Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 176
    Given: 208

ISU vs. OU in the 2000's: Offensive Anemia

I posted this as a response to a different thread, somewhat off-topic and someone asked I post it as a separate thread, so here it is...

So I did some ISU vs. OU redzone homework.

We never held the ball inside the redzone in 2006. Scoring was a garbage-time safety and a 31-yard pass to Blythe for a TD.

No redzone action in 2003, our only score was a garbage-time interception return for a TD.

In 2002, we had the ball in the red zone twice. I know, excitement, right? Sorry...read on....

One was a 49 yard drive that ended around the 10, resulting in a field goal (3rd quarter - aka garbage time). The other was a fumble by OU that gave us the ball at the 1 yard line. All we managed to do in 4 plays was lose 3 yards and turn the ball over on downs - this was in the 2nd quarter (may as well been garbage time, already down 28-0).

I refused to go further, as I needed to puke.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 699
    Given: 481

Re: ISU vs. OU in the 2000's: Offensive Anemia

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    [I]In 2002, we had the ball in the red zone twice. I know, excitement, right? Sorry...read on....

One was a 49 yard drive that ended around the 10, resulting in a field goal (3rd quarter - aka garbage time). The other was a fumble by OU that gave us the ball at the 1 yard line. All we managed to do in 4 plays was lose 3 yards and turn the ball over on downs - this was in the 2nd quarter (may as well been garbage time, already down 28-0).
    One bit of defense for the game for 2002, it was a miserable, drizzly, foggy, cold day in Norman that day, and the broadcaster made clear pretty much the entire game that this could affect Seneca's day because of the size of his hands (smaller than ideal). Yes, I know, an excuse, but Seneca was not sharp that day. Might have gotten killed in spite of that anyway...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

The rain didn't help. But Seneca looked extra bad because we tried to make him something he wasn't - not letting him improvise nearly as much as he likes (in fear of getting him hurt).

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 1,265
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 21

I find it interesting that we do so horrible against OU but at least put up a fight against Texas. Close in 02, the first half last year. They don't seem to be as frightning of a team.

Step 1: Cut a hole in the box.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 699
    Given: 481

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    I find it interesting that we do so horrible against OU but at least put up a fight against Texas. Close in 02, the first half last year. They don't seem to be as frightning of a team.
    Go back to 1999 when we lost to them 45-42 (or was it 43? I don't remember...) at home. We pretty much ALWAYS give Texas a game, no matter how good they are or how bad we are.

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

OU has had some better teams when we've faced the pair, yet the statements are correct - we seem to always give Texas a better game.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by cloneu View Post
    It's just that -- intimidation. I'm not saying we would have beaten them those years if we weren't intimidated, but 49-3? 53-7? I'm really interested to see just how good GC is at making this team believe we can stay with these guys.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    The rain didn't help. But Seneca looked extra bad because we tried to make him something he wasn't - not letting him improvise nearly as much as he likes (in fear of getting him hurt).
    Seneca looked extra bad because the OU defense knew exactly what was coming. They knew that we rolled Wallace out very often so he had the option of running or throwing if nothing was open. So they brought their LB up on the outside on passing downs, taking away the running option. And since our WR's couldn't get more than a foot away from their DB's, there really wasn't much of a throwing option either.

Our coaches got schooled big time in that game, and we had absolutely no answer for their defensive game plan. I know, huge surprise that we couldn't adapt to a defensive wrinkle by the other team. From there on out, it was a lost season. All the rest of the teams had to do was watch film from that game on how to beat ISU, because you knew damn well the offensive game plan would be exactly the same from week to week.

Addict
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 21
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    It's just that -- intimidation. I'm not saying we would have beaten them those years if we weren't intimidated, but 49-3? 53-7? I'm really interested to see just how good GC is at making this team believe we can stay with these guys.
    If we come out and play like we did last week, and don't make mistakes I think we can hang with a lot of teams. What I have seen so far this year from ISU is a lot of good, sound, fundamental football besmirched by some bad, stupid mistakes.

It may be a bit much to ask for us to beat Texas or Oklahoma this year, but if the offense comes around at all, I think the days of 40+ point losses are behind us.