Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

Notre Dame

Seeing Chip Brown's tweet about ND moving non-football sports to the Big 12. Let me be the first to say that if they don't want to be a full member of the Big 12 I don't want them.

I have absolutely no issue with Notre Dame being in the Big 12, in fact I would love to have the Irish. However, I don't want to be a league that has members that aren't full participants in every sport they compete in that the conference offers. I don't like opening that door. If you want in a conference join the conference. Don't use the conference for your convenience of scheduling in the sports that aren't revenue producing. We don't need ND basketball or Womens Tennis to be a viable athletic conference and having notre dame in those doesn't really add anything for the league in terms of value.

The school while an excellent undergrad institution doesn't really provide all that much as far as I know in terms of grad level work that leads to research dollars.

So that leads me to ask. Unless ND football may join down the road. Why add them? What do they offer other than football that is all that coveted?

"Blamo"! The new CF approved swear word.

CyBer

Re: Notre Dame

Do not want (unless they are fully here).

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,154
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 74
    Given: 400

agreed.

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 735
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 14

I'd hate to be a temporary landing spot for them to eventually join the Big 10 as a football member.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 19

Been discussed, but I agree...no thanks

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 251
    Given: 104

Agreed completely. Be a full member or not at all. Willing to accept a transitional plan (they're contractually obligated to a LOT of games for the next several games, and it would be expensive to buy those out to fit into our conf schedule), but no unconditional join without everything being brought in.

More big picture, the last thing we need is to set a precedent that this is something accepted in this league. One of the biggest things keeping UT from going independent in football is that they have no acceptable place to park their other sports. If we allow ND in for everything but football, then it gives Texas reason to make that OK too, if they so desire in a few years.

Legend
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 466
    Given: 941

Yeah, the only reason that I could see to do this now, would be to lock them up for the future. If/when the top conferences all start going to 14, then 16, all of the conferences will be scrambling to find top shelf additions. At some point, in the superconference future, ND may be put into a positon where they HAVE to join a conference or lose their chance ever reach a BCS level bowl. If, at that time, they are tied to the Big12 in everything other than football, it would be a logical decision to become a full member.

That's the only positive I can see from that move.

The negative is that it might open the door to UT going independent for football. I really don't think that is going to be a viable option for anyone (even ND) in the future though.

Recruit
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Another benefit for having Notre Dame, which the Big East currently takes advantage of, is scheduling in football. Being an independent, they can schedule whoever they want to with football, and by locking them in with other sports, we can lock them in to play 4 or 6 big 12 teams a season. This would undoubtedly be a transition to a full membership in the Big 12 at some point down the road, but remember all of the TV revenue and TV sets that Notre Dame adds, that would be a nice addition to the Big 12 and Iowa State.

Dont be so quick to shoot down this idea, as Notre Dame will HAVE to join a conference at some point in the future, and getting them involved in the Big 12 might just help us in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by cyhiphopp View Post
    Yeah, the only reason that I could see to do this now, would be to lock them up for the future. If/when the top conferences all start going to 14, then 16, all of the conferences will be scrambling to find top shelf additions. At some point, in the superconference future, ND may be put into a positon where they HAVE to join a conference or lose their chance ever reach a BCS level bowl. If, at that time, they are tied to the Big12 in everything other than football, it would be a logical decision to become a full member.

That's the only positive I can see from that move.

The negative is that it might open the door to UT going independent for football. I really don't think that is going to be a viable option for anyone (even ND) in the future though.

Rookie
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 22

If they were a member in everything in football, would they have to pay the full exit fee if then went somewhere else in a few years?

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by pikecy10 View Post
    Another benefit for having Notre Dame, which the Big East currently takes advantage of, is scheduling in football. Being an independent, they can schedule whoever they want to with football, and by locking them in with other sports, we can lock them in to play 4 or 6 big 12 teams a season. This would undoubtedly be a transition to a full membership in the Big 12 at some point down the road, but remember all of the TV revenue and TV sets that Notre Dame adds, that would be a nice addition to the Big 12 and Iowa State.

Dont be so quick to shoot down this idea, as Notre Dame will HAVE to join a conference at some point in the future, and getting them involved in the Big 12 might just help us in the long run.

Good thinking. It would be pretty nice to take advantage of NDs NBC contract to get extra TV spots for games in the future. Any "non-conference" game at ND would get national coverage, and we could use a Big12 slot for another game. That would benefit Big12 teams even if they aren't scheduling ND. If UT and OU want to go to ND and be on NBC, that give ISU another TV slot for one of our non-con games.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 992
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 43

As I said in another thread, Texas likes the idea because they have a lot of time to fill on the LHN. They want games like TX vs ND in baseball, soccer, volleyball, etc, etc on their schedule.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

As long as there is a hand shake deal included ensuring that ND join the conference in the event that they have to join a conference, I'm cool with it.

As for the B1G, I think aligning with the Big12 like this would burn some bridges for ND.

All-Star
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 40
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CyBer View Post
    Do not want (unless they are fully here).
    I think you are missing the benefits, even if football never joins. Their deal with big east includes football games in mon conf schedule, 3-4 I believe. Those games are worth about a million dollars per school. Even if ISU gets ND every 3 years, I think it would be great to have a home and home with ND. Money, recruiting, and just lots of fun for cyclones fans. ND is solid pickup for conf in non football sports as well.

Besides if they do decide to join a conference in fb, the odds of it being big 12 go up substantially if there other sports are already there.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Level completed: 73%, Points required for next Level: 271
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 10

Don't
    see
    a
    down-
    side.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 855
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

I think it would be a great addition.