Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Giving it a go
    Points: 254,933, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chadm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    14,606
    Points
    254,933
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 3

    Lock out question

    I am not a big NBA fan, I do follow any ISU players that are in the league.

    The question I have watching ESPN is if the the percentage the players are currently getting is 57% and the offer was 50%. Wouldn't it take 8.3 years at the current % to make up for a year lost of salary for the current players? How many of the current players will play that many more years?

    Wouldn't it be better for the majority of the players to take the 50% than have a year lost?


    I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everyone.

  2. #2
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,697, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,380
    Points
    600,697
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,350
    Given: 117

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by chadm View Post
    I am not a big NBA fan, I do follow any ISU players that are in the league.

    The question I have watching ESPN is if the the percentage the players are currently getting is 57% and the offer was 50%. Wouldn't it take 8.3 years at the current % to make up for a year lost of salary for the current players? How many of the current players will play that many more years?

    Wouldn't it be better for the majority of the players to take the 50% than have a year lost?
    Not necessarily. In the event of the loss of a full season, a lot of players will try to head overseas to play. The money is not the same, but the fact that there are other opportunities to play besides the NBA will help to alleviate some of the pressure of lost paychecks.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  3. #3
    Brett Blume
    Points: 50,622, Level: 69
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brentblum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,125
    Points
    50,622
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 114

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Not necessarily. In the event of the loss of a full season, a lot of players will try to head overseas to play. The money is not the same, but the fact that there are other opportunities to play besides the NBA will help to alleviate some of the pressure of lost paychecks.
    The veterans are standing to lose quite a bit in this. But they are "holding firm for future players." Kevin Garnett is leading the charge. I know the players get a bad rap, but they are no doubt going to get hosed by this deal. As one of 4 NBA fans in Iowa, I'm actually a bit disappointed by the labor unrest. The owners aren't being truthful. Sucks for fans regardless.


    Twitter.com/brentblum

  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 101,734, Level: 99
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,465
    Points
    101,734
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    The veterans are standing to lose quite a bit in this. But they are "holding firm for future players." Kevin Garnett is leading the charge. I know the players get a bad rap, but they are no doubt going to get hosed by this deal. As one of 4 NBA fans in Iowa, I'm actually a bit disappointed by the labor unrest. The owners aren't being truthful. Sucks for fans regardless.
    Basically, the owners want the players to give up money to make up for the new owners overspending when they bought their franchises at a ridiculous price, correct?




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  5. #5
    Speechless
    Points: 399,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,883
    Points
    399,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    Not necessarily. In the event of the loss of a full season, a lot of players will try to head overseas to play. The money is not the same, but the fact that there are other opportunities to play besides the NBA will help to alleviate some of the pressure of lost paychecks.
    I see very few making the jump overseas - just the big name stars. The majority will be screwed. If a season is lost for the average player, it would be dumb as dirt. The players have gone as low as 53% in negotiations. The mopney all together lost for two weeks already is making all look stupid.

    Frankly, owners usually get more than 50% in other sports.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  6. #6
    Brett Blume
    Points: 50,622, Level: 69
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 528
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    brentblum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,125
    Points
    50,622
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 179
    Given: 114

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Basically, the owners want the players to give up money to make up for the new owners overspending when they bought their franchises at a ridiculous price, correct?
    Essentially. The players aren't immune from stupidity in this thing, it was completely unnecessary and dumb for all involved. Feel especially for many team employees who will lose their jobs over this. Hard to pay someone with no tickets to sell.


    Twitter.com/brentblum

  7. #7
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,697, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,380
    Points
    600,697
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,350
    Given: 117

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    I see very few making the jump overseas - just the big name stars. The majority will be screwed. If a season is lost for the average player, it would be dumb as dirt. The players have gone as low as 53% in negotiations. The mopney all together lost for two weeks already is making all look stupid.

    Frankly, owners usually get more than 50% in other sports.

