DistrictCyclone

What is it about the SEC that makes them drag their feet?

It seems like anytime realignment gets drawn out and takes forever like this, the SEC is the common factor. Pitt and Syracuse to the ACC literally happened overnight. The PAC gobbled up Colorado and Utah in a heartbeat. The MWC and WAC swap members like they're trading baseball cards. Even Nebraska to the Big Ten, which seemed to take eons back then, occurred in the blink of an eye compared to this garbage with aTm and Mizz-urr-uhh.

And my question is why? What is it about the SEC that seems to require so many back-room meetings, misleading press releases, and outright deceptive, dishonest, and sleazy behavior in order to add a school to their conference? Is Mike Slive that concerned with litigation that he feels the need to demand that each university president get explicit approval from their governing boards (you'd think Brady Deaton isn't able to blow his nose without approval from the regents based on the amount of times he's had to get "permission" to do this or that)? Is the SEC's ego that large that it needs to be stroked for a couple months before saying "yes"? Are the SEC presidents, like their schools, just a bunch of bumbling hicks that can't agree on anything? I don't get it.

While I have and will respect what the SEC can do on the field, I have completely lost any respect I have for the conference as an organization. They were playing footsie with aTm for a year, knowing full-well that the Big 12 was trying to patch things up for the betterment of its remaining members. They flat out lied when they said "we're comfortable at 12". They did it again when they said "we're comfortable at 13", even though the entire world called ******** on that one. They protracted the aTm saga long enough to make the world nauseous, and are now doing the same thing with MU. Why can't they just be like everyone else: make up your mind, pull the trigger, and let the rest of the world move on.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Re: What is it about the SEC that makes them drag their feet?

Read this...I've included a selection below.

Will Missouri End Realignment Rumor Misery? ę FRANK THE TANK’S SLANT

This got me thinking about Missouri and the SEC. (We could go a whole lot of ways with that one, no?) Last year, when the Big Ten was going through its expansion evaluation process, Tom Osborne talked about how Jim Delany had him fly to secret locations in order to avoid any press. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has openly complained about people tracking the private jets that he uses via FlightAware, as that could tip off the public about schools he was meeting with. Last month, a story broke on a random Friday night out of the blue that the ACC was looking to invite Syracuse and Pitt and a press conference confirming the invitations was held less than 48 hours later. Even with all of the rumors surrounding who the Big 12 would invite over the past few weeks, it has kept and continues to keep its true intentions muddled, with the TCU invite coming quickly and it still being unclear how the conference is going to proceed. Much like mergers and acquisitions in the business world, the major conferences have tried to keep their expansion plans in a shroud of secrecy and misdirection, which has fueled a cottage industry of blogs like this one along with providing reams of message board speculation.

The SEC, though, doesnít play that way. Clandestine expansion operations? Pfffffft. Oh sure, Mike Slive will continuously issue official statements that ďThe SEC is happy right now and it isnít inviting any school thatís already a member of another conference.Ē Of course, that SEC position means that it fully expects and requires any school that wants to join the league to publicly break up with its current conference just like in The Confrontation in Cheaters before applying. This seems to more than just a legal technicality. For all of the CYA tactics that Slive and the SEC presidents used prior to admitting Texas A&M, I honestly think that they get a kick out of public institutions openly going through a divorce with their current leagues. As a result, we have a fairly unprecedented situation where two different schools (Texas A&M and now Missouri) have gone through extremely long, public and acrimonious processes just to get to the point of applying to the SEC. I canít really tell you whether this is really the right or wrong approach compared to the Big Tenís Operation Purple Book Cat, but one thing should be clear: the SEC doesnít do any super secret invites. Thus, forget about the thought that the SEC might be targeting West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State and/or Clemson. Itís all about Missouri right now.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    Read this...I've included a selection below.

Will Missouri End Realignment Rumor Misery? ę FRANK THE TANKíS SLANT

This got me thinking about Missouri and the SEC. (We could go a whole lot of ways with that one, no?) Last year, when the Big Ten was going through its expansion evaluation process, Tom Osborne talked about how Jim Delany had him fly to secret locations in order to avoid any press. Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott has openly complained about people tracking the private jets that he uses via FlightAware, as that could tip off the public about schools he was meeting with. Last month, a story broke on a random Friday night out of the blue that the ACC was looking to invite Syracuse and Pitt and a press conference confirming the invitations was held less than 48 hours later. Even with all of the rumors surrounding who the Big 12 would invite over the past few weeks, it has kept and continues to keep its true intentions muddled, with the TCU invite coming quickly and it still being unclear how the conference is going to proceed. Much like mergers and acquisitions in the business world, the major conferences have tried to keep their expansion plans in a shroud of secrecy and misdirection, which has fueled a cottage industry of blogs like this one along with providing reams of message board speculation.

