“You could have made a lot of money getting odds on us going 8-0 in the league that year,” Ferentz said. “You could have really cashed in on that one.”

Addict Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: Ferentz looking backwards...

Quote Originally Posted by letsgostate View Post
    This excerpt from todays Register quotes Iowa Coach KF sounding a lot like Dan McCarney did in his final year. Looking back instead of forward. Anyone else see the similarity?
    Quoting Register.....

The Hawkeyes have recovered from losses against Iowa State before. In 2002, a nine-game winning streak and an appearance in the BCS Orange Bowl followed a 36-31 loss against the Cyclones.

“You could have made a lot of money getting odds on us going 8-0 in the league that year,” Ferentz said. “You could have really cashed in on that one.”
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I noticed this a little bit last year from KF, and after their first loss this year I saw it more bluntly. Saying things like "Well, we have a really young offense." Granted, what would keep me away from the DMac similarity is that he did not say that they lost to a "very good ISU team" like DMac said after our near loss to UNI. Other than that, I see the excuse machine moving east to save his job. Just my opinion though as an outside observer.

"Seven minutes to glory."

POOTMFS
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,799
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

If KF starts throwing around the "No doubt about it" phrase, then I think we have a match!

All-Star
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post
    If KF starts throwing around the "No doubt about it" phrase, then I think we have a match!
    That would be tremendous.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 100
    Given: 13

I don't know what people expect him to say in public.... "Yeah, we got beat by a pretty terrible ISU team, and there is no excuse for it. Our players just went out and sucked it up, and we probably won't have another win all season."

No, he's trying to build confidence in the fans, and the players. Obviously any fan with 2 brain cells knows that this probably won't be a 2002 style season, but I guess I don't see what's wrong in trying to boost morale?

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 340
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

we will know KF has a problem if he loses to Wisconsin tonight and starts saying next week is a start of a new season, than it would shades of DMac last season. but if they beat Wisconsin this talk all goes away. let's concentrate on beating toledo and move onto the BIG 12 conference play. by the way we will find out tonight if iowa state is a pretty terrible team or a team learning a new system. if we play well against toledo on the road and hopefully win i think we are improving and that is all i ask of this season. although a big 12 N title would be ok also. we haven't lost a conference game yet.

Two favorite teams, the Cyclones, and whoever is playing the Hawkeyes!

Addict
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 1,080
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 5

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post

No, he's trying to build confidence in the fans, and the players. Obviously any fan with 2 brain cells knows that this probably won't be a 2002 style season, but I guess I don't see what's wrong in trying to boost morale?
    problem with this statement is that many of your fans were talking about a big 10 championship this year due to not playing michigan or ohio state. you guys just keep living the dream in that pathetic, overrated conference, beating garbage teams like northwestern, indiana, minnesota, pudue, illinois......

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 732
    Given: 491

I don't know what people expect him to say in public.... "Yeah, we got beat by a pretty terrible ISU team, and there is no excuse for it. Our players just went out and sucked it up, and we probably won't have another win all season."
    Actually, yes, if I were a Hawk fan, I would expect my coach to say something really close to that. Chizik has been very straightforward with us Cyclone fans about the performance of our teams. He'll even lay the story straight on the halftime interview. A coach that isn't willing to cut through the bull**** isn't one worth keeping around. It's what got McCarney canned and it's why we all love Chizik so much even though we've lost to two inferior teams.

Are you therefore implying that 95% of Hawkeye Nation only has one brain cell then? Because the good lot of you still think that you're going to win the Big 10 championship and go to the Rose Bowl.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Actually, yes, if I were a Hawk fan, I would expect my coach to say something really close to that. Chizik has been very straightforward with us Cyclone fans about the performance of our teams. He'll even lay the story straight on the halftime interview. A coach that isn't willing to cut through the bull**** isn't one worth keeping around. It's what got McCarney canned and it's why we all love Chizik so much even though we've lost to two inferior teams.

Are you therefore implying that 95% of Hawkeye Nation only has one brain cell then? Because the good lot of you still think that you're going to win the Big 10 championship and go to the Rose Bowl.
    The good lot of us eh? Have you run a poll, or are you speaking of the wackos on the message boards and some people you know from work?

I know quite a few more Hawk fans than you, and I can say maybe only 15% are as optimistic as you say.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdave View Post

McCarney press conference... There's no doubt about it we got beat today by a hungry (insert team name). I have nothing but respect for the team and their coaching staff. They have been doing a tremendous job their since being hired two days ago. I really look for them to be competeing for a championship in the near future. As for us we are still going in the right direction. No doubt about it. We are still one of only 117 teams that are still looking at a chance to get to a bowl game. We still have alot of season to play.

Can anyone else hear this rolling off his tongue??

