Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 90

Comcast Blast Extra bundle

Looking to make a move in cable and internet provider. Currently have DirecTV for cable, and pretty much satisfied with everything but the price. Honestly the only reason I have TV is to watch college football and local channels occasionally. Internet is currently "borrowed" from neighbor, but wife's new job requires sometimes working from home so she needs a faster connection.

I'm in Colorado, so the markets will be a bit different than Iowa. Most people either have DirecTV, Comcast, or Dish. From what I can tell, Comcast is the only one that offers TV and internet in a bundle.

I'm looking at the Blast Extra package. $40/mo for first year, $55 for second year in a 2-year contract. Up to 25 Mbps, XFINITY TV, Preferred Collection On Demand streaming, etc. The TV package is very basic, pretty much only local channels, which is okay except for the sports. I'm not as tech savvy as I used to be, especially with this wireless technology. Here are my questions:

-I assume I will have to get a router, correct?

-I have one laptop. What other equipment will I have to get?

-My TV is an older 38" LCD flatscreen (not HD). What do I need to do to connect streaming capability?

-Is ESPN3 worth a darn if I want to switch between lots of college FB games on Saturdays?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

Re:Comcast Blast Extra bundle

My qwest router is wireless, check with Comcast, they might have updated their routers. I used my ps3 to stream Espn 3. Which was awesome for bball. You only get over the air channels and cpan with the bottom tier xfinity, but you get a discount on Internet. I do wish I had more than 6 mb connection speed, but I can stream Netflix and other things at that speed. You could stream to a new net enabled tv, your wife would thank you...

All-Star
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 811
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 90

Re: Comcast Blast Extra bundle

Quote Originally Posted by CyLoboClone View Post
    My qwest router is wireless, check with Comcast, they might have updated their routers. I used my ps3 to stream Espn 3. Which was awesome for bball. You only get over the air channels and cpan with the bottom tier xfinity, but you get a discount on Internet. I do wish I had more than 6 mb connection speed, but I can stream Netflix and other things at that speed. You could stream to a new net enabled tv, your wife would thank you...
    Ha, part of the justification for this upgrade is that she just paid her car off..... maybe I should get HER to buy a new TV!

I'm surprised that there isn't some sort of retrofit kit that can do this hookup. I've seen some that will allow you to send the signal from a laptop to the TV, but then that would take the laptop out of use.

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 962
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 4

Re:Comcast Blast Extra bundle

You can stream from the laptop and still use it, although it would slow it down a little. I like you logic, though- good luck shopping for that new tv!