Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Given: 13

Iowa State planning this?

Iowa to observe Veteran’s Day | TheGazette

I am just wondering if Iowa State is planning anything like this to honor all the veterans when they play KU on Nov 5th or OSU on Nov 18th?

It would be a great honor since over 3000 Iowans just returned from Afghanistan this summer and where 9 lost their lives.

Just wondering...

Pro
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 230

Re: Iowa State planning this?

They will do something I'm sure, but it's easier to plan when you are already sold out for those games.

All-Star
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 252
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    They will do something I'm sure, but it's easier to plan when you are already sold out for those games.
    What does the game being sold out have to do with planning a flyover during the National Anthem?

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 561
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15

Quote Originally Posted by Tank View Post
    Iowa to observe Veteran’s Day | TheGazette

I am just wondering if Iowa State is planning anything like this to honor all the veterans when they play KU on Nov 5th or OSU on Nov 18th?

It would be a great honor since over 3000 Iowans just returned from Afghanistan this summer and where 9 lost their lives.

Just wondering...
    Like ANF . . Iowa seems to be proprietary on all things political. You know, using a deceased Seal's dog to lead the team out onto the Field . . for example.

Let Veterans Day be the celebration . . that is what IT is intended for . . not some political stunt on the field. BTW, I was also not happy with Texas using the US Flag as a sports rally flag . . to honor one of their player/vets . . . with the US Flag tossed later to the ground near the Texas bench. Whether you realize it or not . . all returning OIF and OEF vets are celebrated upon their arrival in the U.S. (at airports and reception stations across the country). Enough is enough.

Last edited by Madclone1; 10-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.

Pro
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 464
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 122
    Given: 48

The University of Iowa are kings at being pandering ****** bags. Seriously, they'll do anything to gain favor. ANF is the prime example. Nobody in IC gives two ***** about farmers...never have, never will. All they do all week of the ISU/Iowa game is make farmer jokes yet they will turn around and pimp those stickers. Meanwhile all the yokels eat that **** up.

Starter
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 580
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by mustangcy View Post
    The University of Iowa are kings at being pandering ****** bags. Seriously, they'll do anything to gain favor. ANF is the prime example. Nobody in IC gives two ***** about farmers...never have, never will. All they do all week of the ISU/Iowa game is make farmer jokes yet they will turn around and pimp those stickers. Meanwhile all the yokels eat that **** up.
    Basic aggressive marketing

There was one?

Pro
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

There will only be about 15,000 people at the KU game

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 861
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 41

Quote Originally Posted by CRAZYGREG View Post
    There will only be about 15,000 people at the KU game
    Seriously, that will be a decent chance at a W, no reason not to show up, support ur team!!!!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    Thumbs Up

Because all Hawkeye fans are from Iowa City?

Also, if you have a problem with Iowa honoring those who served on Veterans Day, then that's your problem. I suppose, in your eyes, the NFL was wrong for bringing huge US flags out onto the field for 9/11 as well, right?

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by Madclone1 View Post
    Like ANF . . Iowa seems to be proprietary on all things political. You know, using a deceased Seal's dog to lead the team out onto the Field . . for example.

Let Veterans Day be the celebration . . that is what IT is intended for . . not some political stunt on the field. BTW, I was also not happy with Texas using the US Flag as a sports rally flag . . to honor one of their player/vets . . . with the US Flag tossed later to the ground near the Texas bench. Whether you realize it or not . . all returning OIF and OEF vets are celebrated upon their arrival in the U.S. (at airports and reception stations across the country). Enough is enough.
    Wow. When a rivalry ruins all common sense, you're taking it too far.

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 315
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quick question, do you farm?

Pro
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 342
    Given: 89

Quote Originally Posted by PerkyForHerky View Post
    Quick question, do you farm?
    I can't speak for him but I farm and I think the ANF sticker is an absolute joke and a perfect example of pandering for fans. When the ANF sticker was first released in the 80's it was a great gesture as it was in the middle of the 80's farm crisis and was used to draw attention to the hardships that were happening in the state of Iowa due to the crisis. But to bring the sticker back in the middle of unmatched farm profitability while still trying stick with the same story is just asinine. Us farmers are doing just fine and the ANF sticker portrays the stereotype that we are just a bunch of poor farmers that every one should feel sorry for and we will never be financially secure. It helps drive stereotypes that we have been trying to battle for years.

ANF sticker is true pandering at it's finest especially when you compare what the two universities have done for the ag community.

No one is saying there aren't farmers that are hawk fans but to try to put out the image that the U of I has the best interest of the farmer in mind with a sticker is just plain funny, let alone taking into the account some of the grad and phd level research that the U of I has done putting the ag community in a negative light.

I am involved in some state wide agricultural groups and the U of I (the university not the sports team) is considered a dirty word and enemy by many.

Pro
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 147
    Given: 230

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyescott View Post
    What does the game being sold out have to do with planning a flyover during the National Anthem?
    I was assuming the card thing was what the OP was referencing as something we would do. You assumed that he was hoping we would get a flyover.

It's hard to plan anything coordinated for an ISU game as you need a full stadium. A flyover at both stadiums is probably a bit much for our military unless they are truly training sorties.

I realize the card thing was for a different game but it was pictured on the linked article. I'm hoping they will do something similar for our soldiers and veterans deserve no less.

Last edited by stateofmind; 10-18-2011 at 12:49 PM.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 298
    Given: 82

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    I was assuming the card thing was what the OP was referencing as something we would do. You assumed that he was hoping we would get a flyover.

It's hard to plan anything coordinated for an ISU game as you need a full stadium. A flyover at both stadiums is probably a bit much for our military unless they are truly training sorties.
    Both the chopper and fighter pilots have to fly so many hours a month anyway. Might as well take the few extra minutes to get to IC or Ames.

Addict
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 611
    Given: 83

Quote Originally Posted by FarminCy View Post
    I can't speak for him but I farm and I think the ANF sticker is an absolute joke and a perfect example of pandering for fans. When the ANF sticker was first released in the 80's it was a great gesture as it was in the middle of the 80's farm crisis and was used to draw attention to the hardships that were happening in the state of Iowa due to the crisis. But to bring the sticker back in the middle of unmatched farm profitability while still trying stick with the same story is just asinine. Us farmers are doing just fine and the ANF sticker portrays the stereotype that we are just a bunch of poor farmers that every one should feel sorry for and we will never be financially secure. It helps drive stereotypes that we have been trying to battle for years.

ANF sticker is true pandering at it's finest especially when you compare what the two universities have done for the ag community.

No one is saying there aren't farmers that are hawk fans but to try to put out the image that the U of I has the best interest of the farmer in mind with a sticker is just plain funny, let alone taking into the account some of the grad and phd level research that the U of I has done putting the ag community in a negative light.

I am involved in some state wide agricultural groups and the U of I (the university not the sports team) is considered a dirty word and enemy by many.
    Except this thread is about honoring veterans and fallen soldiers. You want to argue the merits of the ANF sticker, there are dozens of other threads to complain in.

Quite frankly, the amount of hate it takes to actually argue against what Iowa is planning to do on Nov 5th is staggering and very unhealthy.