Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 152

Exclamation Big 12 TV Info/Explanation from Pollard

I e-mailed Jamie yesterday once the game time was announced, asking if the game would be on PPV. It won't be. He also provided some insight on TV frustration, etc.

In addition, he attached a file with even more info on the Big 12 TV deal. Apparently, even if he has not received many complaints as of yesterday when it was announced we would not be on TV next weekend, the AD's office has received enough of them in order to create this .PDF. As you will be able to tell, the .PDF is about a year old.

1. The Nebraska game will not be on PPV. That is the home team's decision and they chose not to do it since they are doing this week and did not want to do it two weeks in a row.

2. Television has not been decided for the following week. We will know that on Tuesday of next week. TT plans to play the game at night (due to the heat) if the game is not televised.

Actually, I have not had many emails about the issue. For starters, the Big 12 television package is not horrible. Most fans have no idea how this works and I find it comical when I see people say what they say about it because most have absolutely no idea what they are talking about - but that is true for almost everything in our business.

Although I understand and share your disappointment that we are not selected for TV for the Nebraska game, I also understand that television rights in this day in age are much more complicated than most of us can ever imagine. Following the Big 10 Network politics during the past several months is a great example. I am sure when the University of Iowa accepted the $7 million (which they will get every year from the Big 10 Network) they never expected their games to not be on TV in Iowa this year.

I have attached a summary that we prepared last year and distributed to many of our fans that provides a great overview of the Television package in the Big 12. Although I appreciate your statement that the fans are the ones losing out, I have to also keep my eye on the fact that without the Big 12 television revenue, we could not have a football team which would be a much bigger loss to our fans.

The fact is the State of Iowa does not contribute funds to sponsor either the University of Iowa or Iowa State's athletics program. As a result, we are required to find revenue to pay or expenses including any renovations to our facilities with revenue we generate from the athletic teams. The revenue we derive from television rights is what keeps our program in existence. For example, if we did not have the Big 12 television revenue, we would need to charge every season ticket holder $150 more, per ticket, just to break even.

The bottom line for us is we need to have a winning football team. History has shown when we have a good football program, we will get our share of games on television. Unfortunately the way this year is projected to go, we are not one of the teams that television has a lot of interest in showing.

Thanks again for the email. I hope my response helps better explain the process.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Last edited by ISUFan22; 09-20-2007 at 09:02 AM.

Asst. Regional Manager
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 375
    Given: 300

Re: Big 12 TV Info/Explanation from Pollard

I like how he doesn't give you the sugar coated answer and tells it like it is.

@RandomGeoFacts

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 366
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 17

BOHICA - bend over here it comes again

2009 FLHR - Vivid Black

I don't sweat the petty things,... I pet the sweaty things

All-Star
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 404
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I just wish there was a way Big 12 North games could be shown in the North and Big 12 South games could be shown in the South. I get all the part about revenue, and that is obviously very important. The part of the deal that stinks is the part that won't allow a station, such as Mediacom, to show the game statewide if they wish, when the game wouldn't otherwise be available to Iowans...such is the case the next two games.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 52

Jamie knows more about it than I do.....but I still think the television package is horrible. Until we see fewer South teams on TV EVERY FREAKING WEEKEND and more North teams on TV, it is horrible.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Clone zone=seeing the game regardless
    Butts in seats= step towards televised games
    Winning=solution to everything

All-Star Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

I think that the biggest issue is that teams can't televise their games locally if they are not picked up by ABC/FSN. Funny, the Big 11 can take every one of their ESPN+ games and put them on the BTN, directly competing with ESPN. Yet, Big XII teams can't take a game that ABC/FSN doesn't even want and have a Mediacom or Cox televise it. That's BS if you ask me.

XXXX Master Shake is under gag order XXXX

Legend
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 171
    Given: 274

I agree with about everything Jamie says but if you compare the Big10 package to the Big12 package, it's a joke. It was a joke even before the BTN came along.

All-Star
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 2

In this country, you gotta make the money first. Then when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women. -Tony Montana

Yeah well, ya know, that's just, like uh, your opinion, man.

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

"Following the Big 10 Network politics during the past several months is a great example. I am sure when the University of Iowa accepted the $7 million (which they will get every year from the Big 10 Network) they never expected their games to not be on TV in Iowa this year."

What Iowa games are not on TV? If you have Directv haven't you been able to get every one of their games?

Pro
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 109
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

That's the company line. I hope that behind the scenes he's a little more vocal about getting the North teams on TV or more televised games.

Addict
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,347
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post
    "Following the Big 10 Network politics during the past several months is a great example. I am sure when the University of Iowa accepted the $7 million (which they will get every year from the Big 10 Network) they never expected their games to not be on TV in Iowa this year."

What Iowa games are not on TV? If you have Directv haven't you been able to get every one of their games?
    There are a LOT of fans in Iowa that either don't have, or don't want satellite TV. Every Mediacom customer in the state has not been able to see at least one Iowa game this year (Iowa vs. Northern Illinois), and will probably miss a few more (Indiana for sure). Just wait for basketball season to come around. Something like 20 Iowa games are scheduled for the BTN.

I think it's pretty damn crappy of Iowa to lock a good portion of their fans out of being able to see games they would otherwise have been able to see for free (since ESPN regional was usually broadcast over the air).

Starter
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 349
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

My problem is that if the Nebraska game isn't televised, is there any chance of having a any of our road games televised. This is arguably our best road game as far as viewer interest and if it doesn't get TV I don't see how TT, Kansas, or Missouri will. I could care less if the home games are on TV since I will be up in section N watching the game in person.

Addict
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 343
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by dmclone View Post

I think he was maybe refering to the fact that the Big 10 Network isn't on any cable networks and/or that none of the games have been on an Over-The-Air channel in the state of Iowa. So, you have to have some sort of sateliite package (Dish/Direct).

Legend
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jumbopackage View Post
    There are a LOT of fans in Iowa that either don't have, or don't want satellite TV. Every Mediacom customer in the state has not been able to see at least one Iowa game this year (Iowa vs. Northern Illinois), and will probably miss a few more (Indiana for sure). Just wait for basketball season to come around. Something like 20 Iowa games are scheduled for the BTN.

I think it's pretty damn crappy of Iowa to lock a good portion of their fans out of being able to see games they would otherwise have been able to see for free (since ESPN regional was usually broadcast over the air).
    I agree that it's crappy and I think the BTN isn't playing fair but at least the customers have options to see the Hawks. As ISU fans we won't have any options for the majority of our games. I don't have a problem with the home games because if you live in Iowa you should go to the games.