Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 0

Steele Jantz's performance

First off, let me start by saying Steele Jantz is our starting QB and should remain the starting QB. I'm not one of those that always believes the backup is better than the starter.

Jantz has had a big hand in the reason we started this season 3-0, in fact it was his miracle play to Lenz that saved the UNI game. His scrambling probably won us the Iowa game as well.

BUT... he just HAS to improve in the turnover department, both fumbles and INT's, and he HAS to become a lot more accurate. I think he will with time, but right now he's almost costing us as much as he's helping us IMO.

He was playing a good game last night, up until the point he cost us the game with a 14 pt turnaround on his fumble inside Baylor's 10 yd line which was returned for the TD. If he's going to run, which I want him to do, then he has to protect the ball MUCH better. He carries it really loose IMO. And especially down inside the redzone, you just cannot afford to turn the ball over.

And as far as his accuracy goes, he still makes those throws that land about 10 yds from the nearest ISU player. So either he or the WR aren't on the same page or something? And those quick WR screens we love to throw, that usually don't work, he hardly ever hits the WR in stride so he can do something with it. Last night, I remember off the top of my head about 4 or 5 of those WR screens where the ball was so poorly thrown behind them or at their feet, that the play had no chance of working... all because the bad throw threw the entire timing off.

Jantz has some great attributes, and he has won us some games, but he just HAS to cut down on these simple, yet sometimes game deciding mistakes. We have WAY too many 3 and outs to survive in the Big 12. A lot of that has to do with Herman's playcalling too, but some of it is on Jantz too. Every down is crucial. We cannot afford to waste a down with a ball thrown 3 yds behind Jarvis West on a WR bubble screen. The play is dead as soon as that happens.

I know he's not played a lot of football, so I think he will just continue to get better. But if it doesn't happen soon, this will be a lost season IMO. Our schedule is brutal and we cannot afford to play "messy" football.

Addict
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 341
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 369
    Given: 95

Re: Steele Jantz's performance

Relax, he just went up against 2 top 25 teams. He played well enough for them to win last night, the defense had too many penalties that kept drives alive.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 881
    Given: 760

I think he just needs more experience. He's a puppy.

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 279
    Given: 266

I think his mechanics, and as a result his accuracy, have declined as the season has gone on somewhat. One thing I liked about Jantz early on was his pocket presence, he sensed pressure and where to go to get away from it. The last couple weeks he has had happy feet and has been turning toward defenders instead of escaping them. James White going on a tear should help this over the long haul, defenses have to respect him and keep containment on the outside. The OLine simply has to do a better job of maintaining a pocket for SJ to throw out of. If the other team is sending 5-6 guys, someone is open and SJ can get him the ball, if he has time to do it.

Addict
    Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 1,311
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 43

I'm not a big Steele Jantz fan but he's the best we've got and unless something crazy happens he'll be the starter next year too.

It's frustrating watching him make mistakes but he does make plays. He doesn't have much to work with other than Money Reynolds IMO. The receiver spot continues to be a huge weakness for this team for about 4 years in a row now. Pass protection is spotty at best most weeks.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 166
    Given: 38

He'll continue to be erratic.... Brilliant one moment, clueless the next, but he is our best chance to win.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranRecommendation Second Class
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 405
    Given: 198

Quote Originally Posted by Cydkar View Post
    I think he just needs more experience. He's a puppy.
    Agree.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 541
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 79

I do not know the exact # but Jantz has not spent a bunch of time at QB in his life. Yes, he does some bonehead things but you know what, he does some outstanding things as well. He has a VERY high ceiling IMO. I saw some of those flashes of brilliance this season. His throw off of his back foot last night was a pinpoint pass. We just need more of that.

I cannot blame him for the fumble, that was a great play by the defense and looked like something our defensive coaches teach.

Addict
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,196
    Given: 132

I was unaware that this was just his 17th game ever at quarterback, including high school. He's still learning the position, unfortunately. He's going to make some stupid mistakes. On the plus side, he's going to make some brilliant plays, because he'll do things a lot of other quarterbacks wouldn't try, just because he "doesn't know he's not supposed to", if that makes any sense. He'll once in a while do some things that we may question, but I think his upside is just tremendous and I look forward to seeing him develop as a Cyclone.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 283
    Given: 32

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post
    I do not know the exact # but Jantz has not spent a bunch of time at QB in his life. Yes, he does some bonehead things but you know what, he does some outstanding things as well. He has a VERY high ceiling IMO. I saw some of those flashes of brilliance this season. His throw off of his back foot last night was a pinpoint pass. We just need more of that.

I cannot blame him for the fumble, that was a great play by the defense and looked like something our defensive coaches teach.
    The fumble is on Jantz. He HAS to have the ball tucked when he's running. If he has it tucked right, there's no room for a hand to slide in and rip it loose. Had it been helmet to ball that knocked it out I agree.

And his back foot throw was absolutely horrible mechanics wise. You never want to throw it off your back foot.

Addict
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 7

It's his 5th game. The guy will be a stub next year, but he is going to have growing pains.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 27%, Points required for next Level: 1,029
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 111
    Given: 31

I agree that he's not great... but he could be and has shown moments of greatness. If he improves watch out!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 743
    Given: 92

Quote Originally Posted by twojman View Post

And right here is the proof that Jantz is untouchable in the eyes of some on this board. You can't blame him for the fumble? Why the hell not? If you are going to run with the ball it's your responsibility to protect it. It's no different than White or Shontrelle. Fumbling is one of those things,that 99% of the time has no excuse for happening.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490

Quote Originally Posted by isuno1fan View Post
    He'll continue to be erratic.... Brilliant one moment, clueless the next, but he is our best chance to win.
    Yep, this sums it up perfectly.

I just wish he could limit his erratic stuff a bit more... which I'm sure he will over time. He will always make some bad plays because he's always trying to make things happen, but he just needs to limit them more. And we shouldn't run those WR bubble screens if he can't hit the WR on the numbers and in stride. They don't work unless the timing is perfect... and it never is with the erratic throws.

I still enjoy watching Jantz play QB more than any Cyclone since Seneca Wallace though. You just aren't sure what big play he might make on any given play. He is definately very exciting to watch. So you have to take the frustration with the good I guess?

He might win us a game we have no business winning, but on the other hand, he could end up costing us a game too. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 731
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 208

Can't wait to see him next year, sucks he wont have Money though. He does need to improve on his accuracy though. Might just be timing for the most part being new to the system, but he still needs to improve one way or the other. Typically he goes down before getting hit so he doesn't get stripped so its not as bad, but yes he does need to tuck it better.