Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Post In grading Chizik, might look at Buffs

DesMoinesRegister.com

Those who want to gauge Gene Chizik's progress at Iowa State may be able to draw comparisons with Colorado.

The Buffaloes made a transition last year under new coach Dan Hawkins, much like the Cyclones are undergoing this fall with Chizik.

Colorado had slipped into mediocrity, and unlike Iowa State was bogged down in recent seasons by scandal.

Hawkins, who compiled a 53-11 record in five seasons at Boise State, was among 11 first-year coaches nationally in 2006. Only one of those finished with fewer wins. The Buffs were 2-10. Temple's Al Golden went 1-11.

The average number of wins for the 11 was 5.6.

Both Colorado and Iowa State are working to upgrade facilities, while trying to rebuild a football program in the Big 12 Conference's North Division.

Hawkins brought a reputation for success to Boulder, but his team was still adapting while losing its first six games.

Hawkins shared his thoughts in a blog: "If we're afraid to take risks, if we're afraid of failure, we'll never be all that we can be."

The Buffs opened this season by beating Colorado State 31-28 in overtime.

Chizik led the Cyclones to a win over Iowa in his third week on the job.

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,990
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

Re: In grading Chizik, might look at Buffs

Well, I get the article. What I don't get is why this is even an issue. Seriously, if people are already questioning Chizik (and I know they have) after our first couple of games. Then they really need to get their heads on straight. Heck, we gave Mac 12 years of mediocrity, some success and a few major failures before he was asked to step down. I think we can give Gene more than 3 games before we start comparing his failures and successes with other people around the country.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 95.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 310
    Given: 257

Remember - I am the messenger for the following comment.

Most of the why did we questions were concerning the 2 easiest games on the schedule. The games were lost without much visible evidence of change from last year. Dan=Gene on conservative calls like running out the first half while at midfield, etc.

Of course, the improvement came in the defense the third game where Iowa drives did not go very far and Bret did not throw an interception. Eating Herky Crow was great.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Exactly let's stop questioning Chizik or ever considering considering the man for years. Instead let's have some fun and egg on Hawkeye fans in regard to Ferentz. Come on Hawks, this guy is what like 69-64 over 11 years, is 15-15 in the last 30 games and couldn't beat the Cyclones on a regular basis if he even brought back Drewby Tate.

ďAlso, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I donít want to leave any of that behind.Ē - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Addict
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,990
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 95
    Given: 36

Quote Originally Posted by CY ST8T View Post
    Exactly let's stop questioning Chizik or ever considering considering the man for years. Instead let's have some fun and egg on Hawkeye fans in regard to Ferentz. Come on Hawks, this guy is what like 69-64 over 11 years, is 15-15 in the last 30 games and couldn't beat the Cyclones on a regular basis if he even brought back Drewby Tate.
    I'm not saying don't question him. Not at all. I'm just saying that it really isn't fair to jump on him so early in the season. It's not like her took over Florida and then lost to KSU and UNI. He took over a team that struggled to win every game of the 4 they won last year. You have to expect a drop off somewhere during a coaching change and we didn't have far to drop to the bottom. I don't think we'll judge Chizik as an ISU coach on only the first 3 games he ever coached here. So what's the point of already attacking or praising his program 3 games into the season?

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,544
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8

My brother is a CU fan in Denver...he DOESN"T paint a very rosy picture for the Buffalos. They raised their academic standards after all the crap they have had on campus with faculty and football, and can't get players they need in. Apparently every D-1 school can accept a certain number of players that fall below the grade requirements, CU drop that exemption. I don't know that for a fact, but that is the story I get from CU.

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Quote Originally Posted by ISUFan22 View Post
    DesMoinesRegister.com

Those who want to gauge Gene Chizik's progress at Iowa State may be able to draw comparisons with Colorado.

The Buffaloes made a transition last year under new coach Dan Hawkins, much like the Cyclones are undergoing this fall with Chizik.

Colorado had slipped into mediocrity, and unlike Iowa State was bogged down in recent seasons by scandal.

Hawkins, who compiled a 53-11 record in five seasons at Boise State, was among 11 first-year coaches nationally in 2006. Only one of those finished with fewer wins. The Buffs were 2-10. Temple's Al Golden went 1-11.

The average number of wins for the 11 was 5.6.

Both Colorado and Iowa State are working to upgrade facilities, while trying to rebuild a football program in the Big 12 Conference's North Division.

Hawkins brought a reputation for success to Boulder, but his team was still adapting while losing its first six games.

Hawkins shared his thoughts in a blog: "If we're afraid to take risks, if we're afraid of failure, we'll never be all that we can be."

The Buffs opened this season by beating Colorado State 31-28 in overtime.

Chizik led the Cyclones to a win over Iowa in his third week on the job.
    The factual backdrop defining the decline of our and UC football fortunes is so disimilar that comparing what progress each has made, if any, in relation to one another is just mumbo jumbo. We both beat our most important in-state rival, a high value win for our respective struggling programs. What that means beyond that is anyone's guess.