Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Thumbs up Aggies making the trip

Howdy Cyclones,

Me and a buddy of mine are making the 16 hour trek up to Ames from College Station. We are leaving tomorrow and staying in a hotel in Boone (best rate we could find). Anyway, we are looking forward to taking in whatever y'all have to offer. This is my first out-of-state road trip for Aggie football. I tailgated with some ISU fans back in 2009 and really enjoyed them. Good, quality people.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on places to eat, bars to go to on Friday night, what time we should get to the stadium for good parking and tailgating, etc....

...from what I've found, the tailgating scene in Ames looks pretty good. We could use some night life on Friday night though, and I haven't found much on that. Any help would be appreciated.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 229
    Given: 59

Re: Aggies making the trip

Quote Originally Posted by JackAgs View Post
    Howdy Cyclones,

Me and a buddy of mine are making the 16 hour trek up to Ames from College Station. We are leaving tomorrow and staying in a hotel in Boone (best rate we could find). Anyway, we are looking forward to taking in whatever y'all have to offer. This is my first out-of-state road trip for Aggie football. I tailgated with some ISU fans back in 2009 and really enjoyed them. Good, quality people.

I was wondering if I could get some recommendations on places to eat, bars to go to on Friday night, what time we should get to the stadium for good parking and tailgating, etc....

...from what I've found, the tailgating scene in Ames looks pretty good. We could use some night life on Friday night though, and I haven't found much on that. Any help would be appreciated.
    That's like saying Kenny Rogers is just a 'pretty good' singer/songer writter. Horse pucky!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 121

Bars are on Welch Ave just off Lincoln Way: Google MAP

Good places to eat:
    Pizza - Great Plains Sauce and Dough
    Microbrew (w/ bar food) - Olde Main
    Aunt Maudes
    The Cafe
    Cafe Shi
    Sports Bar w/ good burgers - Wallaby's
    //I'm sure others will add to the list.//

Tailgating lots open 6 hours before kick so 8:30 am

Speechless
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 113

I believe this is what you're looking for...
    WRNL's Guide To Ames - Wide Right & Natty Lite

This wouldn't happen to your tailgate from the 2009 game would it?

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Those pictures are not me, but I'm glad you found some Ags to tailgate with on your trip. I have heard nothing but good things about ISU fans.

What time do the bars close Friday night?

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 196
    Given: 121

Those pictures are not me, but I'm glad you found some Ags to tailgate with on your trip. I have heard nothing but good things about ISU fans.

2:00am closing time in Iowa.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 30

There is a pretty cool bar on SECond st. Called shenanigans, it has a real Texas feel to it I think you'll like. My big brother hates the place but that just makes me like it more. They have great drinks and they serve them in mason jars which is real neat. And sometimes they bake cakes. Good luck in Ames!

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 87

Howdy Cyclones,

Oh they didn't tell you? The game was moved to Iowa City. See you there!

(That's the sarcasm pirate since you're new here)

Just kidding man hope you have a great time.

Rookie
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Social10000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 2

2 AM

Speechless
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Yeah, I was checking to see if you were the guys we partied with. They were great hosts and a lot of fun. Very inviting, friendly folks. Figured we'd owe them a few beers/hospitality if they ever made it back up.

You will find ISU fans friendly, but prepared for a LOT of ribbing this year. Lots of mason jar jokes, etc. A&M is the devil to a lot of us, but individual fans who actually invested the effort to come up will be treated kindly I would have to imagine.

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 24

Howdy Cyclones,

Bars/Nightlife probably depends on your age and what you like to do.

If you are an undergraduate or recent undergraduate you will probably have the best time on Welch Avenue, which is the "Campus Town" area of Ames and is directly adjacent to the campus off Lincoln Way (The major East-West thoroughfare in Ames). I'm a bit removed from this scene (graduated in 2005), but it seems that Mickey's and Paddy's always have good atmosphere and decent drink prices on Friday's. If you want a more relaxed atmosphere on Friday you can hit up Welch Avenue Station which is the only true Sports Bar in Campus Town and also has decent pizza and awesome wings. The crowd will be smaller and typically older than in the other Campus Town bars and it won't get really busy until after 10pm. If you're looking for a "country" type bar, your only option in Campus Town is Outlaws and I don't have much to say about that place as I've only been there a couple times and was severely inebriated.

If you are in the older crowd (25+), you may want to head to Main Street on Friday night or risk feeling even older among the undergads in Campus Town (This does not apply on Saturday night as it is homecoming and there will be tons of ISU Alumni out in Campus Town). On Main Street there are several good options for drinking/eating including a Olde Main Brew Pub which, as the name suggests, brews their own beer and offers decent Pub-style food. If you like thick crust pizza you should try Great Plains Sauce and Dough Co., also on Main Street, which is a staple in Ames and offers a very unique pizza eating experience if you order the Denver-style crust (complete with bottles of honey to help you finish off your remaining crusts).

Other Ames favorites include Hickory Park (located on Duff Avenue right off of HWY 30) which is an enormous BBQ joint and probably the most famous eatery in Ames. It serves many different types of "smoked" style BBQ and also has excellent (and underrated) burgers. Avoid at all costs on game day as it will be a zoo.

There are lots of other options that I'm sure others will chime in with, but that should get you started.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Based on that link, Outlaws seems like a place to go find some good drinks and country music. Good place?

Pro
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 87

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    There is a pretty cool bar on SECond st. Called shenanigans, it has a real Texas feel to it I think you'll like. My big brother hates the place but that just makes me like it more. They have great drinks and they serve them in mason jars which is real neat. And sometimes they bake cakes. Good luck in Ames!
    How would it look if I drank white russians from the jars all night? Should make the Aggies feel right at home ;)

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bringmagicback View Post
    Are you talking about Boone? Because I've never heard of a place like this in Ames.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Based on that link, Outlaws seems like a place to go find some good drinks and country music. Good place?
    Outlaws is pretty fun. Good scenery most nights I've been there, too.