Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 39
  1. #1
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,790, Level: 96
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,186
    Points
    95,790
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Here it is..from Sporting News

    On the decline: Iowa. Does Kirk Ferentz feel guilty cashing his checks? I hope so. This is a program that went 13-12 (7-9 in league play) from 2005-06. Now, ANOTHER loss to Iowa State? (Ferentz is 3-6 vs. Iowa State.) This is what those in the biz call a "trend." And it's a bad one. The magical mojo Ferentz cooked up from 2002-04? Lost in a maze of corn. Facts are facts: The Hawkeyes have fallen -- hard.



  2. #2
    Speechless
    Points: 395,624, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,949
    Points
    395,624
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 301

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    They are just getting back to normal. They play in a real tough conference.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  3. #3
    CF Founder
    Points: 238,987, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Jeremy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Urbandale, IA
    Posts
    13,193
    Points
    238,987
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 299
    Given: 149

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    I would have to agree with what is said there. They had some momentum with a couple good classes but I don't see them having any kind of magical season for at least a couple years. I know they have some talent and overall they have above average players but they don't have what it takes to win the Big Ten for at least the next few years.

    With several programs rebuilding to contend with their normal recruits, I think they're going to have a tough time getting to the level the fans think they're capable of, let alone to the level of the $2.8million for KF. Right now he's probably the most overpayed coach in all of college sports when broken down per win.


    A program isn't built on one player and it doesn't succeed because of one player, thus a program won't fail if it doesn't get that one player.

  4. #4
    Addict
    Points: 213,499, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,038
    Points
    213,499
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 11

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I would have to agree with what is said there. They had some momentum with a couple good classes but I don't see them having any kind of magical season for at least a couple years. I know they have some talent and overall they have above average players but they don't have what it takes to win the Big Ten for at least the next few years.

    With several programs rebuilding to contend with their normal recruits, I think they're going to have a tough time getting to the level the fans think they're capable of, let alone to the level of the $2.8million for KF. Right now he's probably the most overpayed coach in all of college sports when broken down per win.
    The thing is, Iowa won in 2002-2004 with un-ranked recruiting classes.

    So they won with blue collar players. I don't know if it's team chemistry, or just other teams figuring out the vanilla play calling (probably both), but I don't think recruits are the problem.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  5. #5
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,790, Level: 96
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,186
    Points
    95,790
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I would have to agree with what is said there. They had some momentum with a couple good classes but I don't see them having any kind of magical season for at least a couple years. I know they have some talent and overall they have above average players but they don't have what it takes to win the Big Ten for at least the next few years.

    With several programs rebuilding to contend with their normal recruits, I think they're going to have a tough time getting to the level the fans think they're capable of, let alone to the level of the $2.8million for KF. Right now he's probably the most overpayed coach in all of college sports when broken down per win.
    Great points...that $2.8 is becomming a curse. I believe he was given the HUGE raise as a reaction to Iowa States hiring success.



  6. #6
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,698, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,603
    Points
    254,698
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by ketelmeister View Post
    Great points...that $2.8 is becomming a curse. I believe he was given the HUGE raise as a reaction to Iowa States hiring success.
    Which hiring? It wasn't Chizik since the raise was done before that.


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 95,790, Level: 96
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,260
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,186
    Points
    95,790
    Level
    96
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 0

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    Which hiring? It wasn't Chizik since the raise was done before that.
    McDermott...the Hawks wanted him.



  8. #8
    Speechless
    Points: 117,937, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    ISUAlum2002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    15,488
    Points
    117,937
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 38
    Given: 58

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    The thing is, Iowa won in 2002-2004 with un-ranked recruiting classes.

    So they won with blue collar players. I don't know if it's team chemistry, or just other teams figuring out the vanilla play calling (probably both), but I don't think recruits are the problem.
    Yeah, the "better" recruiting classes come with players who have been catered to all their lives. Thus, I believe, where KF came up with the term "Fat Cats" last year. The players aren't used to having to work as hard to succeed, the guys they won with had the chip on their shoulder mentality, and they played well together. Looks like it is a chemistry issue more than anything, we all know they have the talent.



  9. #9
    Addict
    Points: 213,499, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,038
    Points
    213,499
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 11

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by ISUAlum2002 View Post
    Yeah, the "better" recruiting classes come with players who have been catered to all their lives. Thus, I believe, where KF came up with the term "Fat Cats" last year. The players aren't used to having to work as hard to succeed, the guys they won with had the chip on their shoulder mentality, and they played well together. Looks like it is a chemistry issue more than anything, we all know they have the talent.
    That's my thinking. It's really no excuse though - the coaching staff needs to adjust to the talent change. I've never really believed that talent hurts a team more than it helps...

    It just gives more options. However, it has to be utilized, and the players have to be properly taught. The thing is, none of the coaching staff has dealt with players with talent equal to that of which they have on the team right now.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  10. #10
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Calling for Iowa's demise seems a bit premature. With Iowa's schedule and the weakness of the Big X I don't know how anyone can rule them out.

    They have a solid defense and good running backs. Their young offensive line and quarterback will get better as the season progresses. I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see them contend for the Big X conference.

    Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Iowa lose them all, but I think people are over reacting to their loss to ISU. I hate to say this, but I think Iowa has the ingredients of a successful football team.



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 395,624, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    57,949
    Points
    395,624
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 425
    Given: 301

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    When they lose to Northern Illinois and Syracuse, then we will know they are not doing too well. Good scheduling for them to pick those two opponents.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  12. #12
    Addict
    Points: 213,499, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    SplitIdentity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    8,038
    Points
    213,499
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 11

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    When they lose to Northern Illinois and Syracuse, then we will know they are not doing too well. Good scheduling for them to pick those two opponents.
    Although, Iowa picked the two opponents when the were significantly better.


    The artist formerly known as SouthernHawk

  13. #13
    All-Star
    Points: 26,935, Level: 50
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 615
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bettendorf
    Posts
    1,956
    Points
    26,935
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 0

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Even in the best of times neither of these teams are world beaters. Plus, you got to play Norhtern Illinois in Chicago (Iowa City East) ... not their 27,000 seat snakepit in Dekalb.



  14. #14
    Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    313
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernHawk View Post
    That's my thinking. It's really no excuse though - the coaching staff needs to adjust to the talent change. I've never really believed that talent hurts a team more than it helps...

    It just gives more options. However, it has to be utilized, and the players have to be properly taught. The thing is, none of the coaching staff has dealt with players with talent equal to that of which they have on the team right now.
    This an excuse for lossing that I have never heard before, we have too much talent!! If we had not recruited so well we would have won the NC. I guess Hawk fans can find an excuse anywhere at any time for anything.



  15. #15
    All-Star Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,384
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Sporting news...EIU on the decline

    I think it's time to call "hawkscuse" on that one....



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Fox Sports 1
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM