Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 65

Big East death? Not so fast...

Ok well these are only my thoughts so be gentle.

First off I thought for sure that going to larger conferences would be the death of small-intermediate schools like us. Or I guess with not as large of budgets. That would be the start of the downfall of college fb's popularity I believe.

However...I don't believe the Big East will go under. Look at schools like ECU, Central Florida, Houston etc. There are a number of schools out there that are just as deserving as some of the others for a spot at the "big boy" or AQ conferences.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. IF the Big East is able to keep its AQ status, AND stays alive by adding those teams mentioned above (maybe not houston but hey if they were gonna take TCU) this means there are now MORE college teams in the AQ conferences, not less and certainly not limited just 4 big conferences.

I have always had a problem with there not being a true championship game but I don't really want a playoff either. I love the bowls...they just need to pit the 1vs4 and 2vs3 in two of the BCS games and then have an "and 1" type championship between those winners. Because honestly if you're not in the top 4... you probably don't deserve a shot right?

Anywho...just my thoughts that the BigEast is probably not dead and can survive by adding some pretty decent schools which will only add to the number of schools able to get an invite.

Thoughts?

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 17

Re: Big East death? Not so fast...

Keeping their AQ status is a HUGE question mark.

Pro
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 67
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Boxerdaddy View Post
    Ok well these are only my thoughts so be gentle.

First off I thought for sure that going to larger conferences would be the death of small-intermediate schools like us. Or I guess with not as large of budgets. That would be the start of the downfall of college fb's popularity I believe.

However...I don't believe the Big East will go under. Look at schools like ECU, Central Florida, Houston etc. There are a number of schools out there that are just as deserving as some of the others for a spot at the "big boy" or AQ conferences.

In my opinion, this is a good thing. IF the Big East is able to keep its AQ status, AND stays alive by adding those teams mentioned above (maybe not houston but hey if they were gonna take TCU) this means there are now MORE college teams in the AQ conferences, not less and certainly not limited just 4 big conferences.

I have always had a problem with there not being a true championship game but I don't really want a playoff either. I love the bowls...they just need to pit the 1vs4 and 2vs3 in two of the BCS games and then have an "and 1" type championship between those winners. Because honestly if you're not in the top 4... you probably don't deserve a shot right?

Anywho...just my thoughts that the BigEast is probably not dead and can survive by adding some pretty decent schools which will only add to the number of schools able to get an invite.

Thoughts?
    Strangely...reading that made me want to play the beta for Battlefield 3. I have no idea why.

Other than that, I don't want a playoff either. Interesting thought about the "and 1" championship game. I suspect team who have to play a conference championship as well would be very much opposed to that model though.

--Luck of the Cyrish--

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by IcSyU View Post
    Yes it is, but they will have it for I think 2 years at least. Look at Houston...40k students.. Boise has 20k...Central Florida 56k, ECU has 28k. Granted they are not known for their academics, but with those kind of numbers, they have huge growth potential and have in the past at least had some really good fb teams, even with limited budget. I agree KEEPING their AQ will be difficult but not as difficult as gaining an AQ in my opinion. Lot of fallout if they remove that status.

Quote Originally Posted by mike4cy View Post
    Strangely...reading that made me want to play the beta for Battlefield 3. I have no idea why.

Other than that, I don't want a playoff either. Interesting thought about the "and 1" championship game. I suspect team who have to play a conference championship as well would be very much opposed to that model though.

Hmmm..i did post in the BF3 beta thread...who knows.

And I agree may not be ideal.. but you know what I should just create my own bowl and invite those teams. I'm going to need someone to foot the bill...who is volunteering? Any have Mark Cuban's cell #?

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 314
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 16

The Big East having AQ status was questionable before. They would not deserve it anymore even if they grab several schools.

I think the Big 12 has a great chance to pillage schools from the Big East (and that includes the possibility of ND for Olympic sports).

Speechless
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 124
    Given: 17

The Big East is up for automatic review and isn't going to retain their BCS bid. Does the BCS want some craptastic Big East school in a BCS game or a third SEC school? No brainer.

Walk On
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 217
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

AQ status is not near as big a deal as what a major network is willing to pay for TV rights. If it all blows up and ISU remains in a AQ conference where the marquee teams are Baylor, ISU, and K State our TV money, attendance, and donations would plummet.

Eventually the Cotton Bowl will be a BCS bowl meaning there will be 6 BCS bowls. Just like making a bowl used to mean something, then playing after New Years meant something, playing in a BCS bowl will also be watered down.

The haves will placate the have nots every year by throwing a BCS berth to the best have not team.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by LostinIowaCity View Post
    The Big East having AQ status was questionable before. They would not deserve it anymore even if they grab several schools.

I think the Big 12 has a great chance to pillage schools from the Big East (and that includes the possibility of ND for Olympic sports).
    What is everyone's benchmark for "deserving" of an AQ?

