Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Iowa State Defense Vs. Toledo Offense

Taking a look at the matchups in this game along with the results to date, got me more excited about our defense. As Chizik would say our defense has clearly not "arrived", but I like a lot of the things I am seeing. Our secondary has vastly improved over last year not only in the stats but in the coverage you can see from the stands. Both our safeties, particlulary when Brown is in their are very physical. We are actually getting more sacks than we allow. There is a lot to like about the early signs of Bolts defense. Toledo will present its own set of challenges including the tight end who last year demoralized us with his 13 catches. (but we love him for the dropped 2 point conversion to give us the game) I don't think this defense will allow him to get off like that, but you have to think he is excited for this game. Take a read of the write up fo the matchup by clicking the link below and share your comments.

Blog Link

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 883
    Given: 622

Re: Iowa State Defense Vs. Toledo Offense

Their new qb does not look like he is doing so hot. The old qb might come in the second quarter. I would think Toledo will try to run the ball mostly and of course we will try to stop the run mostly. Looks like drawing penalties is how we will stop their runninggame if they pound away for four yards a pop. Todd Riesen of Kansas was too much for their secondary. I am going to expect Bret to be similar.

Picking ISU 31 (yes we get 4 TDs) - 14. Last game I projected ISU 14 to Iowa 10. Always thought we would score in the red zone. This week we will score 4 times. Love that 5 receiver set. Really opens up the field. Hope they run the quick forward pass flip to J J Bass. Hope they run Milan Moses around behind Bret and fake a handoff. We should do stuff to confuse their young defense. Really mix up the plays.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Their new qb has struggled a little this year, but he has also been in position where defenses new they would have to throw b/c they were so far behind.

Regarding Offense vs. their defense, as I said in yesterdays write up, it really depends on if they get back the seniors in the secondary who have been out with injuries.

"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" - Winston Churchill

All-Star
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 405
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 80

I agree with you on the ISU defense, but I'll be surprised if we have a breakout touchdown game on the road. My guess is we get 3 touchdowns, and finish in the mid 20s. Anything more than that and the offense is really coming around.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

The Rockets also scored 24 points and had 326 yards of total offense in the season opener against a good Purdue defense that is ranked #24 in the nation in scoring defense. The Kansas game really deflated their passing game statistics where they put up only 77 yars passing vs. the nearly 270 they averaged in first two games

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by JCloned View Post
    The Rockets also scored 24 points and had 326 yards of total offense in the season opener against a good Purdue defense that is ranked #24 in the nation in scoring defense. The Kansas game really deflated their passing game statistics where they put up only 77 yars passing vs. the nearly 270 they averaged in first two games
    Purdue led 28-14 at the end of the half and 38-14 after the first play in the fourth quarter. Toledo's final 10 points and I'm assuming quite a bit of their yards came in garbage time. I'm not saying Toledo couldn't move the ball against Purdue, but this was basically a "preseason" game for Purdue at Toledo and it wasn't much of a game at the half.

Last edited by jdoggivjc; 09-20-2007 at 08:41 AM.
    Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Addict
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 52
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I'm not saying Toledo couldn't move the ball against Toledo, but this was basically a "preseason" game for Purdue at Toledo and it wasn't much of a game at the half.
    Boy, if Toledo can't move the ball very well against themselves, then I am really starting to like our chances in this one.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,345
    Given: 939

Quote Originally Posted by cstrunk View Post
    Boy, if Toledo can't move the ball very well against themselves, then I am really starting to like our chances in this one.
    Crap...

Fixed it

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

All-Star
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    Purdue led 28-14 at the end of the half and 38-14 after the first play in the fourth quarter. Toledo's final 10 points and I'm assuming quite a bit of their yards came in garbage time. I'm not saying Toledo couldn't move the ball against Purdue, but this was basically a "preseason" game for Purdue at Toledo and it wasn't much of a game at the half.

Actually over half of Toledo's yards came in the first half and they had majority of those yard in the first quarter. While it ended up being a big margin, neither Toledo who expected to be on top of the MAC nor Purdue went into the game expecting this result. Like ISU Toledo has moved the ball, but has had drive killing penalties and turnovers. The one difference vs. ISU is that Toledo has really struggled on third down.