Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,913, Level: 67
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    47,913
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 467

    Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Does this make anyone nervous?

    Big 10 school and Intermat ranking of recruits
    Illinois - #11, #22, #15
    Iowa - #20, #18, UR
    Michigan - #1, #35, UR, #5
    Michigan State - #65, UR, UR
    Minnesota - #56, UR, #48, #63
    Ohio State - #52, #28, #78
    Penn State - #3
    Purdue - #78, UR
    Wisconsin - #49, #31, #40, UR, #19

    Big 12 Intermat ranking of recruits
    Iowa State - UR, UR, #9
    Missouri - UR, #67, UR, UR
    Oklahoma - UR, #91
    Okie State - #21, UR

    75% of Big 10 recruits ranked in Top 100
    36% of Big 12 recruits ranked in Top 100

    I realize that ranking services are opinions, but is this telling us Big 12 is going to have to do something to attract the top guys better?

    I think the Big 10 network is huge for recruits because of the televised matches.



  2. #2
    Addict
    Points: 83,599, Level: 89
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 151
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    5,761
    Points
    83,599
    Level
    89
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 366
    Given: 618

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    I realize that ranking services are opinions, but is this telling us Big 12 is going to have to do something to attract the top guys better?

    I think the Big 10 network is huge for recruits because of the televised matches.
    It just rips me how well rounded are B10 athletic programs. For wrestling and baseball, and other minor sports, it's one of the best conferences. Sad to see the old B8 wrestling programs take a back seat.


    "We are first and foremost an educational institution that values integrity, honesty and treating others with fairness and respect".

    -ISU President Gregory Geoffroy; circa May 2003.

  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 25,357, Level: 48
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 193
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,522
    Points
    25,357
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by buf87 View Post
    Does this make anyone nervous?

    Big 10 school and Intermat ranking of recruits
    Illinois - #11, #22, #15
    Iowa - #20, #18, UR
    Michigan - #1, #35, UR, #5
    Michigan State - #65, UR, UR
    Minnesota - #56, UR, #48, #63
    Ohio State - #52, #28, #78
    Penn State - #3
    Purdue - #78, UR
    Wisconsin - #49, #31, #40, UR, #19

    Big 12 Intermat ranking of recruits
    Iowa State - UR, UR, #9
    Missouri - UR, #67, UR, UR
    Oklahoma - UR, #91
    Okie State - #21, UR

    75% of Big 10 recruits ranked in Top 100
    36% of Big 12 recruits ranked in Top 100

    I realize that ranking services are opinions, but is this telling us Big 12 is going to have to do something to attract the top guys better?

    I think the Big 10 network is huge for recruits because of the televised matches.
    I don't think it is the BTN that is huge (although it doesn't hurt) as much as it is the Big Ten being the best wrestling conference and has been for some time.

    If you compare the SEC and Big 12 in football recruits you wouldn't find the difference in talent as much as this but the SEC would have more highly ranked recruits simply because it is and has been for awhile the best conference.



  4. #4
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 47,913, Level: 67
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 437
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    4,060
    Points
    47,913
    Level
    67
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 506
    Given: 467

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Couple factors

    1. Pennsyvania, Ohio are big high school wrestling states in the middle of Big 10 country.
    2. I don't think conference toughness has much to do with in. Everybody wrestles everybody. Nobody has a tougher schedule than Iowa State (We have Minnesota, Iowa, Cornell, Nat'l Duals, Midlands, Okie State) matter of fact, we have probably a tougher schedule than most in the Big 10.
    3. Nice thing about Big 10, the Eastern recruits parent have an easier time getting to more meets and if not a chance they might be on TV.



  5. #5
    Rookie
    Points: 17,218, Level: 39
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    511
    Points
    17,218
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by Go2Guy View Post
    It just rips me how well rounded are B10 athletic programs. For wrestling and baseball, and other minor sports, it's one of the best conferences. Sad to see the old B8 wrestling programs take a back seat.



  6. #6
    Rookie
    Points: 17,218, Level: 39
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    511
    Points
    17,218
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 47
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Go2Guy, maybe I am misreading your post. I do not believe the Big 10 is considered by anyone to be a top baseball conference. I can not even remember the last Big 10 team to do anything in the CWS. Now wresting is a completely different story.



  7. #7
    All-Star
    Points: 73,122, Level: 83
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyballz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,013
    Points
    73,122
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 180
    Given: 65

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    baseball?? You mean the conference that hasn't had a team in the College World Series in over 20 years?


    read this post quickly - it might not last long

  8. #8
    Legend
    Points: 243,495, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Clark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ottumwa
    Posts
    13,117
    Points
    243,495
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,441
    Given: 351

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyballz View Post
    baseball?? You mean the conference that hasn't had a team in the College World Series in over 20 years?
    yeah I don't know what he was talking about on that one. Is there a great baseball program above the mason dixon line?

    Maybe you were thinking of hockey?



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 14,487, Level: 36
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,104
    Points
    14,487
    Level
    36
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 91
    Given: 27

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Iowa just landed yet another top 20 kid. That makes 4 in this class. I'm afraid the OP is correct about the "Big 12" falling behind. And I'm afraid we're firmly entrenched in falling behind.



  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 64,679, Level: 78
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 171
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    3,048
    Points
    64,679
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Re: Big 10 vs Big 12 recruits in wrestling

    Quote Originally Posted by Clark View Post
    yeah I don't know what he was talking about on that one. Is there a great baseball program above the mason dixon line?

    Maybe you were thinking of hockey?
    That's likely to change with Nebraska moving to the B10.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: ESPNU
  • HOOPS: Iowa State @ Texas Tech
  • February 10, 2016
  • 08:00 PM