Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55
    Given: 0

enCYCLONEpedia: Burnham's Boys

Check out some of the numbers from Saturday that may paint a different story than you thought during and after the Baylor game about ISU's defense.

enCYCLONEpedia: Burnham's Boys | Cyclone Fanatic

Please share any comments and questions.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 555
    Given: 357

Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Burnham's Boys

That was my feeling too. Our problem was the front four could not stop Ganaway from breaking away.

The offense continues to clutter the field with misfires such as turnovers and penalities and short gainers. We need a more efficient offense team for the rest of the year. We need to gamble more on slants, lookins, misdirection, and fumblrrooskies type plays. Herm, we must become more unpredictable.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 985
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 28

Both the Texas game and the Baylor game -- I feel like the defense is getting too much credit. In the Texas game, after a great 4th down stuff and giving up only 13 points after 3 turnovers with short fields, they gave up 14 points on blown big plays in less than a quarter before the half. Game over.

Baylor -- they get credit for stopping Baylor's strength (big pass plays, RGIII, Wright), but you can't separate that from the huge running game (which I think makes your yards per play stat misleading).

You can have some mitigation when considering short fields, lack of offensive production, turnovers, etc. But at some point, those consideration turn into excuses. 42 points in 3 quarters.

May my postings be polite and not misunderstood. (And hopefully funny on occasion.)

Pro
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,316
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 55

Quote Originally Posted by TedKumsher View Post
    Both the Texas game and the Baylor game -- I feel like the defense is getting too much credit. In the Texas game, after a great 4th down stuff and giving up only 13 points after 3 turnovers with short fields, they gave up 14 points on blown big plays in less than a quarter before the half. Game over.

Baylor -- they get credit for stopping Baylor's strength (big pass plays, RGIII, Wright), but you can't separate that from the huge running game (which I think makes your yards per play stat misleading).

You can have some mitigation when considering short fields, lack of offensive production, turnovers, etc. But at some point, those consideration turn into excuses. 42 points in 3 quarters.
    Thanks, I appreciate the comments. All told, even with the rushing yardage allowed I still think the ISU defense performed pretty well. Better than any other opponent has against Baylor thus far, we'll see how that changes as their competition stiffens the rest of the year.

I don't want it to sound like claiming a moral victory, but it must've come off that way for some. Just wanted to point out that the ISU defense played better against the Baylor offense in Waco than the K-State defense did in Manhattan. And K-State is a top 2 defense in the league.

With a lot of the offenses is the B12 the numbers are skewed. Plays are run quickly, scores happen fast, and more possessions result because of that. The baseline for scoring keeps getting higher and higher.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Walk On
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 81
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

name 1 defense that can be on the field for 97 snaps in any game and not give up some big plays, yardage, points, etc. esp when the offense goes 3 and out on half of its possessions. what the offense does directly affects the defense. the only constant in the past 2 1/2 years is that the offense does not put points on the board. the defense has been getting off the field more this year than the past 2 years and get rewarded by going right back out there less than 2 minutes later. the coaches don't even have time to coach them when they come off before they have to go right back out.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 322
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

yawn they gave up 391 yards