Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 97
  1. #1
    Publisher
    Points: 772,035, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    ChrisMWilliams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    15,796
    Points
    772,035
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 499
    Given: 133

    Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Brent Blum on officiating and Iowa State. A must read.

    Brent Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies. | Cyclone Fanatic



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 42,700, Level: 63
    Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 250
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    mike4cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Urbandale
    Posts
    2,564
    Points
    42,700
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Brent Blum on officiating and Iowa State. A must read.

    Brent Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies. | Cyclone Fanatic

    If the marquee matchups get the "A crew" officials...I would like to know where that A crew was for the notorious ISU MSU Elite 8 MBB game. I hate officials and always will. The quality of officiating has steadily, and noticably declined since I started watching sports 20 years ago.


    --Luck of the Cyrish--






  3. #3
    Rookie
    Points: 8,132, Level: 26
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 18
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    511
    Points
    8,132
    Level
    26
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    If the marquee matchups get the "A crew" officials...I would like to know where that A crew was for the notorious ISU MSU Elite 8 MBB game. I hate officials and always will. The quality of officiating has steadily, and noticably declined since I started watching sports 20 years ago.
    I doubt it. Although the mistakes have become more noticeable since every game is on TV, and the quality of replay is much better (HD and more/better camera angles)



  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 100,920, Level: 98
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 130
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    khaal53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,420
    Points
    100,920
    Level
    98
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 40
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Good stuff Blumer! I do not come from a family of officials, but I tend to fall in line with you where I believe that egregious calls that hurt ISU are not part of some grand conspiracy theory but are honest mistakes.

    If you remove the offsides call that is baically a complete anomaly, I think a lot of then angst comes from the perception of replay. From your breakdown, 7 of the 18 plays were overturned....of those 7, 5 went against ISU. It's just a matter of perception. Whether the call was right or wrong people see that 5-2 score on overturned calls and it gets frustrating, even if the calls are right, ya know?

    My biggest problem with replay in college football is how the requirement for indisputable evidence has seemingly gotten softer and softer. For instance, the RG3 fumble...imo, whatever was called on the field is what should have stood. That, in my eyes, did not meet the level of "conclusive". On those bang-bang plays you have to go with what was called on the field and the officials instincts (a problem there being that officials have probably somewhat been trained to let the play go and defer to review if necessary).

    Similar to people that complain about foul count at halftime of a basketball game. One team being called for more fouls doesn't mean that the refs have it out for anyone...it probably means that they think one team is fouling more and they are calling it as such.




    I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

  5. #5
    Brett Blume
    Points: 49,976, Level: 69
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    brentblum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,084
    Points
    49,976
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 54

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Good stuff Blumer! I do not come from a family of officials, but I tend to fall in line with you where I believe that egregious calls that hurt ISU are not part of some grand conspiracy theory but are honest mistakes.

    If you remove the offsides call that is baically a complete anomaly, I think a lot of then angst comes from the perception of replay. From your breakdown, 7 of the 18 plays were overturned....of those 7, 5 went against ISU. It's just a matter of perception. Whether the call was right or wrong people see that 5-2 score on overturned calls and it gets frustrating, even if the calls are right, ya know?

    My biggest problem with replay in college football is how the requirement for indisputable evidence has seemingly gotten softer and softer. For instance, the RG3 fumble...imo, whatever was called on the field is what should have stood. That, in my eyes, did not meet the level of "conclusive". On those bang-bang plays you have to go with what was called on the field and the officials instincts (a problem there being that officials have probably somewhat been trained to let the play go and defer to review if necessary).

    Similar to people that complain about foul count at halftime of a basketball game. One team being called for more fouls doesn't mean that the refs have it out for anyone...it probably means that they think one team is fouling more and they are calling it as such.
    Great stuff. Couldn't agree more. And Mike4Cy...the elite 8 refs are exempt from this discussion, they were a bunch of slappies!


    Twitter.com/brentblum

  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 26,977, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,920
    Points
    26,977
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    So you proved that more often than not calls go against ISU in reviews. The bigger problem is that really really obviously bad calls go against ISU; that shouldn't happen.



  7. #7
    Pro
    Points: 64,625, Level: 78
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 225
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Die4Cy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,407
    Points
    64,625
    Level
    78
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 108
    Given: 93

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    IT could be nothing. It probably IS nothing. I don't believe in conspiracies. But it nags at me.

