Publisher
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation First ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,053
    Given: 279

enCYCLONEpedia: Burnhamís Boys

Pro
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: enCYCLONEpedia: Burnhamís Boys

I love statistics to back up claims and it is done pretty well there... I didn't think our defense played that bad at all when you are going up against a team w/ that caliber of offense...

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 489
    Given: 808

nope our defense sucked...our defense was way worse than our offense, how dare you bring well thought out stats into the discussion!!!

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 11

What is ISU's winning percentage when we give up close to 400 yards rushing?

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 19

He mentions we had 3 sacks against Baylor. How are we doing overall so far this year? Does anyone know off the top of their head how many sacks we have?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 1,292
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 175
    Given: 39

Quote Originally Posted by BirdOfWar View Post
    He mentions we had 3 sacks against Baylor. How are we doing overall so far this year? Does anyone know off the top of their head how many sacks we have?
    8 so far.

11 all of last season.

I don't think I'm alone when I say I'd like to see more and more planets fall under the ruthless domination of our solar system.

Legend
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialOverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 489
    Given: 808

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    What is ISU's winning percentage when the offense is out there for more than 30 minutes of a game this season?

Pro
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 511
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 187
    Given: 372

The only statistic worth keeping is the final score. I did notice missing from the statistics is defensive penalties between the two teams.....I wonder why.......

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclophile1 View Post
    When giving up 350+ yards on the ground ISU is 1-31.

Lone victory was a 7-6 win over Kansas State in 1931.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

Starter
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 311
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 47

great article! thanks

Starter
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 13
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneG View Post
    8 so far.

11 all of last season.

That's a good start, but if I remember right we were far behind all the other teams last year so hopefully we continue to improve.

Recruit
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 30

I see all those defensive stats and nowhere does it tell me "we played well on D." Saying we played good D against Baylor sure sounds like resigning yourself to moral victories. We are showing glimpses of great D, but we're not there quite yet and we're probably another year away until our athleticism can match the rest of the top-tier Big12 teams.

The way I saw it is that we realized we weren't athletic enough to shut down Baylor. Wally (appropriately) put together a one-dimensional defense to contain RGIII. 5 in the box all night long against their 5 offensive lineman was NEVER going to shut down a running game, no matter Knott's Superman-like abilities. We banked on mishaps, and while it worked in the 1st quarter, Baylor wised-up, protected the ball, and marched the ball down our throats the rest of the game. Our own offense could hang for awhile, but ultimately one too many bonehead mistakes left us behind.

No moral victories here. RGII was contained? Who cares. They put up 42 points and ran for 400 yards. I know this sounds cynical but the truth is now that we're in Big 12 play it's clear we still are not *quite* up to snuff in terms of athleticism. We have an excellent coaching staff and great gameplans, but our only real hope moving forward is to clean up our act (penalties) and create more takeaways.

Pro
    Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,155
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 58

Quote Originally Posted by GetAwesome View Post
    I see all those defensive stats and nowhere does it tell me "we played well on D." Saying we played good D against Baylor sure sounds like resigning yourself to moral victories. We are showing glimpses of great D, but we're not there quite yet and we're probably another year away until our athleticism can match the rest of the top-tier Big12 teams.

The way I saw it is that we realized we weren't athletic enough to shut down Baylor. Wally (appropriately) put together a one-dimensional defense to contain RGIII. 5 in the box all night long against their 5 offensive lineman was NEVER going to shut down a running game, no matter Knott's Superman-like abilities. We banked on mishaps, and while it worked in the 1st quarter, Baylor wised-up, protected the ball, and marched the ball down our throats the rest of the game. Our own offense could hang for awhile, but ultimately one too many bonehead mistakes left us behind.

No moral victories here. RGII was contained? Who cares. They put up 42 points and ran for 400 yards. I know this sounds cynical but the truth is now that we're in Big 12 play it's clear we still are not *quite* up to snuff in terms of athleticism. We have an excellent coaching staff and great gameplans, but our only real hope moving forward is to clean up our act (penalties) and create more takeaways.
    I agree with a lot of this, but the intent was never to claim a moral victory. The point was that the defense played better against Baylor than the 2nd best defense in the B12 did the week prior.

We did a great job of taking away what Baylor wanted to do and likes to do, by not allowing them to score quickly with the deep ball. RG3 was forced to prove his patience and not force the ball deep down the field...unfortuantely, he did that.

Yep, we were shredded on the ground, but even then we came up with stops throughout the game. The other point was that the defense was just a turnover or big play away from doing what it needed to for the ISU offense to have a chance to win the game.

But, the ISU had 5 three-and-outs and gave the ball back to Baylor too often, too quickly when ISU badly needed points to keep up.

I'm on Twitter: @khaal53

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 525
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 85
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by khaal53 View Post
    I agree with a lot of this, but the intent was never to claim a moral victory. The point was that the defense played better against Baylor than the 2nd best defense in the B12 did the week prior.

We did a great job of taking away what Baylor wanted to do and likes to do, by not allowing them to score quickly with the deep ball. RG3 was forced to prove his patience and not force the ball deep down the field...unfortuantely, he did that.

Yep, we were shredded on the ground, but even then we came up with stops throughout the game. The other point was that the defense was just a turnover or big play away from doing what it needed to for the ISU offense to have a chance to win the game.

But, the ISU had 5 three-and-outs and gave the ball back to Baylor too often, too quickly when ISU badly needed points to keep up.
    We were successful in taking away their primary and preferred threat, which is the big play in the passing game. What we gave up to achieve that was a lot of big plays in the running game. We were gambling that they couldn't beat us in the rushing game and we lost. We didn't play well against the run at all. Scratch that, we stunk against it. They made adjustments and beat us. Couple that with the fact that we did not play well enough on offense to keep up with their tecmo bowl scoring and you have a loss.

I actually don't think either side of the ball played particularly well overall. Their defense isn't good enough to force all those three and outs simply on talent - we didn't execute well in the passing game and lost protection a lot and quickly far too often. I think Baylor was pretty disruptive in their pass rush. I think they wanted to see if Jantz could beat them with the pass and they won that one.

Again, we lost the points of turnovers battle. Turnovers need to result in points to ultimately matter a lot and we gave up more than we got. We lost the field position battle with more punts into the wind and generally not very good special teams play (the perfectly executed onside kick aside). We had a couple of critical penalties which extended drives for them and resulted in points. So, between those and the ridiculous, momentum changing 'tuck fumble' and onside kick blown call, we lost on all the hidden battles that can make a difference.

I am hopeful because I don't think we executed particularly well against a pretty good overall team with a tremendous offense. It gives me hope because I think, if we continue to grow, learn and execute better, we will be in these next four games.

Last edited by Cyclophile1; 10-11-2011 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo