Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 605

Cool Busted Again Replay

Mandatory link: The Messenger - Fort Dodge, Iowa

Cyclones enjoy win most didn't see coming
    By ERIC PRATT - Sports Editor

AMES — Who knew?

A game that was supposed to be one of the worst in the recent series memory between Iowa and Iowa State wound up among the best. A much-maligned kicker earned the kind of redemption that will forever change his legacy in Cyclone Country. A 2-0 team discovered its start had been dipped in fool’s gold, while an 0-2 team found its pulse instead of flat-lining the way it had at home in the season’s first two weeks.

The inaugural victory of the Gene Chizik era won’t soon be forgotten. For the fourth time in the last five meetings at Jack Trice Stadium and the seventh in the last 10 overall, ISU painted the ‘Hawkeye’ state Cardinal and Gold.

Iowa began Saturday with an undefeated swagger, favored by 17 points to defeat its arch-rival. It left Ames battered, bruised and limping back to the drawing board, as the Cyclones found their soul by landing another emotional upset against head coach Kirk Ferentz’s squad.

‘‘We’ve got a lot of people in the locker room still crying,’’ said ISU receiver R.J. Sumrall, who caught a game-high seven passes. ‘‘We were fired up all week, and we knew a lot was at stake. This was something we needed more than I can explain.’’

Chizik accepted responsibility for zombie-like performances against Kent State and Northern Iowa, saying ‘‘it was on the coaches, not the players.’’ The worm definitely turned for the Cyclones on a gorgeous September afternoon in front of 49,516 yesterday.

‘‘(Having almost everyone picking the Hawks) comes with the territory when you’re 0-2,’’ Chizik admitted. ‘‘We made our bed with that start. We were a big underdog (Saturday) because of our own mistakes; it’s understandable that very few people were giving us a chance based on what they’d seen so far.

‘‘This win was for the Iowa State players and fans. They stuck together. This is a phenomenal college football rivalry; there is a lot of passion in this state, and a lot of passion for this program.’’

No one was more relieved than senior hero Bret Culbertson, who gave a born-again performance laced with symmetry and poetic justice. It was Culbertson who missed field goals that could have won Big 12 North championships in 2004 and ’05. It was Culbertson who missed all three field goal attempts and an extra point to boot against the Golden Flashes and Panthers.

And yet, it was Culbertson knocking down three-pointers like he had ‘Hoiberg’ stitched across the back of his jersey against the Hawks. Instead of being thrown under the bus, Culbertson was in the driver’s seat and doing a victory lap.

Five field goals, including the game-winner from 28 yards out with one second remaining. Iowa State relying on its kicking game? What’s next, the Cubs in the World Series?

‘‘I’m really proud of Brett,’’ Chizik said. ‘‘You talk about a kid who’s been through the ups and downs. He could’ve tanked it and given up a long time ago, but he stuck with it. He deserved this.’’

And so did the Cyclones on this given Saturday. As a purported underdog, they out-hustled, out-executed and simply out-played Iowa. Again. Not a new revelation in the grand scheme of the series, but where were the indicators that ISU would play this well yesterday, or the Hawks this listless?

That’s the beauty of college football today. Who knew? More like who ever knows? The Cyclones expected the unexpected, and turned their season around in the process.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 56.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 874
    Given: 605

Re: Busted Again Replay

What Gene had to say:
    Scout.com: Gene Chizik Presser Transcript

Q: How about the game ball? Did the kids present you with the game ball?
    Chizik: Well, my boss presented me with the game ball. You know, I wish I could split that ball into 110. It really belongs to them. I didn’t play

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

I really think that there was a huge improvement from the coaching staff this week. Way to go!

Mariner Moose
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,381
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 185
    Given: 588

The coaches definitely made some changes that worked. I seriously believe that "Captain" Kirk got severely outcoached, and that his coordinators got exposed, once again.

Starter
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 744
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 18
    Given: 50

The Fort Dodge Messenger? Huh... nice read.

Facebook Knows All
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 669
    Given: 388

Quote Originally Posted by cycloneinmonaco View Post
    I really think that there was a huge improvement from the coaching staff this week. Way to go!
    I'd add in a huge improvement from the players as well. Mental mistakes were much more limited than the 1st 2 weeks.

Rookie
    Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 212
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Quote Originally Posted by mfelske View Post
    The Fort Dodge Messenger? Huh... nice read.
    Yea. The Messenger usually does a good job of covering ISU athletics. It helps when there are FD and FD area kids that go down and play. Its always nice to have even coverage in a newspaper.