I doubt Kirk will get to that point. Although, alot of Hawk fans I now are slowly coming back to earth. I think they should be firmly planted after the game tonight. I really hope its a good game cause I think its my only option for tonight. Well during the breaks of the ISU game.

GDMCC Member follow us on twitter @dmcyclub

Pro
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,334
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 3

The good lot of us eh? Have you run a poll, or are you speaking of the wackos on the message boards and some people you know from work?

I know quite a few more Hawk fans than you, and I can say maybe only 15% are as optimistic as you say.
    SouthernHawk - i too know a lot of Hawk fans, including my entire family and extended family - all hawk fans, all my closest hawk fans, i'm the lone clone fan....and going into last weeks game was how awesome EIU offense looked against Syracuse and Northern Illinois and how terrible ISU offense and defense looked against UNI and Kent St.......nothing was stopping Iowa without Mich and Ohio st on the schedule - they had already penciled in a big ten championship....

Obviously if you watched the game last week Iowas problems were revealed both Offensively and defensively....

Offensive: questionable at best qb play
    RB - very good way above average
    TE - very good
    Line - made a lot of mistakes, didnt open a lot of holes - thus the cutbacks

Defensive:
    Front seven - still probably as good of a front 7 as ISU will see this season besides OU, Texas, Nebraska.

Secondary - suspect, godfrey is decent, but i would take bell over him in a heartbeat. Shada - Terrible, i still cannot believe with the type of recruiting classes that iowa has had recently that he's the 2nd best cover corner you have...i hope his family donates a ton of money to the athletics department, if not, there's no reason to ever, ever play him in any type of competitive football.

Special teams:
    Punter: as bad as ours....
    Kicker: unknown at this time, but, he didnt appear to have a big time leg for the longer fg's like the hawks have had lately.....

Its simple - spread Iowa out and they don't have the talent to cover that many skill players....you can move the ball on the vaunted IA defense all day.....if you can keep your qb upright which our line did a great job of, to neutralize iwebama - thats a statement by our offensive line....

SH - do you think the hawks are gonna beat wisconsin tonight - please don't say yes....i know they play wisconsin tough, must be one of those games that actually matters to them.....

Good luck with the rest of your season, we got the win we desperately needed and if iowa wins out - thats fine with us, it would only reflect well on ISU for having beat such a "Great" team.....

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    SouthernHawk - i too know a lot of Hawk fans, including my entire family and extended family - all hawk fans, all my closest hawk fans, i'm the lone clone fan....and going into last weeks game was how awesome EIU offense looked against Syracuse and Northern Illinois and how terrible ISU offense and defense looked against UNI and Kent St.......nothing was stopping Iowa without Mich and Ohio st on the schedule - they had already penciled in a big ten championship....

Obviously if you watched the game last week Iowas problems were revealed both Offensively and defensively....

Offensive: questionable at best qb play
    RB - very good way above average
    TE - very good
    Line - made a lot of mistakes, didnt open a lot of holes - thus the cutbacks

Defensive:
    Front seven - still probably as good of a front 7 as ISU will see this season besides OU, Texas, Nebraska.

Secondary - suspect, godfrey is decent, but i would take bell over him in a heartbeat. Shada - Terrible, i still cannot believe with the type of recruiting classes that iowa has had recently that he's the 2nd best cover corner you have...i hope his family donates a ton of money to the athletics department, if not, there's no reason to ever, ever play him in any type of competitive football.

Special teams:
    Punter: as bad as ours....
    Kicker: unknown at this time, but, he didnt appear to have a big time leg for the longer fg's like the hawks have had lately.....

Its simple - spread Iowa out and they don't have the talent to cover that many skill players....you can move the ball on the vaunted IA defense all day.....if you can keep your qb upright which our line did a great job of, to neutralize iwebama - thats a statement by our offensive line....

SH - do you think the hawks are gonna beat wisconsin tonight - please don't say yes....i know they play wisconsin tough, must be one of those games that actually matters to them....

Good luck with the rest of your season, we got the win we desperately needed and if iowa wins out - thats fine with us, it would only reflect well on ISU for having beat such a "Great" team.....
    Nope, that would be ignorant. I honestly - not even on the rivals/scout boards - haven't seen/heard more than 2 people predict an Iowa win with a straight face.

Yes, most Hawk fans were expecting something big this season, after the Alamo Bowl and with the first two wins, along with no UM or OSU on the schedule, it looked like a big year for Iowa.

Who knows, it still can be, but they have to prove something first.

All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

I would say the hawkfan was expecting at least $2.8 MILLION worth out of KF.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 349

Iowa played pretty good with 90% of their team last week. Too bad about all the injuries and suspensions. Wisconsin was totally beatable.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-25-2007 at 11:54 PM.
    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The bottom line is that you typically get mediocre results from mediocre coaches like Ferentz.

I cheer for two teams, Iowa State and whoever is playing the hawkeyes.