Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 484
    Given: 0

What in the world is Missouri thinking?

Do they really want to go to the SEC? Really? Do their fans too?

Let's see, would you rather drive to ISU, KU, KSU, OU, OSU, even the Texas schools.... versus driving to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc as a fan?

I just don't get it at all. Is the money that much better in the SEC, or are they concerned that in 6 years they'll be going through all this realignment talk again in the Big 12?

Like A&M, Missouri is going to get destroyed in the SEC. At least now you can possibly pick up wins against ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor, TT, etc. In the SEC, maybe you can beat Vandy if you're lucky. After that, good luck.

Pro
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,266
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Re: What in the world is Missouri thinking?

I haven't heard from one fan that it's a good thing. I actually heard from 1 guys saying he wouldn't support them (however he's a bandwagon fan).

Recruit
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 199
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Better stability. More money. Better destination cities. Roughly same competition. Not sure why they wouldn't.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 93.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2,162
    Given: 130

The SEC isn't much different in competition from the Big XII. The reason Mizzou would get spanked there is the style of play. How they play in the Big XII is conducive to the conference style. Pinkel would have to change up his style if he wanted to compete in the SEC.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 513
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 194
    Given: 341

Not to mention screwing over Kansas City. Going to cost that city alot of money if they go to the SEC.

Pro
    Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,046
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 327
    Given: 410

Quote Originally Posted by AllN4Cy View Post
    Better stability. More money. Better destination cities. Roughly same competition. Not sure why they wouldn't.
    Better Stability? Big 12 just agreed to six years rights agreement and Will likely extend when ESPN deal renews. Missouri is the one who is unstable. Big 12 will be more stable than SEC if Missouri goes there for the simple fact that Missouri will be in the SEC.

More Money? Big 12 is expected to have around $30 million per school when the ESPN contract renews. That is just Tier I and II. SEC is under $20, but all games are Tier I and II now for FB and MBB. Does 2 more teams allow enough content to make up $10m? Does ESPN and CBS renegotiate although they don't have to? Plus Mizzou would have to pony up the exit fee.

Better destination cities? Maybe better, but farther away and more expensive for fans and non-revenue sports (see More Money?)

Roughly same competition? SEC historically has 6-7 top 25 teams a year and has been the top conference for a decade. Big 12 is good, but this is an up year for Big 12 and normal for SEC and SEC is only slightly behind in power rankings. They would have a grind week end and week out.

Not sure why they WOULD.

Last edited by HoopsTournament; 10-08-2011 at 10:59 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

Let's see, would you rather drive to ISU, KU, KSU, OU, OSU, even the Texas schools.... versus driving to Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, etc as a fan?

I just don't get it at all. Is the money that much better in the SEC, or are they concerned that in 6 years they'll be going through all this realignment talk again in the Big 12?

Like A&M, Missouri is going to get destroyed in the SEC. At least now you can possibly pick up wins against ISU, KU, KSU, Baylor, TT, etc. In the SEC, maybe you can beat Vandy if you're lucky. After that, good luck.
    Uhhh, they don't travel now. This isn't an issue. They will continue to watch the road games on TV.

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Missouri is like a man who is not thinking with his brain when he sees a hot woman. All they can think about is the sexiness and glamour of the SEC, but after the honeymoon is over, the SEC is going to be a *****.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 49
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 48
    Given: 653

My advice to coach pinkel is really quite simple....Start Now Looking for a NEW JOB because when you start winning one or two games a year in the sec....

U-Bee a Goner.......

Goodbye Mizzou and Goodriddance your gonna get yours in the SEC

Legend
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 929
    Given: 1,671

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post

Think St. Louis. Kentucky, Vandy, Mississippi, and Tennessee are all fairly close. Mississippi St is not much further. Fayetteville is really close to Missouri. If you're going to one away game a year, where would you rather go -- Fayetteville/Knoxville/Nashville or Lawrence/Ames? They could still maintain rivalries with Illinois and Kansas, although they may not want to play them both in football every year with that schedule.

It would suck for the KC area. Big time.

