Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Athletes send letter to NCAA...want a piece of the TV $

I know most of you don't agree with me, but I'll continue to say that I'll think at some point in the next 10-15 years you'll see football/basketball players choosing to sit out important games (or parts of seasons) if there is no major reforms from the NCAA in light of the insane TV money.

As much as most of us don't like the idea of pay for play, there is a tension building behind the walls that something is going to have to be done about eventually.

1. Earlier today the NCAA prez suggested a 2,000 increase in scholarships per year

http://www.cyclonefanatic.com/forum/...contracts.html

2. Now, it comes to light that more than 300 select players have sent a letter to NCAA office and presidents suggesting something that smells like pay for play. 2,000 per player isn't going to cut in in the athlete's minds. I've included some of the AP article below...

APNewsBreak: College athletes press NCAA reform - Yahoo! Sports

The players from Arizona, Georgia Tech, Kentucky, Purdue and UCLA have signed a petition asking the NCAA to “realize its mission to educate and protect us with integrity.” The National College Players Association, an athletes’ advocacy group, provided The Associated Press with copies of the document for release Monday. Players started sending the petition to the NCAA last week.

The document urges the NCAA and college presidents to set aside an unspecified amount of money from what it estimates is $775 million in recently acquired TV revenues in an “educational lock box” for football and men’s basketball players. Players could tap those funds to help cover educational costs if they exhaust their athletic eligibility before they graduate. And they could receive what’s left of the money allocated to them with no strings attached upon graduating—a step that would undoubtedly be seen by some as professionalizing college sports.

-----

The idea is opposed by NCAA President Mark Emmert and others who cite the amateurism ideal as the backbone of college sports. Locke, however, is adamant that players must also benefit from the skyrocketing profits schools now see from renegotiated television deals, noting the Pac-12’s joint 12-year agreement with ESPN and Fox is worth $3 billion, the richest in college sports.

-----

The current initiative was limited to a handful of schools with some of the most outspoken players in order to submit the petition before this week’s NCAA meeting, Huma said. He expects many more players from other schools to join while also lobbying state and federal lawmakers.
    “This is the beginning of this strategy, not the end,” he said.

-------

Purdue athletic director Morgan Burke, a member of the NCAA Division I Leadership Council, cautioned that economic realities could make it difficult for schools that don’t profit from sports to come up with extra money for athletes, whether to cover scholarship shortfalls or the proposed lock-box fund. He noted that fewer than two dozen of the more than 300 Division I schools turned an annual profit, according to the most recent figures.
    “Without identifying a funding mechanism, it is hard to see how many of these schools would be able to pay this added amount, which—depending upon the number of student-athletes—could approximate $1 million a year,” Burke said.

--------

Purdue quarterback Rob Henry, who persuaded more than 70 teammates to sign the petition, said that the assertion that college athletes should be grateful for receiving a mostly-free education is misplaced. He called the player demands a matter of simple fairness.
    “Without the athletes, there are no Division I sports,” he said. “There are no TV contracts, there are no coaches’ contracts. Athletes should be the number one priority.”

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 244

Re: Athletes send letter to NCAA...want a piece of the TV $

you may be right, but I think it will create more problems than it solves. That said, I don't think it solves anything. a little money will turn into more money will turn into a lot of money. No amount is "enough money"

What do you pay the bench warmers? Can players be cut who are not fulfilling their potential?

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

So why do football and men's basketball players get money and not other athletes? Do these players have a lot of lawyer friends that they want to help get rich from Title IX lawsuits?

Also, are the players counting the extra benefits that they get? I would imagine that 90% of the SEC players are thinking, "$2000? I get more than that at any fundraising event anyway".

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by madcityCY View Post
    you may be right, but I think it will create more problems than it solves. That said, I don't think it solves anything. a little money will turn into more money will turn into a lot of money. No amount is "enough money"

What do you pay the bench warmers? Can players be cut who are not fulfilling their potential?
    Yeah, pay for play opens a whole can of worms.

1. Do football players get the same as golfers?
    2. How much is enough?
    3. At what level of athletics is pay for play okay? Florida? South Florida? Florida International? Some division 2 school in Florida? Where do you draw the line?

I'm not saying I think pay for play should happen, but the players are going to take some drastic actions in the next 10 years if no reforms come in the first place.

Addict
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 1,329
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 271
    Given: 69

No pay. The kids get a free education if the want get paid, go pro. College is to develop you for the real world just like any job. If a pro league makes you go to school for a couple years, great....just like if you try to get a job at Goldman sachs.

Addict
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 728
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 136

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    Yeah, pay for play opens a whole can of worms.

1. Do football players get the same as golfers?
    2. How much is enough?
    3. At what level of athletics is pay for play okay? Florida? South Florida? Florida International? Some division 2 school in Florida? Where do you draw the line?

I'm not saying I think pay for play should happen, but the players are going to take some drastic actions in the next 10 years if no reforms come in the first place.
    What drastic actions do the players have available, a strike? How long do you think it'll take to find someone else that's willing to be "exploited" for a free education?

If they feel so abused why don't they just quit and be just a traditional student that can get a job. Personally, I think their anger is directed at the wrong people. Why not complain to the NFL and NBA. They are the one's pretty much forcing these athletes to attend school when it's pretty obvious that they don't have any desire to be there.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clonehomer View Post
    What drastic actions do the players have available, a strike? How long do you think it'll take to find someone else that's willing to be "exploited" for a free education?

If they feel so abused why don't they just quit and be just a traditional student that can get a job. Personally, I think their anger is directed at the wrong people. Why not complain to the NFL and NBA. They are the one's pretty much forcing these athletes to attend school when it's pretty obvious that they don't have any desire to be there.
    And what if an entire team goes on strike? Or an entire conference? How is that going to go over when the rules state you can only sign 25 players?

And yes, the NFL and NBA have to love having a free minor league system. However, the colleges are getting all this football TV money for running the minor league system and distributing it to scholarships and infrastructure for all the non-revenue sports. Do the football players think that is fair?

I don't know what the answers are, but there are plenty of problems.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 162
    Given: 36

I may have to move to HS sports only if we start paying these whiners.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 2,072

If I was the product that these non-profits organizations were making money on, I would want a cut of it.

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

Addict
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 232
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 234
    Given: 50

Paying any athletes any extra amount seems to me like it would just open too many loopholes. The system's not always fair, these guys don't have to go to college, especially college basketball players. There are plenty of leagues in Europe that will pay you a lot of money if you are good enough to hack it over there.

Addict
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 133
    Given: 244

The way I see it, these guys already are getting a cut.

What's the cost of a college education these days? Sometimes over $50,000 just in tuition?

How many of these athletes actually worth that to the Unoversity? Does the 3rd string right guard make that back for his school?

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 248
    Given: 30

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    If I was the product that these non-profits organizations were making money on, I would want a cut of it.
    My boss makes a hell of a lot more money on me than I'm paid. Non-profit or not doesn't matter.

Welcome to the real world, athletes.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 64.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,548
    Given: 2,072

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    My boss makes a hell of a lot more money on me than I'm paid. Non-profit or not doesn't matter.

Welcome to the real world, athletes.
    Not favoring or disfavoring right now, but I would surely want a cut.

If it were to happen that way, that might be the thing that finally burst the bubble on the ever-expanding athletic revenue stream. That actually might not be a bad thing (at least for argument's sake).

Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!

http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 260
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 4

If they get paid, they should also start paying their own tuition. I also think at that point (if not already), college athletic departments need to lose their tax exempt status.

Like someone above said, if they start to get paid, I'm done with college sports. These aren't the minors - even if that's how they are treated.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 584
    Given: 985

very embarassing...id love to have a full ride for school yet greedy ****** want more money? this is why sports are becoming worse by the second

Category 3 Boat Shoes Campus Rep
    PM for Discounts / Promo Codes

Talk to ISUCubsWin for Category 4
    Talk to BU4ISU for Category 5
    Talk to mjacobs for Category XXX