    I didn't say that a lot of players would succeed in playing overseas. I said a lot would try. NBA agents are really pushing for the players to hold out, because of the money they stand to lose if the owners get what they want. I guarantee a lot of marginal players have had their fears allayed by being told that they can easily get jobs in foreign leagues should a season be lost. Finding out that those spots on foreign teams are hard to come by will be a big test of the players solidarity.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 101,734, Level: 99
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,465
    Points
    101,734
    Level
    99
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    Essentially. The players aren't immune from stupidity in this thing, it was completely unnecessary and dumb for all involved. Feel especially for many team employees who will lose their jobs over this. Hard to pay someone with no tickets to sell.
    Is David Stern supposed to be impartial in all of this? His interview on Mike & Mike this morning was basically an open advertisement for the owners doing everything they can and the players being difficult/stubborn.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  9. #9
    Speechless
    Points: 399,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,883
    Points
    399,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Basically, the owners want the players to give up money to make up for the new owners overspending when they bought their franchises at a ridiculous price, correct?
    $450M overspent by owners plus $150M in profits by 8 owners or net $300M in losses with chance to go higher, especially after fewer fans coming this year to games. The players are willing to make up 200M or so of the losses with chance to get more later. Unfortunately, for the model to work, the woners may need to show a profit or the franchises may be worth less. I am guessing the owner probably do noeed 48-50% to keep the NBA fit and happy. The players will never accept that as they are so talented and one of a kind. Sounds like our govt impasses.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  10. #10
    Rookie
    Points: 17,243, Level: 39
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 7
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    dtlantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    569
    Points
    17,243
    Level
    39
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 32

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by brentblum View Post
    As one of 4 NBA fans in the US, I'm actually a bit disappointed by the labor unrest.
    FIFY



  11. #11
    Speechless
    Points: 399,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,883
    Points
    399,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Is David Stern supposed to be impartial in all of this? His interview on Mike & Mike this morning was basically an open advertisement for the owners doing everything they can and the players being difficult/stubborn.
    With the dollars as they are, he prpbably made the correct statement. The franchises need to show a profit to make the dollar model a good investment. If the franchise loses money, the franchise as an investment will be worst less and the players will have a sm,ller pie to get their money from. The players may feel they are toptally worth it, but from a dollar standpoint, they should not kill the golden goose or the inherent value of the franchises. Other sports are making it work. Hockey has little television netwrok except on a local basis and they are surviving.

    This is somewhat like the govt makes a lot of promises and then it cannot pay its bills when the time comes.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  12. #12
    Speechless
    Points: 865,398, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    56,032
    Points
    865,398
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,866
    Given: 1,608

    Re: Lock out question

    It's just one of those things for the NBA these days. Right after a playoff season that was incredibly interesting, they have this lockout. I thought they really were building some momentum that they could do something with, unless they went down this ridiculous road.

    Of course, they chose this road. Looks like it's working very well


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  13. #13
    Hooper drives the boat, Chief
    Points: 600,697, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupVeteran50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second Class
    Mr Janny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    22,380
    Points
    600,697
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,350
    Given: 117

    Re: Lock out question

    The case the players can make is that they are the product and the league is worth very little without them. One only need to look at a team like Cleveland to see that a single player is enough to take a team from nothing to the height of popularity and reduce them to nothing again, upon departure.


    "What a horrible night to have a curse."
    -Simon Belmont

    "Please bury me with all my stuff, because you know it's mine..."
    -Master Shake

    "Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood."
    -Lorem Ipsum

  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 399,093, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Wesley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Omaha
    Posts
    58,883
    Points
    399,093
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 556
    Given: 357

    Re: Lock out question

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Janny View Post
    The case the players can make is that they are the product and the league is worth very little without them. One only need to look at a team like Cleveland to see that a single player is enough to take a team from nothing to the height of popularity and reduce them to nothing again, upon departure.
    The problem is money in needs to equal or exceed money out unless someone floats you free loans. It is not that players are the whole show, the overall 2-3B has to pay the bills or you will see teams folding and franchiuses lessen in value. The Celtics is the best franchise, but if they lost money, it would not be.

    The players need to realize that the economy is down and higher ticket prices may lose more fans. Maybe they need to take 50% for three years, and then 53% after the recession. There should be a mathematical formula that slides to the economic models. Maybe the mediator will get it done.


    Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 25,337, Level: 48
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 213
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    southern iowa
    Posts
    2,626
    Points
    25,337
    Level
    48
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 139

    Re: Lock out question

    It's all stupid, both sides are being overly greedy. I do enjoy watching NBA basketball, especially the playoffs, but I'm not going to miss it if there is no season.


    Go Cyclones!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: FS1
  • Iowa State @ Oklahoma State
  • October 4, 2014
  • 11:00 AM