Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    All-Star
    Points: 26,913, Level: 50
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 637
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,882
    Points
    26,913
    Level
    50
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

    Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Sounds like we'd better plan on winning all but 1 or 2 in the non-conference and going at least 10-8 in conference to go dancing. Minimum of 22 overall wins to dance?

    Nonconference schedule analysis: Big 12 - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

    IOWA STATE

    Toughest: at Michigan (Dec. 3)
    Next-toughest: Northern Iowa (Nov. 30), Iowa (Dec. 9)
    The rest: Lehigh (Nov. 12), at Drake (Nov. 15), Western Carolina (Nov. 20), Northern Colorado (Nov. 22), vs. Providence at South Padre Island, Texas (Nov. 25), vs. Rice at South Padre Island, Texas (Nov. 26), Prairie View A&M (Dec. 6), Central Michigan (Dec. 18), Lipscomb (Dec. 21)
    Toughness scale (1-10): 2 -- Iím a little disappointed in this schedule for a Cyclones team that should be a sleeper in the Big 12. The road game at Michigan is by far the toughest. Iowa State doesnít have a lot of room to work with in terms of an at-large bid. There are in-state games against Iowa, Northern Iowa and Drake, but the Cyclones could have worked harder for another marquee game or a better tourney field. ISU will have to do extremely well in the Big 12 to warrant a bid with this schedule.



  2. #2
    Pro
    Points: 41,830, Level: 63
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,120
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience PointsYour first Group

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    2,219
    Points
    41,830
    Level
    63
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 53
    Given: 50

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    I can't disagree with him



  3. #3
    Pro
    Points: 72,425, Level: 83
    Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 725
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    SvrWxCy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,851
    Points
    72,425
    Level
    83
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop


  4. #4
    Pro
    Points: 38,744, Level: 60
    Level completed: 75%, Points required for next Level: 306
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Cyhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Des Moines
    Posts
    2,707
    Points
    38,744
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 27
    Given: 4

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Still, isnt the Big 12 itself a tough enough league to send the top 6 finishers?
    I think we finish in that range for sure.


    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion man"

  5. #5
    Legend
    Points: 263,000, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Cyclonestate78's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,433
    Points
    263,000
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 168
    Given: 559

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyhart View Post
    Still, isnt the Big 12 itself a tough enough league to send the top 6 finishers?
    I think we finish in that range for sure.
    Our non-con RPI rating will make Virginia Tech's non-con schedule look tough.



  6. #6
    All-Star
    Points: 21,829, Level: 45
    Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 721
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    cyclone87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Ames, IA
    Posts
    1,466
    Points
    21,829
    Level
    45
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16
    Given: 16

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Just think of how much weaker it would have been had Hoiberg not gotten that Michigan game added to it. Love how people were complaining about it back then.



  7. #7
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 38,727, Level: 60
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 323
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    WDM
    Posts
    4,059
    Points
    38,727
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 9
    Given: 6

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    agree with Katz, not sure what we were thinking, but next year lets get ourselves in tourneys that dont give us games against Rice



  8. #8
    Pro
    Points: 38,425, Level: 60
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 625
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,036
    Points
    38,425
    Level
    60
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 0

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    Sounds like we'd better plan on winning all but 1 or 2 in the non-conference and going at least 10-8 in conference to go dancing. Minimum of 22 overall wins to dance?

    Nonconference schedule analysis: Big 12 - College Basketball Nation Blog - ESPN

    IOWA STATE

    Toughest: at Michigan (Dec. 3)
    Next-toughest: Northern Iowa (Nov. 30), Iowa (Dec. 9)
    The rest: Lehigh (Nov. 12), at Drake (Nov. 15), Western Carolina (Nov. 20), Northern Colorado (Nov. 22), vs. Providence at South Padre Island, Texas (Nov. 25), vs. Rice at South Padre Island, Texas (Nov. 26), Prairie View A&M (Dec. 6), Central Michigan (Dec. 18), Lipscomb (Dec. 21)
    Toughness scale (1-10): 2 -- Iím a little disappointed in this schedule for a Cyclones team that should be a sleeper in the Big 12. The road game at Michigan is by far the toughest. Iowa State doesnít have a lot of room to work with in terms of an at-large bid. There are in-state games against Iowa, Northern Iowa and Drake, but the Cyclones could have worked harder for another marquee game or a better tourney field. ISU will have to do extremely well in the Big 12 to warrant a bid with this schedule.

    So what else is new . . who cares what Katz thinks. Just win.



  9. #9
    Legend
    Points: 385,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,593
    Points
    385,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 283

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    For a program that is rebuilding and working on improving its image, this is a good schedule. We can make it tougher when we are ready. If we knock off the big boys in the B12, everyone will forget about the non conf sos.



  10. #10
    Speechless
    Points: 857,288, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    CycloneErik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jamerica
    Posts
    55,077
    Points
    857,288
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,298
    Given: 1,129

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Quote Originally Posted by bos View Post
    For a program that is rebuilding and working on improving its image, this is a good schedule. We can make it tougher when we are ready. If we knock off the big boys in the B12, everyone will forget about the non conf sos.
    Thing is, if the program itself has any NCAA aspirations this year, the point is that this schedule doesn't help that at all.

    Without a winning conference record, we probably don't make it. I believe we can have that winning conference record, even believe that we will, but it doesn't take much to say that this schedule is very disappointing.

    The only thing that keeps me from really letting my hopes run wild is the lack of confidence that this non-con schedule expresses.


    Since we are an elite team now, let's go get that One Cyclone Moment.
    Make this one for the ages!




    http://rememberingdoria.wordpress.com/

  11. #11
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 75,537, Level: 85
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 1,013
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Gunnerclone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Beaverdale hood
    Posts
    3,598
    Points
    75,537
    Level
    85
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 318
    Given: 165

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Katz's flop is a non-con.



  12. #12
    Legend
    Points: 385,722, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    bos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    23,593
    Points
    385,722
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 411
    Given: 283

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Quote Originally Posted by CycloneErik View Post
    Thing is, if the program itself has any NCAA aspirations this year, the point is that this schedule doesn't help that at all.

    Without a winning conference record, we probably don't make it. I believe we can have that winning conference record, even believe that we will, but it doesn't take much to say that this schedule is very disappointing.

    The only thing that keeps me from really letting my hopes run wild is the lack of confidence that this non-con schedule expresses.

    No worries little buddy. We will singing their praises come tourney time.



  13. #13
    Hall-Of-Famer
    Points: 41,161, Level: 62
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 489
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    HandSanitizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Bondurant, IA
    Posts
    3,585
    Points
    41,161
    Level
    62
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 0

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Not a big deal....I think we will be fine. We have to play Baylor, Texas, KU, Mizzou, A&M and OSU 2 times. That will be more than enough.

    Its not our fault Drake, UNI and Iowa will suck this year. Normally those would be 3 very tough games.



  14. #14
    Legend
    Points: 285,585, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocial1 year registeredOverdriveCreated Album pictures
    IHavNoCyCash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    13,096
    Points
    285,585
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 199
    Given: 311

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Don't understand how this is bad...our program in the past 5 years has been ****...just being honest...I'm sure Hoiberg likes the schedule as we can get all the guys together and use to one another before conference starts...I'd be really concerned if this schedule had 5 top 25 teams in non-conference on it....We should blow out 8-9 of the teams on our non-conference besides Michigan, UNI, Iowa, and Providence...and probably another team like Central Michigan which we'll overlook



  15. #15
    Legend
    Points: 160,389, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    HFCS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    10,524
    Points
    160,389
    Level
    100
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 426

    Re: Katz says non-conf schedule a flop

    Every Big 12 team is going to play the toughest conference schedule in the nation this season.

    North teams...
    Lose two easy wins against one of the worst basketball programs in world history. Lose two games against Colorado.
    Add an extra game against Texas, OK State, A&M Baylor, OU,and TTech.

    That's about a +4 swing in games against ranked teams.

    South teams...
    Lose one easy win against one of the worst basketball programs of all time. Lose one game against Colorado.
    Add an extra game against Kansas, Kansas State, Missouri, Iowa State.

    That could be a +2 to +4 swing in games against ranked teams.

    Do most teams drop 2-4 easy wins and replace them with 4 ranked teams their schedule at the last minute? The entire Big 12 did.



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
  • Football
  • Iowa State vs. North Dakota State
  • August 30, 2014
  • 11:00 AM