Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 86
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 27,561, Level: 51
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    27,561
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    The Mountain West proposes a playoff. To which Delany, Scott, and Slive say, "no thanks. We'd rather not share the stage with you. Thanks for playing in the FBS division...kind of. We really like the idea that none of your teams will ever have the chance to play for a national championship. Besides, if one of your teams goes undefeated and finishes in the top 5 or 6 we'll let them play in the Fiesta Bowl!"

    Mountain West Conference proposes 16-team college football playoff

    MountainWest
    Commissioner Craig Thompson, in an interview with The Arizona Republic, estimated a playoff would generate $700 million annually for college football, more than three times the nearly $182 million the BCS generated last year.



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 182,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,180
    Points
    182,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,204

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Mountain West and BSU have kicked the living crap out of the two best conferences in BCS games (SEC and B12). They deserve a chance at a real playoff.

    Utah over Alabama was one of the most lopsided BCS games I've ever seen, Alabama was #1 most of that season, yet Utah had no chance at a title.



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 20,734, Level: 43
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 16
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,230
    Points
    20,734
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 276
    Given: 211

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Mountain West and BSU have kicked the living crap out of the two best conferences in BCS games (SEC and B12). They deserve a chance at a real playoff.

    Utah over Alabama was one of the most lopsided BCS games I've ever seen, Alabama was #1 most of that season, yet Utah had no chance at a title.

    Hats off to Utah for winning the game, but I haven't seen a more disinterested team than Alabama that night.



  4. #4
    All-Star
    Points: 27,561, Level: 51
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    27,561
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Mountain West and BSU have kicked the living crap out of the two best conferences in BCS games (SEC and B12). They deserve a chance at a real playoff.

    Utah over Alabama was one of the most lopsided BCS games I've ever seen, Alabama was #1 most of that season, yet Utah had no chance at a title.
    The Mountain West has had some stellar seasons between TCU, Utah, and BYU. Boise has shown they can play with anybody too.

    But as good and deserving as any non-AQ school might be, I doubt they'll ever get the chance to play for a national championship. The voters in the polls would rather put a 2 loss SEC team in there instead.

    Wasn't it a few years ago when Hawaii went undefeated and a 2 loss LSU team made the national championship ahead of them? Yes, Hawaii got romped in their bowl game, but it never did seem right to me that a 2 loss team deserves to play for the national championship ahead of an undefeated team.



  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 182,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,180
    Points
    182,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,204

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Thompson is dead right that a playoff would generate 3x the money the BCS does. I think it's actually a conservative estimate, the catch is different people would be making the money and different people would be making the decisions.

    I would love for him to be our next permanent B12 commissioner if he wanted the job. You can't blame teams for taking Pac 12 and Big 12 invites when the world is clearly divided into BCS and NOT-BCS. He's kept his league relevant with Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii joining even with the losses. They've been better than the Big East for a while now, and now they're likely to still be better than the Big East.



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 182,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,180
    Points
    182,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,204

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    The Mountain West has had some stellar seasons between TCU, Utah, and BYU. Boise has shown they can play with anybody too.

    But as good and deserving as any non-AQ school might be, I doubt they'll ever get the chance to play for a national championship. The voters in the polls would rather put a 2 loss SEC team in there instead.

    Wasn't it a few years ago when Hawaii went undefeated and a 2 loss LSU team made the national championship ahead of them? Yes, Hawaii got romped in their bowl game, but it never did seem right to me that a 2 loss team deserves to play for the national championship ahead of an undefeated team.
    A playoff would at least settle it in reality. That Hawaii team didn't pass the eye test.

    Both Utah teams passed the eye test, BIG TIME. They especially passed it when the Utah defense spent an entire game in Alabama's backfield knocking the crap out of them. Either of those Utah teams had a very good chance at going deep in an 8 or 16 team playoff. I'm not quite as convinced by the BSU and TCU teams, but I don't think anyone would have been thrilled to play them in the first round either.



  7. #7
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Something has to be done, but a 16-team playoff is an awful idea. Eight teams at the absolute most, and frankly, that's overdoing it most years. A Plus One has an actual chance of happening in the near future and would be good enough 90% of the time. Only two teams would have to play an extra game and it wouldn't diminish the bowl system or regular season. Those are the things that are important to the people in charge.



  8. #8
    All-Star
    Points: 27,561, Level: 51
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    27,561
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    Thompson is dead right that a playoff would generate 3x the money the BCS does. I think it's actually a conservative estimate, the catch is different people would be making the money and different people would be making the decisions.

    I would love for him to be our next permanent B12 commissioner if he wanted the job. You can't blame teams for taking Pac 12 and Big 12 invites when the world is clearly divided into BCS and NOT-BCS. He's kept his league relevant with Boise State, Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii joining even with the losses. They've been better than the Big East for a while now, and now they're likely to still be better than the Big East.
    I can easily see a playoff instantly giving every BCS school an instant 7-8 million more per year.

    However, conferences like the Big 10 would never want a playoff because the teams would be determined by an NCAA selection committee. The Big conferences would rather have the teams chosen to play in the games with the current method of size of fanbase to generate money for the bowl games' fat cats rather than an objective criteria of how good teams are.



  9. #9
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 8,722, Level: 27
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 28
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    EZpickins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Ames, Iowa
    Posts
    338
    Points
    8,722
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    The BCS is ridiculously stupid, a playoff needs to be in place now! I can see why all these big time conference commissioners don't want it; they don't even want to give the Boise State's or Utah's the chance to take down their top programs on the way to a National Title.

    Outside of Wisconsin, Boise would win the B1G hands down...


    Comingtoyaaaahaaa!!