The SEC, though, doesnít play that way. Clandestine expansion operations? Pfffffft. Oh sure, Mike Slive will continuously issue official statements that ďThe SEC is happy right now and it isnít inviting any school thatís already a member of another conference.Ē Of course, that SEC position means that it fully expects and requires any school that wants to join the league to publicly break up with its current conference just like in The Confrontation in Cheaters before applying. This seems to more than just a legal technicality. For all of the CYA tactics that Slive and the SEC presidents used prior to admitting Texas A&M, I honestly think that they get a kick out of public institutions openly going through a divorce with their current leagues. As a result, we have a fairly unprecedented situation where two different schools (Texas A&M and now Missouri) have gone through extremely long, public and acrimonious processes just to get to the point of applying to the SEC. I canít really tell you whether this is really the right or wrong approach compared to the Big Tenís Operation Purple Book Cat, but one thing should be clear: the SEC doesnít do any super secret invites. Thus, forget about the thought that the SEC might be targeting West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State and/or Clemson. Itís all about Missouri right now.
    So it's basically one big, long ego stroke for Slive and co.? That makes me hate them even more.

All-Star
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    So it's basically one big, long ego stroke for Slive and co.? That makes me hate them even more.
    At least it appears to be one big, long ego stroke.

Look at how every other conference has done expansion...it's been behind the scenes except for a few days.

1. PAC moves to invite the Big 12 South + Colorado...According to Loftin's A&M letter today, it had been in the works for months. Yet, the public didn't get word of it until the end. How long did that whole saga last? A week or week and a half max?

2. Big 10 invites Nebraska. Nobody had a clue what was going on until the week before it happened...One week max

3. TCU to Big 12. Happened literally overnight.

4. Pitt, 'Cuse to ACC. Happened literally overnight.

---

The outlier here? A&M & Mizzou to SEC. Frank the Tank is right...it's like one, long, drawn out messy fight. Doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited by cyman05; 10-21-2011 at 10:00 PM.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,373
    Given: 265

Apparently the SEC doesn't have "SEC speed".

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 26

Missouri and A&M are drama queens. Their biggest problem is those that are being jilted are not unhappy to see their high maintenance girl friends ride off into the sunset.

Swarm & Punish
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 648
    Given: 1,309

Quote Originally Posted by iowa_wildcat View Post
    Missouri and A&M are drama queens. Their biggest problem is those that are being jilted are not unhappy to see their high maintenance girl friends ride off into the sunset.
    And Nebraska isn't?

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 1,468
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 12

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The BigXII is the SEC's biggest conference rival in football. They will do anything and everything they can to damage the BigXII brand and its stability.

***King of Diplomacy***

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 457
    Overall activity: 26.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 181
    Given: 167

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again. The BigXII is the SEC's biggest conference rival in football. They will do anything and everything they can to damage the BigXII brand and its stability.
    Yep.

Faster than a stallion. Meaner than a hungry hound.

All-Star
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 305
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 49
    Given: 26

Did I say any of us were unhappy that Nebraska left? The entire state of Kansas was being flooded by the tears coming from Nebraska fans.

DistrictCyclone

Quote Originally Posted by CycloneWanderer View Post
    Very, very good point. And why wouldn't they be? If they could somehow finagle Texas and OU next and really open up their members to Texas recruits, they'd be absolutely unstoppable, financially and quality-wise...almost deserving of their own NCAA division a level above everyone else.

Addict
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 83
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by DistrictCyclone View Post
    Very, very good point. And why wouldn't they be? If they could somehow finagle Texas and OU next and really open up their members to Texas recruits, they'd be absolutely unstoppable, financially and quality-wise...almost deserving of their own NCAA division a level above everyone else.
    Especially when it has been shown that the NCAA doesn't seem to enforce rules the same when an SEC football team is involved.

"Dog Eat Dog"
    Read the news
    Someone win,
    Someone lose