Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

IPhone vs. Android

Hey Cyclone fans, a diehard Clone fan in NW Iowa needs your help. Remember I am "older" and NOT a techie by any stretch. So keep your replies in basic English please.

I do realize todays phones offer so much more. I am not a music guy, but I do walk alot. I would like to listen to different radio stations not in my area, or Sirius/XM streams as I walk. I will use it for camera as well. There is just so much out there, that all you younger people can help a "veteran" like me because you are so much better educated and knowledgable on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your help. Go Clones.

All-Star
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 605
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Re: IPhone vs. Android

iPhone is better if you just want it to work. Camera, music, video.

If you are a heavy Gmail user I'd go Android.

I go back and forth a lot, but if I'm taking pictures I use my iPhone. XM is a wash; both platforms are supported.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 276

Both are fine and do what you need them to do. Keep in mind when you talk about Iphone you're talking about 1 phone. When you're talking about Android you're talking about a lot of different options. If I was in the market for a new phone right now I would choose an Android device with 4G capabilities. Any decent smartphone today won't have a problem with taking pictures and streaming audio.

Once you buy something, come back here and ask about good apps, that's what it's all about.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    Both are fine and do what you need them to do. Keep in mind when you talk about Iphone you're talking about 1 phone. When you're talking about Android you're talking about a lot of different options. If I was in the market for a new phone right now I would choose an Android device with 4G capabilities. Any decent smartphone today won't have a problem with taking pictures and streaming audio.

Once you buy something, come back here and ask about good apps, that's what it's all about.
    I need some good apps. What you got?

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 82
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    How about a Cyclones clock widget?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 158
    Given: 118

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    Hey Cyclone fans, a diehard Clone fan in NW Iowa needs your help. Remember I am "older" and NOT a techie by any stretch. So keep your replies in basic English please.

I do realize todays phones offer so much more. I am not a music guy, but I do walk alot. I would like to listen to different radio stations not in my area, or Sirius/XM streams as I walk. I will use it for camera as well. There is just so much out there, that all you younger people can help a "veteran" like me because you are so much better educated and knowledgable on this topic.

Thanks in advance for your help. Go Clones.
    I agree with Ames. If you want it to just work and be easy to use right out of the box, I'd got with the iPhone. If you're a power user, you will probably prefer an Android.

I had an HTC Incredible. It was a great phone. Now I have an iPhone 4. I like the iPhone better, but a lot of the reason is I like iTunes and the iPhone obviously integrates better with that. The Incredible worked too, but everything required a work-around.

The one area the iPhone dominates is battery life. Even with an oversize battery I had to charge my Incredible everyday. I can sometimes go three days on a charge with my iPhone with similar use. I could maybe even go more, I've never had it run completely down.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

9 Innings Pro Baseball is a great one.

Pro
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 470
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Non-techies should stick to the iPhone. My Android has software hiccups and a terrible battery. Most people I know don't want to deal with that stuff. I'm as big an Android fan as you'll find, and I'm willing to live with those shortcomings to be on the cutting edge of the hardware and capabilities of these little wonder boxes. Android has so much more freedom, but if you aren't the type that will begin to explore it, you're honestly better off staying in the shallow end with an iPhone and having something easy to own. Both OS' are great. There is no wrong choice here.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HOTDON View Post
    Non-techies should stick to the iPhone. My Android has software hiccups and a terrible battery. Most people I know don't want to deal with that stuff. I'm as big an Android fan as you'll find, and I'm willing to live with those shortcomings to be on the cutting edge of the hardware and capabilities of these little wonder boxes. Android has so much more freedom, but if you aren't the type that will begin to explore it, you're honestly better off staying in the shallow end with an iPhone and having something easy to own. Both OS' are great. There is no wrong choice here.
    Good points here. I consider myself a heavy tech user who has been loyal to Android for 3 years. I've helped at least 15 friends get their various Droids up and working and working well, and getting them to enjoy all the sweet features.

BUT, I just switched to the iPhone 4S on Friday :-) My work only supports a few Android devices (mainly HTC) that meet our security and policy requirements, and overall I was ready to try something new.

This weekend has been a huge 'get adjusted to iOS' weekend. While I think I love this phone, I'm missing some things from Android badly. My inner nerd isn't happy with me. But, if/when untethered jailbreak becomes available for iOS 5, that may just quench my thirst.

