Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 3

Egress Window Installation

Should I hire this out or do it myself? We have a poured concrete foundation if that makes a difference. Also, how much will this cost (not including the cost of the window)? What is the best time of year to do this?

I've done some research online, but can't really find any detailed information. If anyone on here has taken on an egress window installation project, I would appreciate some input...

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 44
    Given: 8

Re: Egress Window Installation

I had it done a few years back. It was a crazy amount of work. Took a crew a full day with 3 guys, so I would not try it myself. Total cost was a smidge over $3k including the window. But I put a big one in, 48x48.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I had it done a few years back. It was a crazy amount of work. Took a crew a full day with 3 guys, so I would not try it myself. Total cost was a smidge over $3k including the window. But I put a big one in, 48x48.

Did that include digging the window well?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 297
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

I have done 5 egress window and would do another one tomorrow if I needed one. I did the standard 3' x 4' windows in each of the 5. I did one in my own house and the other 4 a buddy and I did for other people. We dug the dirt out ourselves with shovels and hauled it away in a trailer. Get your window well and dig until you can fit the well in the opening how you want it and then go another 6-8" deeper. Get some peat rock and poor it in about 8" deep so you can drain.

You will need to get a cement saw and cut out your hole. Cut the opening so the hole is the width of the window plus 1 3/4" on each side for the 2x6 frame you build and the same for the bottom. I cut out the openings on the wall but if there is one part to hire out that would be the one. If you do it yourself, get an electric saw and not the 2 stroke engine driven ones because sometimes ventilation isn't enough in tight quarters. Then frame in the window, install the window and then spray expandafoam in every seam to close it up. Then trim it out on the outside and inside and you have it done a heck of a lot cheaper than if you hire it out. At the time I did it some outfit wanted $2,500 to do it and I did it for $250 window, $100 window well, green treated 2x6's to frame the window, peat rock for the base, trim boards for the outside and however you want to finish it off on the inside, cement screws to secure the framed 2x6's to the wall as well as the window well to the foundation, caulk and expandafoam.

I actually enjoyed doing them and did them. Take a couple week nights to dig the hole and than on a Saturday get some guys to help you cut out the opening and then it don't take long at all. Poured walls take a little bit more to get out but it's worth it in the end.

You can do it.....

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

To be a little clearer on cutting the opening. We cut out the opening, tipped the chunk of foundating in a hole and than either used something to lift it out of the hole or we broke it up with a sledge hammer and threw it out chunk by chunk. If you hire that part out than hire an outfit that has the saws where they use water to wash away the concrete dust instead of it getting all over the place. They come in cut the hole for you, take out the chunk and leave you with the framing part. If you do it yourself then tarp off the room you are putting the window in to restrict the area and keep dust limited to that area.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 61
    Given: 18

I did 2 a few years ago, the worse part was digging the holes. Cutting the wall isnt easy but it goes fairly quick. If you know something about home repair and home structure the rest isnt that bad. If you dont hire it done.

The gap in our economy is between what we have and what we think we ought to have--and that is a moral problem, not an economic one. - Paul Heyne

Prospect
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 273
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 0

If you are looking to hire out there is a good business out of Carroll (not sure where your located but they will travel) that I have used and doesn't hurt to get the free estimate offered.

West Central Iowa Basement Repair & Foundation Repair, Iowa Basement Waterproofing, Crawl Space Recovery

Rookie
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 30
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Also, I'm a little confused on the requirements. Do I need an egress window in each room in the basement or do I just need one egress window to meet codes? For example, we are putting two bedrooms downstairs in addition to a "family room." If we just put an egress window in the family room, will that meet code. Is it illegal to add a bedroom without an egress window or can it just not be classified as a bedroom unless it has an egress window.

Starter
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 754
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am pretty sure if there's a door on it & it's being used as a bedroom then code says it has to have an egress. I know a guy that is partner of a construction company & he quoted me $1500-1600 dug, cut, framed, & installed. If you're around central IA I can give you his name

Pro
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,261
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    Should I hire this out or do it myself? We have a poured concrete foundation if that makes a difference. Also, how much will this cost (not including the cost of the window)? What is the best time of year to do this?

I've done some research online, but can't really find any detailed information. If anyone on here has taken on an egress window installation project, I would appreciate some input...
    good lord. hire it out.

We had the cement guy come dig the hole

We then had 3-4 guys come back with their big wet saw and cut out the existing window and doubled the size.

We had the window guy install the window.

We then had the landscaping guy install the semi-circle retaining wall, and added river rock

We had another guy trim out the new window

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think the point of having egress window as a requirement for a basement is only so you can exit the basement easily other than going up the stairs in case of fire. So I don't think you would need a egress window for each bedroom you have in the basement. I don't know the code but that is common sense.

The guy who would do it turnkey for $1,400-1,500 would be a good deal.

All-Star
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 7

Quote Originally Posted by every_yard View Post
    Also, I'm a little confused on the requirements. Do I need an egress window in each room in the basement or do I just need one egress window to meet codes? For example, we are putting two bedrooms downstairs in addition to a "family room." If we just put an egress window in the family room, will that meet code. Is it illegal to add a bedroom without an egress window or can it just not be classified as a bedroom unless it has an egress window.
    They would be considered "non-conforming" bedrooms, and most real estate professionals / appraisers would not count them in the total # of bedrooms in the home.

A non-conforming bedroom may not have a closet, window access, may not be sufficient as a safety access, may not have heating or ventilation, lower ceiling height or a permit.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I meant $1,500-1,600. Couldn't figure out how to edit a post on my droid phone