Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Can Mac win more than 7 games?

The obvious answer is yes. We won 9 games in 2000. But when I think about trying to W-L our season this year, I cannot help but reflect upon the last 7 years. Mac has done great things at ISU. Who would have thought we would ever go to 5 bowl games in the last 6 years? But, again when I look back at the last 7years, I see a lot of missed opportunities. I think the 99 team had enough talent to go to a bowl game. The KSU and CU games stick out as games we let get away. In 2001, it was A-M and Alabama. In 2002, it was Uconn which sent us to Boise. 2003 was a disaster. In 2004, it was CU and MU and last year was the worse. We should have been at least 9-2.

We certainly have won games over that period of time that we should have lost but it very easy to see us having won at least one more game per year over the last 7 years except for 2000. I think the 2 biggest factors in why we lost most of those games is Mac being overly conservative and poor special teams especially field goal kicking. I would think a conservative coach would make sure he had a good field goal kicker.

As for this year, I think our defense will be okay. I see us as talented but inexperienced and undersized. My concern is that could lead to giving up big plays and wearing down in the 4th quarter. I am still not sold on Barney Cotton and our offense line. This group has been bad the last several years. I think the key to success on the offense is can we get our running backs to average 4.5-5 yards per carry. Ennis Haywood over his career averaged 5 yards per carry. That would really help a young defense. Culbertson can make the kicks until the game is on the line. Hopefully, that can change. I look at our schedule and I do see 8-9 possible wins but it is hard for me to predict us winning more than 7 games not really because of our talent or schedule but more so because of past history.

I think the biggest games this year are the Big 12 North games. They are the key to us getting to the next level. We are 5-5 the last 2 years against a mediocre North. If we can run the table on the North, everything else will fall into line.

I like Mac and what he has done for ISU. This is not meant to be an anti-Mac post. I really hope he learned a lot from last year. His comments about losing 3 OT games that we led give me hope that he will make changes to take us to the next level. I see from the poll that half of the posters think we will win 8-9 games. I am sure once the season starts I will go into every game thinking we can and will win. That is what it means to be a fan and why I get so disappointed in our losses. But when the season is over and all the dust has settled, I think past history will show that we are 7-5 before going bowling. I do hope I am wrong.

Last edited by Gary_ISU; 08-23-2006 at 03:54 PM.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 78
    Given: 23
    Good post Gary. And I share many of your concerns. I am a Mac guy and believe he can lead us to the next level but many of your points are valid. One thing that does concern me is that we lose many more games that we should have won vs. games we are the underdog and actually win (especially if you take out Iowa). The only thing I can respond with is that this program is just getting used to winning. I believe after last year, the program (players, coaches, etc) learned what it takes to win a close game. That's why I am excited/nervous about this season...it will test us.

As for some of your other points
    • Kicking - What else can Mac do? Culbertson was very good except for when it really counts. That is not Mac's fault...that is BC not producing.
    • Cotton and the O-line - Has been improving every year since he has been here. I'm anxious to see their progress this year.
    I really want to see this team get to 8 wins.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 139
    Given: 107
    Let's just hope we do not have any blocked fieldgoals early in the year. Hard on the psyche.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 834
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Before you talk about poor special teams play do a little research especially on college kickers. Deandre is first team all Big 12 returner, we cover returns well, Yelk had a thunder leg, and our punting was damn good. This year shouuld be the same except kick offs when most team will have trouble with the lower tee. BTW- This bodes well with Deandre back there.
    As far as Shaggy goes, he is up there with some of the best in college when it comes to field goal percentage. He doesn't miss Extra points. Now that doesn't sound like a big deal, but again do the research. Now with that said you know you have a 50% chance at best with him beyond 40 yards. But if you look at the other top kickers in the country not named Mason Crosby the numbers are the same. Now he hasn't been clutch but he has also been put in that position more times than most kickers and he is just now a Junior. You see it every Saturday...kickers missing clutch kicks. Ask teams like Florida State.
    As far as Mac's conservative coaching...Well you could attribute some of our success to that same coaching. Ball control, give us a chance to win, make a play to win it. We have won some games we could have just as easily lost. People also forget Cotton has only been here for a year and a half. He is just now getting some of his players in the sytems and is still working the offense. Mac said earlier that with Meyer understanding the offense more they should be able to do more.

