Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 18
  1. #1
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    I just love seeing Texas ranked lower than us.

    This is a pretty lengthy post, but has a bunch of good details on what to expect/look forward to this season.

    Big XII Conference Preview



  2. #2
    Legend
    Points: 129,442, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,482
    Points
    129,442
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,720

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by TyClone100 View Post
    I just love seeing Texas ranked lower than us.

    This is a pretty lengthy post, but has a bunch of good details on what to expect/look forward to this season.

    Big XII Conference Preview
    Darius Garrett?!



  3. #3
    All-Star
    Points: 34,555, Level: 57
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 895
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    BenEClone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Lincoln, Ne
    Posts
    1,987
    Points
    34,555
    Level
    57
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 52

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Other pre-season publications have had us at 8/9. In a 10 team league, we're not projected into the top half of a tough conference. All we have right now is hope and expectations. I hope we exceed the expectations of those preseason picks. If Baylor is at the top of MBB, contending in football and a likely champ in WBB, that school has redefined its place in the conference. If they can do it, we can do it.


    “We’ve got a pretty good football conference, and we’ve got a pretty good conference overall. We’re still walking around with our heads held high and our chest out, about that.” Paul Rhoads

  4. #4
    Starter
    Points: 10,629, Level: 31
    Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 621
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    CycloneJames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ankeny
    Posts
    784
    Points
    10,629
    Level
    31
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 71

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    I love how the media acts like all these transfers were in trouble with the law and Hoiberg is giving them a second chance. Sure, that is the case for a few of them, but what exactly did Booker and Babb do? If I'm not mistaken they just wanted to transfer. Oh well, I prefer to be underdogs.



  5. #5
    Prospect
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    4
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    If Baylor is at the top of MBB, contending in football and a likely champ in WBB, that school has redefined its place in the conference. If they can do it, we can do it.
    That is a terrific point. I like where your head is at



  6. #6
    Legend
    Points: 129,442, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,482
    Points
    129,442
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,720

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneJames View Post
    I love how the media acts like all these transfers were in trouble with the law and Hoiberg is giving them a second chance. Sure, that is the case for a few of them, but what exactly did Booker and Babb do? If I'm not mistaken they just wanted to transfer. Oh well, I prefer to be underdogs.
    Isn't it really only the case with Royce and Lucious? Lucious had suspension for reckless driving but then played after that, before being dismissed (and he isn't even eligible to play this season) — unless I've conveniently forgotten some details about other players.

    The MSU bootings of Allen & Lucious still seem vague — more team policy/team expectations.

    Sure, the roster has an island of misfit toys feel to it. But it isn't a bunch of criminal castoffs.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 38,537, Level: 60
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,680
    Points
    38,537
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 17

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Darius Garrett?!
    That was basically a typo since he named him correctly a couple of times before that.

    Overall a good analysis I would say....this guy knows quite a lot about our team.



  8. #8
    Bench Warmer
    Points: 7,227, Level: 25
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    281
    Points
    7,227
    Level
    25
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 2

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Isn't it really only the case with Royce and Lucious? Lucious had suspension for reckless driving but then played after that, before being dismissed (and he isn't even eligible to play this season) — unless I've conveniently forgotten some details about other players.

    The MSU bootings of Allen & Lucious still seem vague — more team policy/team expectations.

    Sure, the roster has an island of misfit toys feel to it. But it isn't a bunch of criminal castoffs.
    Their releases from MSU were not for them being angels thats for sure. The reason is for off the court issues and not that they weren't good teammates or weren't willing to be coached. Hopefully they are not still involved in the kind of things that got them in trouble at Michigan State and will be terrific players for us.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 129,442, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclones500's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,482
    Points
    129,442
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 856
    Given: 1,720

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cycub51 View Post
    Their releases from MSU were not for them being angels thats for sure. The reason is for off the court issues and not that they weren't good teammates or weren't willing to be coached. Hopefully they are not still involved in the kind of things that got them in trouble at Michigan State and will be terrific players for us.
    Thanks for the clarification -- I assumed it was along those lines; when each got picked up as a transfer I didn't go back to get specifics on the dismissals.

    Before responding to that post in this thread, I found:

    Chris Allen Dismissed From Michigan State

    Interesting quote from Izzo:

    "I know he's going to be a great player," Izzo said. "He deserves another chance to play basketball somewhere, but it's in everyone's interest that it be somewhere other than Michigan State."

    Sounds like he made mistakes that were considered disruptive to program standards, but seems capable of thriving (both behaviorally and on the court) with a fresh start.



  10. #10
    Addict
    Points: 90,970, Level: 93
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 280
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassVeteran
    NATEizKING's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hilton
    Posts
    7,998
    Points
    90,970
    Level
    93
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 777
    Given: 1,343

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Darius Garrett?!
    He got it right in the first paragraph so I'll chalk that up as a brain fart.



  11. #11
    Addict
    Points: 80,795, Level: 88
    Level completed: 36%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    erikbj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    hiawatha, ia
    Posts
    6,489
    Points
    80,795
    Level
    88
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 682
    Given: 200

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Thanks for the clarification -- I assumed it was along those lines; when each got picked up as a transfer I didn't go back to get specifics on the dismissals.

    Before responding to that post in this thread, I found:

    Chris Allen Dismissed From Michigan State

    Interesting quote from Izzo:

    "I know he's going to be a great player," Izzo said. "He deserves another chance to play basketball somewhere, but it's in everyone's interest that it be somewhere other than Michigan State."

    Sounds like he made mistakes that were considered disruptive to program standards, but seems capable of thriving (both behaviorally and on the court) with a fresh start.
    i thought he got one of the other players gf pregnant which caused some chemistry issues, so he got the boot.



  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 20,191, Level: 43
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 559
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,647
    Points
    20,191
    Level
    43
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 4

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by erikbj View Post
    i thought he got one of the other players gf pregnant which caused some chemistry issues, so he got the boot.
    Didn't we have a player get in a fight over this a few yrs ago and we ended up not having either on the team the following year?



  13. #13
    Speechless
    Points: 295,552, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    chuckd4735's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    17,191
    Points
    295,552
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,317
    Given: 462

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by cyclones500 View Post
    Darius Garrett?!
    This guy...



  14. #14
    Starter
    Points: 11,336, Level: 32
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 614
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Newton, IA
    Posts
    798
    Points
    11,336
    Level
    32
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 22

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by chuckd4735 View Post
    This guy...
    I thought he had glasses?



  15. #15
    All-Star
    Points: 32,117, Level: 55
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 933
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    F5cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    1,369
    Points
    32,117
    Level
    55
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 270
    Given: 118

    Re: Cyclones start the season as 6th best in BigXII

    Quote Originally Posted by BenEClone View Post
    If Baylor is at the top of MBB, contending in football and a likely champ in WBB, that school has redefined its place in the conference. If they can do it, we can do it.
    The Year 2000 - Iowa State Cyclones

    Regular Season & Big 12 Tournament Champs
    Men's & Women's Basketball Teams

    9-3 (5-3), Insight.com Bowl Champs
    Football Team



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • TV: Cyclones.TV
  • FOOTBALL: Iowa State vs. UNI
  • September 5, 2015
  • 07:00 PM