  10. #10
    Legend
    Points: 182,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,180
    Points
    182,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,204

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by ISU42 View Post
    Hats off to Utah for winning the game, but I haven't seen a more disinterested team than Alabama that night.
    Utah was really disinterested in the second half because they were blowing them out by half time. It would have been a 50 point loss if Utah played as sharp in the second half.

    The Utah team that blew out Pitt was the second most statistically dominant team in college football history behind the Nebraska team that blew out Florida for the NC. Those are the only two teams to not allow any team within 14 points all season.

    Those two teams were executing the offense that all of college football would soon copycat. The results weren't flukes. They were playing 2011 style football 5-8 years before it got here.



  11. #11
    All-Star
    Points: 27,561, Level: 51
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,089
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,896
    Points
    27,561
    Level
    51
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    Something has to be done, but a 16-team playoff is an awful idea. Eight teams at the absolute most, and frankly, that's overdoing it most years. A Plus One has an actual chance of happening in the near future and would be good enough 90% of the time. Only two teams would have to play an extra game and it wouldn't diminish the bowl system or regular season. Those are the things that are important to the people in charge.
    If you go with a plus one, you have 4 teams who have earned a chance to win.

    But how often in the NCAA BB tourney do you see a 2-4 seed win the thing who is ranked between #5-16 in the rankings? Some team ending the year ranked #9 or #10 in the final poll of the regular season would have a decent shot of winning the college football playoffs. Remember the year that USC beat Iowa in the Orange bowl? They got off to a slow start that year but they were absolutely destroying everyone in the 2nd half of the year. I bet they could've won the national championship that year if there would've been a playoff.

    Besides, half of the fun of the NCAA tourney is that people love to see the underdog compete and the upsets bringing down #1.



  12. #12
    Starter
    Points: 20,983, Level: 44
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 667
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    832
    Points
    20,983
    Level
    44
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    The Mountain West has had some stellar seasons between TCU, Utah, and BYU. Boise has shown they can play with anybody too.

    But as good and deserving as any non-AQ school might be, I doubt they'll ever get the chance to play for a national championship. The voters in the polls would rather put a 2 loss SEC team in there instead.

    Wasn't it a few years ago when Hawaii went undefeated and a 2 loss LSU team made the national championship ahead of them? Yes, Hawaii got romped in their bowl game, but it never did seem right to me that a 2 loss team deserves to play for the national championship ahead of an undefeated team.
    If I remember correctly, Hawaii had the lowest strength of schedule in FBS that year, or at least they were in the bottom ten. I think if it was Boise State that was undefeated and the choice was them or a two-loss SEC team, Boise would get the nod.

    I'm interested to see what happens if Georgia wins the SEC this year. The Dawgs are a legit contender in the SEC East, and anything can happen in a championship game. If Wisconsin, Stanford, Clemson, etc all lose a game and Georgia wins the SEC, it will be tough to justify putting a one-loss LSU/Alabama in the championship game when they didn't even win the SEC and undefeated Boise State beat the SEC champion by a couple touchdowns.



  13. #13
    Pro
    Points: 57,799, Level: 74
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 751
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2,190
    Points
    57,799
    Level
    74
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 99
    Given: 487

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    groundwork for the coming anti-trust action...


    I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 182,440, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    13,180
    Points
    182,440
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,815
    Given: 1,204

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by cyfan15 View Post
    If I remember correctly, Hawaii had the lowest strength of schedule in FBS that year, or at least they were in the bottom ten. I think if it was Boise State that was undefeated and the choice was them or a two-loss SEC team, Boise would get the nod.

    I'm interested to see what happens if Georgia wins the SEC this year. The Dawgs are a legit contender in the SEC East, and anything can happen in a championship game. If Wisconsin, Stanford, Clemson, etc all lose a game and Georgia wins the SEC, it will be tough to justify putting a one-loss LSU/Alabama in the championship game when they didn't even win the SEC and undefeated Boise State beat the SEC champion by a couple touchdowns.
    A good # of B1G teams are going to be looking at 100 range SOS this year.

    Iowa is around 80s/90s now and their next two games are against the worst teams in a BCS conference. Iowa scheduled Pitt and ISU, not every B1G team does that, some of them are playing a cake conference and 4 cupcakes.

    Wisconsin's SOS is significantly lower than Boise State's and may finish that way since the B1G has 3-4 teams as bad as the bottom MWC/WAC teams.

    We're half way through the season and 5 of them are below 80 in SOS. Only two MWC teams are below 80 in SOS. Boise State is 29 and Wisconsin is 131. Who doesn't belong in the BCS? BSU deserves to be there much more at this point.



  15. #15
    Speechless
    Points: 424,019, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    alarson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    West Des Moines, IA
    Posts
    21,790
    Points
    424,019
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 866
    Given: 416

    Re: Mtn West Conference proposes 16 team playoff

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    If you go with a plus one, you have 4 teams who have earned a chance to win.

    But how often in the NCAA BB tourney do you see a 2-4 seed win the thing who is ranked between #5-16 in the rankings? Some team ending the year ranked #9 or #10 in the final poll of the regular season would have a decent shot of winning the college football playoffs. Remember the year that USC beat Iowa in the Orange bowl? They got off to a slow start that year but they were absolutely destroying everyone in the 2nd half of the year. I bet they could've won the national championship that year if there would've been a playoff.

    Besides, half of the fun of the NCAA tourney is that people love to see the underdog compete and the upsets bringing down #1.
    See, i see it the opposite. Part of whats good about the current system is that every game through the whole season matters. One loss is usually devastating to national championship hopes, unless others lose or you play such a difficult SOS that you earn enough quality wins to make up for that loss.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Mediacom 22
  • HOOPS: Iowa State vs. Drake
  • December 20, 2014
  • 04:00 PM