Last edited by Doc; 10-08-2011 at 12:02 PM.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Think St. Louis. Kentucky, Vandy, Mississippi, and Tennessee are all fairly close. Mississippi St is not much further. Fayetteville is really close to Missouri. If you're going to one away game a year, where would you rather go -- Fayetteville/Knoxville/Nashville or Lawrence/Ames? They could still maintain rivalries with Illinois and Kansas, although they may not want to play them both in football every year with that schedule.

It would suck for the KC area. Big time.
    Ames, but I am biased.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 149

Not sure how Starkville/Oxford/Gainesville/Auburn/Tuscaloosa/Fayetteville are all that different than Ames/Lawerence/Manhattan/Stillwater/Norman.

Lubbock and Waco suck, but the rest of the Big 12 is mostly charming college towns, exactly like the SEC. You have a few larger cities (Nashville/Baton Rouge, Austin/Ft. Worth) in each conference, but they are mistly small to midsized college towns.

Not seeing much difference. Plus, the South is generally much more run down and economically depressed than the midwest.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Starter
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post
    Not sure how Starkville/Oxford/Gainesville/Auburn/Tuscaloosa/Fayetteville are all that different than Ames/Lawerence/Manhattan/Stillwater/Norman.

Lubbock and Waco suck, but the rest of the Big 12 is mostly charming college towns, exactly like the SEC. You have a few larger cities (Nashville/Baton Rouge, Austin/Ft. Worth) in each conference, but they are mistly small to midsized college towns.

Not seeing much difference. Plus, the South is generally much more run down and economically depressed than the midwest.
    You know, I spent a few years growing up near Ames (Boone). I know Ames well. Ames is a friend of mine.

Senator, NONE of these towns are like Ames.

Have you ever WATCHED College Football Gameday? Or visited any of these places for a game? It's like a festival...even when they're NOT good! Check out the Grove in Oxford, or the area around the Swamp in Gainsville. All of these place make Melrose Ave. in IC seem like church.

I get it...you don't want Mizzou to leave. You think they're gonna get killed in the SEC. You've gone so far as to Photoshop it. That's cool...there's decent arguments for that.

But to argue that SEC and Big 12 road game destinations are equal is "cats-and-dogs-living-together" insanity. C'mon...that's not even a good reason to leave a conference.

Next, you're going to tell me that Mizzou is leaving the Big 12 because they're scared of the new competition being brought in!

Speechless
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 533
    Given: 149

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzoulander View Post
    You know, I spent a few years growing up near Ames (Boone). I know Ames well. Ames is a friend of mine.

Have you ever WATCHED College Football Gameday? Or visited any of these places for a game? It's like a festival...even when they're NOT good! Check out the Grove in Oxford, or the area around the Swamp in Gainsville. All of these place make Melrose Ave. in IC seem like church.

I get it...you don't want Mizzou to leave. You think they're gonna get killed in the SEC. You've gone so far as to Photoshop it. That's cool...there's decent arguments for that.

But to argue that SEC and Big 12 road game destinations are equal is "cats-and-dogs-living-together" insanity. C'mon...that's not even a good reason to leave a conference.

Next, you're going to tell me that Mizzou is leaving the Big 12 because they're scared of the new competition being brought in!
    You should have been in Ames a week ago today. THAT was a festival.

You are saying is that their fans are more hardcore. That's it.

These towns are still typical college towns, not some kind of paradise. You are suffering from hardcore "grass-is-greener" syndrome. You've bought into the ESPN hype. Congrats. You will find that about half the SEC isn't any more "big time" than the Big 12 was, and if you say otherwise, you're just tricking yourself into believing it.

If Mizzou leaves the Big 12, it will be due to pressure from a fan base that has bought into the idea that being part of the most prestigious conference in the country and losing is better than being in another major conference and winning.

Mizzou going to the SEC is the equivalent of someone in Minneapolis moving to NYC for a job that pays the same, just so they can tell people they're from NYC. They will actually be holding their own upward mobility back, but they can point to something they are technically a part of to validate themselves.

Last edited by Al_4_State; 10-08-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Mizzoulander View Post

I get it. You have a hard-on for the SEC, but it is completely an emotional move. When you take the emotion out of it and start looking at it rationally, it doesn't make sense. I am not saying that there aren't pros, but there are more cons than pros. If Mizzou goes, Mizzou fans will be regretting it in 5-10 years.