Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Forwards or Backwards

I know we all want the best for ISU basketball and I fully have my trust in Greg McDermott in rebuiling this program, but am wondering if we are moving forward. We came into last year with basically a whole new team with the exceptions of a few players. All I have heard from word of mouth over this past summer is that McIntosh and Dunson transferred and Taylor was kicked off the team. I haven't heard anything about Marsden, but noticed he wasn't on the roster. That means that we are going to have to start a whole new backcourt again this year. I know our posts have got another year of experience, but when are we going to retain some players for more than one year. I also saw that Tyler Norman is no longer a part of the team.

Ryan Galles

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Re: Forwards or Backwards

marsden is playing club baseball now and taylor although he scored a lot he gave up a lot of points with his turnovers. C mac was too small and couldnt dribble with his left hand so thats not a big loss Dodie could have been somthing but oh well. yes we are going to have to start a whole new backcourt but i think it will be better this year and definately in the future. there isn't a doubt in my mind that we are moving forward, from watching a morgan "coached" team and a Gmac coached team you could already see the progress of our program. be patient with this team this year and look out for us in the coming years 08-09 09-10 they could be big!

dan k

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

do you know what happened to tyler norman? I know Marsden wasn't the greatest but made him decide to quite. I didn't know if McDermott basically forced him or if it was his choice

Ryan Galles

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 504
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

marsden lost his "Fire" for the game he just didn't feel the passion and drive to play at the level he needed to be at anymore so he went back to his real love of baseball. norman im not sure of maybe he saw his chances of playing were sslim to none and decided to call it quits

dan k

Walk On Achievements:
    Thumbs Up

ok, i'm not trying to down the team or McDermott cause i know they know what they are doing, but it would be nice to see a regular 5 players return. Hopefully with Morgan's recruits all graduting or upon graduation we will see better turn around and players that aren't like previous ones we have had.

Ryan Galles

Starter
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5

Where has this Galles guy been for the last year? Marsden was cussed and discussed last spring when he made his decision. Tyler Norman was a walk on from New Mexico who had connections to ISU through his family. He was a non-factor last year and even more so this year, so why would it matter? Really Galles, if you are so disinterested in Cyclone basketball, how could you even question which direction the program is moving????

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Quote Originally Posted by Oldgeezer View Post
    Where has this Galles guy been for the last year? Marsden was cussed and discussed last spring when he made his decision. Tyler Norman was a walk on from New Mexico who had connections to ISU through his family. He was a non-factor last year and even more so this year, so why would it matter? Really Galles, if you are so disinterested in Cyclone basketball, how could you even question which direction the program is moving????
    My thoughts exactly. It's like this guy was cryogenically frozen and recently thawed out.

Forever trying to find a cure for the Dunning-Kruger Effect.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 539
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

There's no reason to bash a guy for asking a few simple questions. He's a fellow cyclone; treat him with respect until he proves he doesn't deserve it.

I think the team is moving forward because we've replaced Jucos with high schoolers which shows a push for a brighter future.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 956
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I don't think we'll be any worse than we were last season. The guys that left were players we recruited right after the coaching change so they just didn't fit the system as well as we thought they would in such a short recruitment period. McIntosh and Taylor were both Jucos on top of it so they were more of a short term solution anyways. These guys coming in are guys the coaching staff had more time to analyze and recruit so hopefully they'll be a better fit.

We've been climbing out of a hole for awhile now, I think we have a coach that will bring some stability and discipline to the program and the long term results will be much more rewarding than any short term gains.

Go Cubs Go!

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 182
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 43

Wow, you've been out of the loop, eh? Well, glad you found it. We're definitely moving forward. Although the back court will be young this year, they have a lot of talent and should eventually be one of the best guard courts in the conference. And I'm real excited about the returning forwards and centers. Brackins and Thompson and maybe even Vette should significantly bolster the returning front court of Johnson & Johnson and Hubalek. This year I expect us to do at least as well as last year, and the next two years could be special.

"The values to which people cling most stubbornly under inappropriate conditions are those values that were previously the source of their greatest triumphs over adversity." -Jared Diamond, Collapse

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,194
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by galles15 View Post
    ok, i'm not trying to down the team or McDermott cause i know they know what they are doing, but it would be nice to see a regular 5 players return. Hopefully with Morgan's recruits all graduting or upon graduation we will see better turn around and players that aren't like previous ones we have had.

Dude, remember this is after the first year. The reason the players left was because they saw the writing on the wall, They were going to get less playing time this year. McDermott has got his first REAL recruiting class now, expect them to play together for a long time.

Pro
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 395
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 42
    Given: 51

Just out of curiousity, I know why McIntosh and Taylor left (ironically, I think we may miss McIntosh more than expected, at least in the early part of the season. I know he didn't offer much on offense, but I thought he improved later in the season and was a much better ballhandler than Taylor), but out of curiousity, can someone please refresh my memory on why Dodie Dunson left? He had some great moments last season. I can't think he left because of a perceived lack of playing time for this coming season.

Pro
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 76
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by galles15 View Post
    I know we all want the best for ISU basketball and I fully have my trust in Greg McDermott in rebuiling this program, but am wondering if we are moving forward. We came into last year with basically a whole new team with the exceptions of a few players. All I have heard from word of mouth over this past summer is that McIntosh and Dunson transferred and Taylor was kicked off the team. I haven't heard anything about Marsden, but noticed he wasn't on the roster. That means that we are going to have to start a whole new backcourt again this year. I know our posts have got another year of experience, but when are we going to retain some players for more than one year. I also saw that Tyler Norman is no longer a part of the team.
    Are you kidding? McD had about 20 minutes to put that class together. We have a class full of 4 year players coming in this year and they will get a chance to show their stuff right away. We may take some lumps early but by the conference season I think this team will be OK.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 144
    Given: 109

Still the most athletic people who can create remain Wesley, Jiri, and Rashon. The other in scrimmage are role players except for perhaps Brackins. Then there is smooth shooting Harrison Barnes who looks like he wants to win bad.We better get that guy. The other support players will still be basically support players. Looking for Wes Eckmeier to shine. I still think our inside game will look better than our perimeter game. Take it from there....

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Starter
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 698
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 6

Quote Originally Posted by ISUChippewa View Post
    Just out of curiousity, I know why McIntosh and Taylor left (ironically, I think we may miss McIntosh more than expected, at least in the early part of the season. I know he didn't offer much on offense, but I thought he improved later in the season and was a much better ballhandler than Taylor), but out of curiousity, can someone please refresh my memory on why Dodie Dunson left? He had some great moments last season. I can't think he left because of a perceived lack of playing time for this coming season.
    Dodie really struggled in the classroom from what I heard and he needed to go to a less demanding environment. Nice kid and worked hard and left in good academic standing as far as I know which was a plus for us with our turnover problems with the academic progress rules.