I will say this, most things on the iPhone 'just work.' They really did make most things simple and straightforward, and take the decisions away from the end user.

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!

Addict
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 75
    Given: 64

One thing that I noticed after my g/f got an iPhone (I have a Droid X) is that there didn't seem to be any good navagation apps available for free. The ones that she ended up buying were pretty terrible as well.

Pro
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 106

Quote Originally Posted by Cloned4Life View Post
    Good points here. I consider myself a heavy tech user who has been loyal to Android for 3 years. I've helped at least 15 friends get their various Droids up and working and working well, and getting them to enjoy all the sweet features.

BUT, I just switched to the iPhone 4S on Friday :-) My work only supports a few Android devices (mainly HTC) that meet our security and policy requirements, and overall I was ready to try something new.

This weekend has been a huge 'get adjusted to iOS' weekend. While I think I love this phone, I'm missing some things from Android badly. My inner nerd isn't happy with me. But, if/when untethered jailbreak becomes available for iOS 5, that may just quench my thirst.

I will say this, most things on the iPhone 'just work.' They really did make most things simple and straightforward, and take the decisions away from the end user.
    I have to tell my telephony person today what I want. I can choose another EVO, like the 3D, I can choose to go to Verizon, I can choose the 4S. I just don't know if I like going so much smaller on the viewing window. Did you notice the size being a big inconvenience? And most importantly, who displays the CF app the best?

Last edited by stateofmind; 10-17-2011 at 12:46 PM.

Addict
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 578
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 1

I've been on the fence....

Started off as a RIM user and got fed up with that quickly. I jumped to the Droid Eris at the time and became a huge fan of Android. At that point I quickly realized what I wanted versus what I had and upgraded into an Incredible (now the gf's). This phone was highly supported in the development community so it made having one that much more enjoyable.

Even saying that, I'm not sure how much of a power user that I really am. Besides the few social things I partake in, and being a heavy Google User, I don't feel I get the "Most" of my phone. Regardless, I upgraded to the Droid Bionic about a month ago, but since then still wonder if an iPhone would really serve me better.

I'm techy if I give myself time to be, otherwise I just don't stay up on ROM's, applications, Mods, etc. to really take advantage of everything.

How do other power users take advantage of their phone to get the most out of it...? Whats the best iTunes work around others have found?

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 172
    Given: 276

A few that I like

Launcher pro plus-Not an app but I like it
    AVG Antivirus
    Apps organizer-Helps a lot with screen organization
    Audiomanager pro
    beautiful Widgets
    CamScanner
    Chrome to Phone
    Circle Battery Widget
    Circle Launcher-Really like this
    Cyclone Fanatic
    DropBox
    Evernote
    Extended Contorls
    Finance-By google
    foursquare
    Google voice
    Iheart radio
    My Phone number-I have a hard time remembering my number
    On the fly
    Opera Mobile
    Package Buddy
    POalmary Weather Pro
    Pandora
    Pdanet
    Picasa tool
    Pintley
    Real HDMI
    ScoreMobil
    Shopper
    Shopsavvy
    Slacker
    Slingplayer
    SportsTap
    Swiss Army KNife
    Swype
    Taptu-One I just discovered and like
    Tasker
    Tikl
    Translate
    Tripadvisor
    Tripit
    Tweetdeck-I've stop using this now because I like Taptu better
    Vcast Song ID
    Where's my droid

Addict
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The answer is obvious. I have an iPhone, therefore it is clearly the better phone.

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by stateofmind View Post
    I have to tell my telephony person today what I want. I can choose another EVO, like the 3D, I can choose to go to Verizon, I can choose the 4S. I just don't know if I like going so much smaller on the viewing window. Did you notice the size being a big inconvenience? And most importantly, who displays the CF app the best?
    Going from an Incredible 2 to an iPhone display is definitely an adjustment. It's small, no doubt. But the resolution is simply amazing. Nothing like it, IMO, and I've had a lot of Android phones, including Samsung's, which have GREAT screen tech.

I always use the standard Cyclone Fanatic website and switch the forum view to "iPhone" and this works great for me. It's formatted for the iPhone (this view also works great on Android). I just now see there is a Cyclone Fanatic app, I will be giving this a try!

ANF - America Needs Farmers - Thank God Iowa State produces-educates-supports them!