In the past Louisville, Cinci, West Virginia, Rutgers, Pitt, Syracuse (been awhile) have been top 10 teams. Last year was a down year for them no doubt but you can't judge it on one year. The PAC would have been dropped a few years ago otherwise lol.

My only point is they have had some very good fb teams in that conference. Giving "credibility" and the more money (hopefullly with a new tv contract) to more teams lets them raise their programs as well.

I'm not disagreeing just trying to figure out what the judging qualities of an AQ should be.

Addict
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 184
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 109
    Given: 36

Tell me this, is this conference worthy of AQ status?

WVU
    Cincy
    UCONN
    Rutgers
    USF
    UCF
    ECU
    Houston
    SMU
    Memphis

I would honestly say no. And if any more teams get poached (UCONN and Rutgers to the ACC) then I'd say hell no.

Pro
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Frak View Post
    Tell me this, is this conference worthy of AQ status?

WVU
    Cincy
    UCONN
    Rutgers
    USF
    UCF
    ECU
    Houston
    SMU
    Memphis

I would honestly say no. And if any more teams get poached (UCONN and Rutgers to the ACC) then I'd say hell no.
    Would Boise? I mean seriously what should the benchmark be? Sure they won't have any national title contenders but I can see a few of those being top25 teams. Every so often a top 5. Boise would add a little bit (currently) of legitimacy. I understand what you're saying...there are no perennial powerhouses there. Is that a qualifier? What is that definition. Anywho just pondering.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 46

The Big East is up for automatic review and isn't going to retain their BCS bid. Does the BCS want some craptastic Big East school in a BCS game or a third SEC school? No brainer.
    Not so fast my friend - the Mountain West is also in the hunt for a BCS-bid. Losing BYU (Independent), TCU (Big East/Big 12), and Utah (PAC-12) hurts, but they gained Boise State, and will also gain Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii (football only) beginning in 2012. They could be the dark-horse contender to snub the SEC out of a third bowl team.

Mountain West making strides toward automatic BCS bid - ESPN

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- The Mountain West Conference has performed so well the past two seasons that it could receive an automatic bid to the BCS in the 2012 and '13 seasons.
    Mountain West Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

ESPN created the Bowl Challenge Cup in 2002 for the conference that had the best college football bowl record among Division I Football Bowl Subdivision conferences. The conference has won it four times, more than any other. They finished 4-1 in bowl games in 2011, the best record out of all conferences.[10]

All-Star
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 516
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

Quote Originally Posted by 3GenClone View Post
    Not so fast my friend - the Mountain West is also in the hunt for a BCS-bid. Losing BYU (Independent), TCU (Big East/Big 12), and Utah (PAC-12) hurts, but they gained Boise State, and will also gain Nevada, Fresno State and Hawaii (football only) beginning in 2012. They could be the dark-horse contender to snub the SEC out of a third bowl team.

Mountain West making strides toward automatic BCS bid - ESPN

Mountain West Conference - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That first ESPN article you cited from is April 2010. Do Boise/Nevada/Fresno/Hawaii compensate for TCU/BYU/Utah? No. Their only chance at a BCS bid now is a merger with C-USA.

It looked like a decent chance at a BCS bid before losing their big 3, but they can't earn AQ status on their own now.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 188

Quote Originally Posted by cyclone83 View Post
    AQ status is not near as big a deal as what a major network is willing to pay for TV rights. If it all blows up and ISU remains in a AQ conference where the marquee teams are Baylor, ISU, and K State our TV money, attendance, and donations would plummet.

Eventually the Cotton Bowl will be a BCS bowl meaning there will be 6 BCS bowls. Just like making a bowl used to mean something, then playing after New Years meant something, playing in a BCS bowl will also be watered down.

The haves will placate the have nots every year by throwing a BCS berth to the best have not team.
    Exactly, adding the 5th BCS game opened up a spot for any non AQ school that earns it to get in. Add to that the fact that even the small conferences like the WAC, MAC and SB now have multiple bowl spots and AQ status doesn't mean nearly as much as it did.

Pro
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 50
    Given: 46

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post
    That first ESPN article you cited from is April 2010. Do Boise/Nevada/Fresno/Hawaii compensate for TCU/BYU/Utah? No. Their only chance at a BCS bid now is a merger with C-USA.

It looked like a decent chance at a BCS bid before losing their big 3, but they can't earn AQ status on their own now.
    The exact same argument was made about the Big East after Boston College, Miami and Virginia Tech left for the ACC...

I don't think the Mountain West can be overlooked in this scenario.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,088
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 188

Quote Originally Posted by cyman05 View Post

Had they been able to just keep 2 out of those 3, I think they would have gotten a bid but their moves just weren't strong enough...yet. Like you said, bringing in the "Texas" CUSA schools would be a decent move, but the biggest thing is who will be their other contenders for a BCS bid. We know Boise is capable but really who else is? Previous years they had 2 teams (TCU, Utah) who could potentially threaten for a spot every year, along with a BYU team that was consistently rated and beating AQ schools. I just dont see that 2nd or 3rd program yet.