Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

High Def TV Atenna's

Anybody have much experience with these? Have been considering canning my cable and just getting TV over the air waves. I've tried some indoor attena's with so/so luck. Beginning to think I need a bigger outdoor one, but not quite sure how I will pump that signal through my wall cables(I want to keep my high speed cable through Mediacom). Can you use the same cable for both?

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 209
    Given: 465

Re: High Def TV Atenna's

Greatest picture quality out there is over OTA. Your Internet and tv will need separate sources but you should be able to direct the web cable to your modem and separately direct the ota to your vs.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 35

get a big 6 footer and stick it in the attic if you can or on the roof and check out this website on where to point the antenna

Address

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

Addict
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 955
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 44

I probably have the space to stick one in my attic, but is the signal strength going to be as good as it would be outside?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 170
    Given: 142

Check out antennaweb.org and it will help you select what size antenna you need. My personal experience with this leads me to believe you should get one size larger than they recommend.

When it comes time to buy, monoprice has incredible prices, as usual. I have one of their small generic antennas on the side of my house just as a backup for my satellite system and it works great.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 228
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

You know you can take about 20 inches of an old Mediacom cable or any digital cable and cut off one end, peel all of the plastic down to expose about an inch of the copper wire. The other end of the 20 inch cable should be the end with the connector on it. Screw the connector in and you will get reception.

I have been watching HD over the air for about 6 months this way. It works, just try it! Just a way to save 25 bucks on a HD antenna. Good Luck!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] I always carry a No. 2 pencil in my pocket in case mother******* wanna test me.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 153
    Given: 78

How to build a HDTV Antenna....CHEAP!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWQhlmJTMzw[/ame]

Pro
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 787
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up

Philips TV antenna SDV6122 HDTV/UHF/VHF/FM Indoor 20 dB amplified. Black from NextDayPC.com at SHOP.COM

here is the antenna that we have in WDM. it was about $30 at walmart but its definitely worth it. i think we get ~ 25-30 channels with it

Prospect
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 173
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

If you're having trouble getting good reception I highly doubt a home-made cheap one will do the trick. If you're in a spot where you cant get good reception it would probably be best to get an amplified antenna (one that plugs into a power outlet). They will increase your signal drastically.

I have a TV in the basement I was trying to get HD on. I tried a regular $8 antenna and got only channel 23/17. I tried moving the antenna to the main level with a really long cable to see if it's just because I was in the basement. I was able to pick up channel 13 and 11 then, but I didn't care to leave the antenna there with a cable strung up my stairs for just 2 channels.

I wound up dropping $40 on an amplified antenna and it works like a charm, all HD channels.

Pro
    Level completed: 50%, Points required for next Level: 505
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 1

Just as a note, an "HD" TV antenna is a made up term. There are differences between individual antennas, for sure, but they'll all pick up the digital signal. It's just a matter of having a digital tuner, whether that's built into your TV or through a digital tuner box.

That being said, getting a larger outdoor antenna will help, and I'd recommend looking at one that you also power electrically. This usually means that the incoming signal gets amplified, helping to provide a more reliable signal.

As for internet, like keepngoal said, that'll still come through the wall like your cable does now, and those need to be kept separate.

Starter
    Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 32
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 35

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    I probably have the space to stick one in my attic, but is the signal strength going to be as good as it would be outside?
    the signal will be a bit weaker but out of the elements and no one will ever see it. i did notice in my old house it was quite a bit weaker but i think the thick old stucco walls were probably the culprit

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than selfish and worry about my liver."
    --by Jack Handy

Speechless
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 27

Really depends on where you are... go to antennaweb and enter your zip, it will tell you the distance and freq range. In the DSM area you need a UHF/VHF antenna now. You used to need UHF only. I got a winegard (made in Iowa). It is absolutely fantastic.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin 1775

Pro
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 22
    Given: 52

Pm'd you ;)

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Skyh13 View Post
    Just as a note, an "HD" TV antenna is a made up term.
    true
    There are differences between individual antennas, for sure, but they'll all pick up the digital signal.
    not true. VHF is different from UHF signals -- 2 different antenna types.
    It's just a matter of having a digital tuner, whether that's built into your TV or through a digital tuner box.

That being said, getting a larger outdoor antenna will help, and I'd recommend looking at one that you also power electrically. This usually means that the incoming signal gets amplified, helping to provide a more reliable signal.

As for internet, like keepngoal said, that'll still come through the wall like your cable does now, and those need to be kept separate.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

All-Star
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 238
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Anybody have much experience with these? Have been considering canning my cable and just getting TV over the air waves. I've tried some indoor attena's with so/so luck. Beginning to think I need a bigger outdoor one, but not quite sure how I will pump that signal through my wall cables(I want to keep my high speed cable through Mediacom). Can you use the same cable for both?
    Where are you and what channels are you trying to get?

If somewhere within 30 miles of Alleman (where all the DSM tv stations have their broadcast antennas), then a $20 powered "rabbit ears" UHF/VHF antenna in your attic is likely to pick up all of 5, 8, 11, 13, 17, 23, and several others I don't remember (that's what I have in Ames). VERY VERY dependent on any obstructions and somewhat dependent on antenna positioning/placement. "Rabbit ears" on top of your TV most often has trouble from metal interferance (if you have metal siding then uh-oh) like duct work. Otherwise the more material the signal goes through, it'll degrade more (this is obvious, but people seem to forget). Walls, furniture, trees, other houses/buildings, even hills. That's why just getting higher up (attic, particularly in a 2 story house) can help a lot.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)