The 2011 Big 12 is the stongest conference in the history of college football.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

The 2011 Big 12 is the stongest conference in the history of college football.

It is hard to argue that this is not the best conference in history, including the SEC.

1. The conference's 7th or 8th ranked team beat the number 1-3 team in the country, Oklahoma, in Norman. Oklahoma had a 39-game winning streak in Norman, and had lost there only twice in the Bob Stoops-era (2001-Oklahoma State, 2005-TCU).

2. Kansas State is 7-0. Five weeks ago, at the beginning of conference play, ESPN had them ranked 9th out of 10 in their power rankings.

3. The conference had the best non-conference record of any conference since 1996. The only three non-conference losses were to Georgia Tech, who lost their first game last week, Arkansas, who is a Top 10 team, and Arizona State, who is a favorite in the Pac-12 South.

4. Iowa State, despite playing poorly against UNI and UConn, and not playing a full four quarters against Iowa, still won all three. They have lost four in a row to Big 12 competition, and have not been close in many of the games.

It is time the Big 12 gets credit where credit is due. After Texas Tech beat Oklahoma, I am absolutely convinced that the Big 12 has to be the strongest conference in my lifetime, and probably ever given parity with the 85-scholarship rule. I will argue this point until the cows come home.

Prospect
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 172
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: The 2011 Big 12 is the stongest conference in the history of college football.

For instance, look at how ISU would likely do against Nebraska and Iowa's schedule. Keep in mind how much Nebraska has been complaining about their schedule. Resist the impulse to automatically dismiss a couple of these games as wrong, because ISU's defense is a top 3 or 4 defense in the Big 12, which would keep them in pretty much every Big Ten game. Additionally, they would not have to match Big Ten teams score-for-score.

Against Nebraska's schedule:
    -UT-Chattanooga W (1-0)
    -Fresno State W (2-0)
    -Washington W (3-0). ISU is used to playing QBs like Keith Price. Washington plays a lot like a Big 12 team, but has a much worse defense than ISU.
    -Wyoming W (4-0)
    -Wisconsin L (4-1). This would be closer than what people think, since Wisconsin has a Big 12-type QB, and they would be slower all-around than a Big 12 team. Plus, their defense is not as good as originally thought.
    -Ohio State W (5-1). ISU wins this, because Ohio State cannot move the ball. ISU can score, just not enough against Big 12 teams to keep up.
    -Minnesota W (6-1)
    -Michigan State L (6-2). Personally, I think ISU wins this game, because it would be at home. However, I understand that the public perception is that this team is the best in the Big Ten right now. That might be true, but ISU's defense is functionally as good as MSU, they are just on the field more and statistically would not look as strong. I would take our offense against theirs.
    -Northwestern W (7-2). Dealing with Persa would not be as difficult as dealing with a Big 12 QB. It would not be a blowout, but Northwestern does not have a field-stretching WR or a RB who can take the focus from Persa.
    -Penn State L (7-3). If this game were at home, I would take ISU as proxy for Nebraska's schedule. I would not think that ISU goes in to State College and wins, but everything else tells me that ISU is better. PSU has not looked good -- they are good defensively, but pretty anemic offensively.
    -Michigan L (7-4)
    -Iowa W (8-4)

So, 8-4 with Nebraska's schedule, and personally I would think we would go at least 9-3, but was conservative in my picks.

Against Iowa's schedule:
    Tennessee Tech W (1-0)
    Iowa State, so Iowa W (2-0)
    Pitt W (3-0)
    Louisiana-Monroe W (4-0)
    Penn State L (4-1). See above for explanation.
    Northwestern W (5-1)
    Indiana W (6-1)
    Minnesota W (7-1)
    Michigan L (7-2)
    Michigan State L (7-3)
    Purdue W (8-3)
    Nebraska L (8-4)

So, it would be very comparable with Iowa's schedule and Nebraska's. I personally think that ISU could beat Michigan at home, but was conservative in picking. I also think that ISU-Nebraska would be extremely equal this year. ISU's defense is better, and Martinez and Jantz/Barnett are pretty comparable.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

Re: The 2011 Big 12 is the stongest conference in the history of college football.

I don't think it's anywhere close to being the best conference in history. The best conference this year, probably. But we're giving up way too many points as a conference to call this year's Big 12 the best ever. Needs more balance.

Starter
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 836
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 1

LOL, not sure if srs

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 651
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 24

Didn't see the "how we'd do against Iowa and Nebraska's schedule" post. Wow. Really? Did you stay up all night playing those games on PS3? The way we've been playing lately, we'd be lucky to get to 4-5 wins with their schedules.

Pro
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,181
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 276

good reason for ISU to get out and find something they can be good in

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Achievements:
    VeteranRecommendation Second Class10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10

Holy. Hell.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Epic Fail

All-Star
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 514
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 3

Take it easy guys. He made some good, if exaggerated points. Put down the pitchforks and discuss. That's what the board is for, right?

I have to agree: the Big XII this year is ridiculous. Best ever? I don't know but it certainly has been an exciting year. Almost makes me wish Nebraska was around because that would have only thickened the plot more. A K-State/Nebraska bowl match up would be awesome to see the K-State rushing attack up against the Husker D.

Not sure we'd go 8-4 w/ Nebby's specific schedule but I would say we could probably compete with the bottom half of the B10 much more easily than the bottom half of the Big XII.

Minnesota and Indiana are just awful, Purdue is streaky at best, and we DID beat Iowa.

I gotta figure if we went 3-0 in non-con playing cupcakes and beat those 4 that's 7 wins. Which is more [regular season] wins than ISU has had since I became a fan.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 307

WOW. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt until you said we'd beat Ohio State.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 178
    Given: 23

Quote Originally Posted by nrussell2011 View Post
    It is hard to argue that this is not the best conference in history, including the SEC.

1. The conference's 7th or 8th ranked team beat the number 1-3 team in the country, Oklahoma, in Norman. Oklahoma had a 39-game winning streak in Norman, and had lost there only twice in the Bob Stoops-era (2001-Oklahoma State, 2005-TCU).

2. Kansas State is 7-0. Five weeks ago, at the beginning of conference play, ESPN had them ranked 9th out of 10 in their power rankings.

3. The conference had the best non-conference record of any conference since 1996. The only three non-conference losses were to Georgia Tech, who lost their first game last week, Arkansas, who is a Top 10 team, and Arizona State, who is a favorite in the Pac-12 South.

4. Iowa State, despite playing poorly against UNI and UConn, and not playing a full four quarters against Iowa, still won all three. They have lost four in a row to Big 12 competition, and have not been close in many of the games.

It is time the Big 12 gets credit where credit is due. After Texas Tech beat Oklahoma, I am absolutely convinced that the Big 12 has to be the strongest conference in my lifetime, and probably ever given parity with the 85-scholarship rule. I will argue this point until the cows come home.
    So you use the facts that an average TTU team winning @ OU, and ISU struggling against average teams and getting ripped by decent teams, as evidence that the Big 12 is the best conference in the history of football?

Ummm... strong, yes. Best ever? No. Not even the best this year. That title goes to the SEC. By far. LSU and Bama are excellent teams, and would thrash pretty much any other team out there right now. Followed by UGA, Arkansas, and South Carolina, there is no doubt that the SEC is continuing their dominance.

The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 65
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by SplitIdentity View Post
    So you use the facts that an average TTU team winning @ OU, and ISU struggling against average teams and getting ripped by decent teams, as evidence that the Big 12 is the best conference in the history of football?

Ummm... strong, yes. Best ever? No. Not even the best this year. That title goes to the SEC. By far. LSU and Bama are excellent teams, and would thrash pretty much any other team out there right now. Followed by UGA, Arkansas, and South Carolina, there is no doubt that the SEC is continuing their dominance.

This pretty much states your team is a **** pile. Wish we could be in the weak 10.

Last edited by Palmer; 10-23-2011 at 09:33 AM.
    Carrying the banner for ISU.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 217

Quote Originally Posted by nrussell2011 View Post
    -Wisconsin L (4-1). This would be closer than what people think, since Wisconsin has a Big 12-type QB, and they would be slower all-around than a Big 12 team. Plus, their defense is not as good as originally thought.
    -Ohio State W (5-1). ISU wins this, because Ohio State cannot move the ball. ISU can score, just not enough against Big 12 teams to keep up.
    -Michigan State L (6-2). Personally, I think ISU wins this game, because it would be at home. However, I understand that the public perception is that this team is the best in the Big Ten right now. That might be true, but ISU's defense is functionally as good as MSU, they are just on the field more and statistically would not look as strong. I would take our offense against theirs.
    You're either purposefully being an idiot or know nothing about college football. Wisconsin and MSU would HAMMER us and we would not beat OSU but I do agree that we could give them a game. OSU defense would eat our offense alive

ABC - Always Be Closing

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,393
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 376
    Given: 65

I think someone is trolling . . .

“Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge, which is power; religion gives man wisdom, which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.”

Martin Luther King Jr.

Addict
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 352
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 554
    Given: 115

No not even the best that the B12/B8 has been. In 95 (last year of the Big 8), Nebby waxed Florida by 40+ in the NC game, and CU, K-State and KU all finished in top 8 final rankings. That was half of the conference that finished in the top 8 in the country.