Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

Post Barnstormers revived as af2 team, to resume in 2008

DesMoinesRegister.com

The Iowa Barnstormers of arenafootball2 are back in business.

Jerry Kurz, af2 president, said Wednesday that the league's team owners have been notified that the franchise, which has been dormant since 2001, will resume play in 2008.

In addition, Kurz said the owners have given their approval to a new investor group headed by Ankeny lawyer Jeff Lamberti and Des Moines-area businessman Dan Stanbrough to operate the franchise once owned by a group headed by arena football founder Jim Foster. The new group will hold the franchise operating rights as Iowa Pro Football L.P., the original holding company. No financial terms were disclosed.

"I couldn't be more happy or excited to have Des Moines back in the arena football family," Kurz said. "This is a great day for the league and for the fans of arena football."

The league's action marks the end of a significant effort by Foster and league officials to bring arena football back to Des Moines, which embraced the Barnstormers from 1995-2000 as part of the senior Arena Football League but rejected the minor-league version a year later.

Des Moines is the third new city to be approved to begin play in the 2008 season. Franchises in Biloxi, Miss., and Peoria, Ill., also have been approved. The league is expected to have about 30 teams competing in 2008.

The league began play in 2000 with 13 franchises located mostly in the Midwest and South. Now it stretches from Manchester, N.H., to Bakersfield, Calif., and from Green Bay, Wis., to the Rio Grande Valley in Texas.

"We have some steps that we still need to take, but I am very comfortable that this is going to go forward," Lamberti said. "The group wants to bring a strong sports entertainment option to the community that already has a proven track record here. We want to bring the Barnstormers back and all the good things that they brought to central Iowa."

Foster said he was pleased that the Barnstormers would be back in business.

"I'm happy everything has worked out," he said. "This new group is made up of successful and strong businessmen who have a good sense of what the pro sports business is all about. I have no doubt that they will put a strong and competitive team on the field and will attract the kind of support we had when we began."

Lamberti said negotiations with Matt Homan, general manager of Wells Fargo Arena, have progressed well, but that an agreement needs to be finalized. Lamberti said Polk County officials also are involved in the negotiating process.

Others who have agreed to invest in the team are Jamie Myers, a top executive for Regency Builders, and Don Lamberti, founder and longtime chief executive of Casey's General Stores Inc., and Jeff Lamberti's father.

Jeff Lamberti said that the group is interested in finding a few more local investors.

Lamberti said he has had discussions with former Barnstormers coach John Gregory about returning to direct the team.

Gregory, who coached the af2 Arkansas Twisters the past two seasons, notified team officials there Monday that he would not be returning. Twisters officials said Gregory would be leaving to pursue other opportunities.

"John Gregory is an Iowan and has proven he can win in arena football," Lamberti said. "I have a lot of respect for what Gregory was able to do here and believe he could do it again."

Gregory was the Barnstormers' only head coach.

History of the Iowa Barnstormers

April 29, 1993: Jim Foster, founder of arena football, stages an exhibition game at Veterans Memorial Auditorium in Des Moines to gauge support for a team here. Dubbed the "Rumble Under the Roof," a sellout crowd of 10,081 watches the Arizona Rattlers and Cleveland Thunderbolts play to a tie.

Aug. 28, 1993: Foster brings the league's all-star game to Vets, promising to give ticket buyers first crack at season tickets for the Iowa Barnstormers' inaugural season in 1995. A crowd of 7,189 shows up, enough support to assure that Des Moines will get its own team.

1995-2000: The Barnstormers win four division titles and advance to two AFL championship games while compiling a 61-32 overall record in six AFL seasons. Eventual two-time NFL MVP Kurt Warner was named all-Arena first team in 1996 and '97, the years he led the Barnstormers to the Arena Bowl. But Foster says the team never turned a profit.

Aug. 6, 2000: The Barnstormers lose a quarterfinal playoff game to Nashville at Vets. Foster says the team lost about $1 million in what would be its final AFL season.

Sept. 15, 2000: Foster announces that the franchise has been sold and is leaving for the New York City area. Foster retains the Barnstormers' name, logo and uniform design and says he hopes to bring an af2 team to Des Moines, which he does.

July 21, 2001: The Barnstormers finish their first af2 season with a 9-7 record, with former Iowa State coach Earle Bruce at the helm for the final 10 games. Foster says the team lost more than $250,000.

November 2001: The Barnstormers announce that they are suspending operations for at least the 2002 season.

Nov. 21, 2001: Foster vows that the Barnstormers will return to Des Moines. "There is no maybe about it," he says.

May 2002: Foster sells his Des Moines home and moves to Davenport, where he owned an af2 team.

June 2005: Former Iowa Hawkeye and Kansas City Chiefs offensive lineman John Alt expresses interest in bringing the Barnstormers back to Des Moines.

Sept. 19, 2007: af2 president Jerry Kurz said the league will return a team to Iowa for the 2008 season. A group headed by Ankeny lawyer Jeff Lamberti and Des Moines-area businessman Dan Stanbrough are in line to operate it, hoping to play games in Wells Fargo Arena.

Addict
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 334
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Barnstormers revived as af2 team, to resume in 2008

This is great news. Here is my quetion, what caused the loss in profit for all those seasons. For being as successful as they were, I'm curious to know where the downfall was. I have heard the Stadium (Vets) was insufficiant for what was needed, but how does that calculate into turning the profit.

I only ask as I didn't follow them much during that time and am curious to get an accurate perception on this all.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

I have heard that there were several factors that went into the financial downfall, here are a couple:

1. Player salaries jumped significantly
    2. The Barnstormers got nothing from concessions, parking etc.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    This is great news. Here is my quetion, what caused the loss in profit for all those seasons. For being as successful as they were, I'm curious to know where the downfall was. I have heard the Stadium (Vets) was insufficiant for what was needed, but how does that calculate into turning the profit.

I only ask as I didn't follow them much during that time and am curious to get an accurate perception on this all.
    I think Foster was just spouting off at the mouth. He's the one that invented Arena Football, and he saw a chance to get it on a larger stage by expanding and moving existing teams in small markets to large markets. As it stands now, the two most obscure markets in the AFL are Grand Rapids and Austin.

And as good of a businessman as Foster may be, he's a lousy team owner. As good as the Quad City Steamwheelers (my local AF2 team) has been in the past, including a 39-1 record over the first two seasons which included wins of 87-7 and 103-3, as a team we've practically done nothing since then as Foster's pretty much run the team into the ground (including, ironically, probation for breaking league rules. Did I mention the owner was the guy that created the game?)

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 8
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 7

Awesome. Now people need to come out and support it so it doesn't go away. Yes it's AFL2 but the AFL has become larger than a Des Moines market so the only way to get back into the "big league" is to have overwhelming support for what we have. I'll definately go to a few games, they were a lot of fun to watch.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73

Plus, there's always the chance that "local" collegiate talent will make its way onto the roster.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I think Foster was just spouting off at the mouth. He's the one that invented Arena Football, and he saw a chance to get it on a larger stage by expanding and moving existing teams in small markets to large markets. As it stands now, the two most obscure markets in the AFL are Grand Rapids and Austin.

And as good of a businessman as Foster may be, he's a lousy team owner. As good as the Quad City Steamwheelers (my local AF2 team) has been in the past, including a 39-1 record over the first two seasons which included wins of 87-7 and 103-3, as a team we've practically done nothing since then as Foster's pretty much run the team into the ground (including, ironically, probation for breaking league rules. Did I mention the owner was the guy that created the game?)
    Not that I discredit what your saying, but what is your theory based off of. I mean why would any team owner purposly run their team into the ground. I could see it happening indirectly, but what do I know.

"You must try to generate happiness within yourself. If you aren't happy in one place, chances are you won't be happy anyplace." -- Ernie Banks

Legend
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 241
    Given: 311

I think they need a new name and a new start. I think people are iffy about going to see the Barnstormers play. If they had a new name, New building, new ownership. That would give me reason to "buy in" to what they are selling. Right now we have had the barnstomers ripped from us 2 times. So why should I get back into the same thing again and just know that it could get ripped again.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 265
    Given: 36

If they could not turn a profit while everyone was going, how do they expect to when they will be playing in front of 3,000 people. I love the stars, but there is no way AHL will survive in dsm with those kinds of crowds.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    If they could not turn a profit while everyone was going, how do they expect to when they will be playing in front of 3,000 people. I love the stars, but there is no way AHL will survive in dsm with those kinds of crowds.
    Kind of what I was thinking, thus wantingto figure out what went wrong before. That is the only part that worries me. I am amped to have local football that is different than collegiate and NFL, but sure as heck dont want to see them leave in two years either.

Facilities seems to be one big thing. The Barnstormers of before didn't have the facilities. Ok, but what does that mean exactly. Sell outs would bring in more people yes, but I have a feeling that wont happen right away. I realize most sports are this way, hence Principal park being what it is today. May organizations have to leave just due to facilities, but I have a feeling that can't be the only reason.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by brianhos View Post
    I will bet you right now that the Barnstormers will draw way more than the Stars do. Des Moines is not a hockey hot spot. Even when they had the AF2 they still drew more than the Stars did and we've been without Arena football long enough I think there will be enough excitement to have them back that it will bring decent crowds. When we had the original Barnstormers they used to pack Vets to the brim, not so much with the AF2 version but that was more because they brought them back not long after yanking the original Barnstormers from us so people were still upset about that.

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's a site with the attendance figures of the seasons of the original Barnstormers. Trying to find the figures of the AF2 team we had briefly but they drew over 10k many times over those seasons.

ArenaFan Online : Iowa Barnstormers - Team History

Go Cubs Go!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Here's 2001. Still better than the Stars do.

ArenaFan Online : Iowa Barnstormers - Team History

Go Cubs Go!

All-Star
    Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 601
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I look forward to seeing them in des moines again. I am afraid the atmosphere won't be as good in wells fargo as it was in the barn.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 53.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 717
    Given: 484

Quote Originally Posted by guitarchitect7 View Post
    Not that I discredit what your saying, but what is your theory based off of. I mean why would any team owner purposly run their team into the ground. I could see it happening indirectly, but what do I know.
    In seeing interviews with him going back to before 2000, there was such a desperation on his part for AFL to become a splash on the big time that I think he was more than willing to sacrifice the Iowa team at the AFL level to get cities like NYC, LA, Atlanta, Dallas, Chicago, etc... their franchises. And I believe that is exactly what he did. I specifically recall him saying that the AFL had grown so much as a league (which at that point it hadn't quite gotten there, but it was his goal) that Des Moines was no longer ideal enough of a market to host an AFL team. That's why he sold the team to the owner of the New York Islanders and created a new AF2 team. I think cities like Des Moines and Oklahoma City (which hosted the Wranglers at the time) were holding his vision of what he wanted the AFL to be back and did something about it.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.