Last edited by tazclone; 08-23-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 72
    Given: 7
    I say anything less than eight wins and at least a alamo bowl birth is a disappointment. We should win all of our home games, there is no reason not to. Out of all of our road games I see K. State as a automatic win. If we can win two games out of the Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado then that would be great. Right there is 9 wins but if we do happen to lose one game at home then that would still be 8 wins.

Walk On
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 310
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    I don't quite understand why everyone is worried about kicking and the o-line we need to look on the other side of the ball and figure out if our defense can stop anyone. I've heard several reports out of practice that our number 1 offense is running circles around our number 1 defense. I don't care how good our offense may be, they can't be expected to score 42 points every game just so we have a chance. I hate to say it but I think that Iowa, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and Texas Tech have pretty damn good offenses and they are very comparable to ours. If our defense can't stop our offense how are they going to stop theirs..... We could very easy be 8-4 or 4-8 but the reason why we will be either will not depend on our offense it defense. Defense wins ball games not offense.

Last edited by clone4410; 08-23-2006 at 04:30 PM.

Walk On
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 98
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by tazgolfv View Post
    Before you talk about poor special teams play do a little research especially on college kickers. Deandre is first team all Big 12 returner, we cover returns well, Yelk had a thunder leg, and our punting was damn good. This year shouuld be the same except kick offs when most team will have trouble with the lower tee. BTW- This bodes well with Deandre back there.
    As far as Shaggy goes, he is up there with some of the best in college when it comes to field goal percentage. He doesn't miss Extra points. Now that doesn't sound like a big deal, but again do the research. Now with that said you know you have a 50% chance at best with him beyond 40 yards. But if you look at the other top kickers in the country not named Mason Crosby the numbers are the same. Now he hasn't been clutch but he has also been put in that position more times than most kickers and he is just now a Junior. You see it every Saturday...kickers missing clutch kicks. Ask teams like Florida State.
    As far as Mac's conservative coaching...Well you could attribute some of our success to that same coaching. Ball control, give us a chance to win, make a play to win it. We have won some games we could have just as easily lost. People also forget Cotton has only been here for a year and a half. He is just now getting some of his players in the sytems and is still working the offense. Mac said earlier that with Meyer understanding the offense more they should be able to do more.
    My original post was talking about Mac's last 7 years in relation to what this year will be like. I would describe our special teams over that period of time as up and down. It has been better the last few years. Don't forget about the 2 blocked punts against Iowa in 2003. I am excited about the new special teams coach and that he will continue to make us better but we have not always had good special teams play.

As for field goal kicking, it has been average at best over the last 7 years. We have lost at least 4 games the last few years because of missing anywhere from 1-4 field goals.

Cotton was hired in January of 2004.

Addict
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 46
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7
    Mac can do it. Let's help him as much as possible by being an awesome crowd inside the stadium!

Bench Warmer Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by tazgolfv View Post
    But if you look at the other top kickers in the country not named Mason Crosby
    Nice.

What's the deal--you can't post a post with less than 8 characters?

Until you find something worth dying for, you're not really living.

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Having 12 games gives a team a much better chance to win six games and be bowl eligible. That is why the NCAA changed its $$$$$ mind. Last year, we almost did not have enough bowl teams.

Last edited by Wesley; 08-27-2006 at 05:44 PM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 742
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Quote Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
    Having 12 games gives a team a much better chance to win six games and be nowl eligible. That is why the NCAA changed its $$$$$ mind. Last year, we almost did not have enough bowl teams.
    Which is why there are too many bowls. It just doesn't seem right that over half of the D1 teams will go to a bowl.

All-Star Achievements:

Thumbs Up
    This is a do or die time for Mac. I have been critical of Mac, and have openly questioned whether or not he can take ISU to the next level. He has had to learn how to be a coach while on the job, and now it's time to show that he has learned all of the lessons required to be successful. I want to believe that he can get it done, but after 11 years of watching him vascillate on the sidelines while letting potentially program making wins slip away, let's just say that I wonder if it ever will get done.
    That being said, I will still be in Jack Trice, rooting the Clones on.

Jeffrey A Crawford

Pro
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 872
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 29
    One word will key our success this year: DEFENSE Enough said!

Go Cyclones!!

Speechless
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Playing better in overtime will also help. Did we start off with the ball in each of the three overtime losses?