    I know it is the kind of thing that isn't supposed to be discussed, but I think the answer could lie in the point spreads. Understand, I don't have the resources at my fingertips to illustrate, but think about:

    ISU is a school that often outperforms the spread. For whatever reason, maybe our fans are hesitant to support ISU on a betting line, or our national reputation is one that leads to larger lines being set than they should. But there are teams like that. Iowa often underperforms the spread. There are trends there, and people are aware of them.

    There is a lot of money not just in who wins or loses, but by how much.


    Faster than a stallion. Meaner than a hungry hound.

  8. #8
    Walk On
    Points: 8,605, Level: 27
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    nowhere
    Posts
    141
    Points
    8,605
    Level
    27
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Blummer, I have asked this question to a friend of mine who has officated for 30 years and he never really has an answer, as an officiating family, here is my question.. i understand how an official misses an infraction, holding ; PI; offsides; ect, if THEY DIDNT SEE IT. But HOW DO U SEE SOMETHING THAT DIDNT HAPPEN? that is what I dont get.



  9. #9
    All-Star
    Points: 26,977, Level: 50
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 573
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Ames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,920
    Points
    26,977
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    Similar to people that complain about foul count at halftime of a basketball game. One team being called for more fouls doesn't mean that the refs have it out for anyone...it probably means that they think one team is fouling more and they are calling it as such.
    The funny thing with that is if the fouls count is too lopsided you can be assured they will make an attempt to even it up as the clock is winding down. Especially in WBB.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 210,244, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 45.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    16,132
    Points
    210,244
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 417
    Given: 207

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Reynolds' long catch against Texas that was overturned was a ridiculously bad call... I don't see how they could possibly overturn it based on the video evidence, which appeared to confirm the catch, and definitely did not provide the undisputed video evidence necessary to overturn a call.

    I thought it was a pretty interesting coincidence that BS, unexcusable offsides call came right at a pivotal point of the game for those who were worried about the point spread...



  11. #11
    Brett Blume
    Points: 49,976, Level: 69
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,174
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    brentblum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,084
    Points
    49,976
    Level
    69
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 67
    Given: 54

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by proisu View Post
    Blummer, I have asked this question to a friend of mine who has officated for 30 years and he never really has an answer, as an officiating family, here is my question.. i understand how an official misses an infraction, holding ; PI; offsides; ect, if THEY DIDNT SEE IT. But HOW DO U SEE SOMETHING THAT DIDNT HAPPEN? that is what I dont get.
    Great question. It sucks, but officials are human whether we like it or not. I've reffed games before where I swear I saw something occur and when I saw a tape of the game, it was clearly not there. It can be bad angles/obstructed view, etc. and unfortunately sometimes there is an educated guess that has to be made. That said, the offsides call was absolutely inexcusable. NO explanation for that.

    And I don't mean to fire people up, just looking at this from a different angle. Thanks all for reading!


    Twitter.com/brentblum

  12. #12
    All-Star
    Points: 19,308, Level: 42
    Level completed: 40%, Points required for next Level: 542
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    crash_zone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Tiffin, IA
    Posts
    1,626
    Points
    19,308
    Level
    42
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 2

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    If you were a ref and gambled (or had family that did) - you have an amazing edge in determining games. There is a "hold" on almost every play in football....just a matter of when to call them.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 140,793, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,519
    Points
    140,793
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMWilliams View Post
    Brent Blum on officiating and Iowa State. A must read.

    Brent Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies. | Cyclone Fanatic
    SPOT ON ------ WHAT A GREAT PIECE !!!!!!!!!!!



  14. #14
    Speechless
    Points: 431,706, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Ames
    Posts
    23,788
    Points
    431,706
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 104
    Given: 15

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    I always enjoy the "indisputable" evidence part. I'm still waiting on that part for the TD call at UConn by their QB? and taking Woody's TD away last week. Also would love to know how James White didn't get the TD against UConn? where KO got hurt the next play (that shouldn't have happened).

    If there truly is indisputable evidence, replay officials shouldn't take much heat as any reasonable fans are going to agree.



  15. #15
    Pro
    Points: 74,442, Level: 84
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,468
    Points
    74,442
    Level
    84
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 6

    Re: Blum: Officials. Referees. Zebras. Enemies.

    Based on our coaches reaction after the game, I'm guessing he wouldn't be as apologetic as you.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM