Given: 265

Bring on More Bates

Mandatory link from better than the Rag:

Omaha.com Sports Section

Published Tuesday | September 18, 2007
    ISU Football: ISU plans for more use out of Bates
    BY STEVEN PIVOVAR
    WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

Gene Chizik will continue to look for ways to get Phillip Bates involved in Iowa State's offense.

Iowa State's Phillip Bates has shown he can play multiple positions. "I'll play quarterback or wherever they think they need me," he said.

The freshman quarterback from Omaha North turned in the play of the game in the Cyclones' 15-13 upset of Iowa when he came up with a 38-yard reception from quarterback Bret Meyer. Bates' catch set up Bret Culbertson's game-winning 28-yard field goal with one second to play.

"We're going to work Phillip more and more into the offense," Chizik said. "He obviously is a young guy and this is all new to him. But he's a playmaker. He's one of the few guys that we're not going to redshirt, and you gathered why on Saturday.

"He made a great play, and we'd like to work him in more because we feel he has a great future here."

Bates has played a few snaps, mostly at wide receiver, in each of Iowa State's first three games. He has rushed twice, for a minus-8 yards, in addition to making the game-saving catch against the Hawkeyes.

"We think he could do a lot of different things to help this team win," Chizik said. "That could be at quarterback, it could be at wideout, it could be at a lot of different places, including kick returner. We're investigating a lot of things, and we really want to get him on the field.

"We also don't want to overload him with too much stuff where he's thinking too much and taking away from him just being an athlete. You don't want to take that away from him."

Bates is open to whatever the coaches decide for him.

"I'll do whatever they need me to do," Bates said. "I'll play quarterback or wherever they think they need me. Whatever they think I can do to help, I'll do it."

Bates' catch came minutes after Iowa had taken its first lead of the game on Austin Signor's 41-yard field goal. The Cyclones responded by moving into position for Culbertson long a goat with Iowa State fans for key misses early in his career to kick his fifth field goal of the game to present Chizik with his first victory at Iowa State.

The Cyclones had opened the season with losses to Kent State and Northern Iowa. They were able to come back to beat the Hawkeyes, Chizik said, because they have not strayed from what the new staff has been trying to get across from day one.

"We've tried to emphasize that if you can continue to improve that you have a chance to win," Chizik said at his Monday press conference. "But you can keep preaching it and teaching it and talking it, but at some point, you have to start seeing results. And what a better time to see it than on Saturday."

The Cyclones were able to post the victory by taking better care of the football they had one turnover compared to three each in their first two games and showing a much more physical style of play on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

"We're trying to play more physical as the year goes on," Chizik said. "In the first two games, it wasn't like we weren't playing physical, but it wasn't as physical as I thought we needed to be to win. Especially on the defensive side of the ball. Saturday, we were more physical on defense than we were in the first two games."

Chizik said the Iowa State offensive line also is showing signs of improvement. The Cyclones lost four senior starters off a line that gave up 38 sacks in 2006 to rank last in the Big 12. This season, Iowa State has allowed two sacks in three games.

Iowa, with four returning starters on its defensive line, did not get a sack against the Cyclones.

"I was really, really proud of my guys," Chizik said.

Part of the improvement, Chizik said, is Meyer's awareness to stay away from negative plays.

"He knows it's important to throw the ball away or struggle and get some kind of positive yardage," Chizik said. "Second-and-nine is way better than second-and-16. If we continue to buy into that and understand that it does make a difference, then we'll get better every week.

"I thought we got better as a team on Saturday because we did not turn the ball over and we tried to play more physical. Those are two things that can carry you a long way."

The Cyclones must continue to get better, as they begin a demanding stretch that will see them play their next three games on the road. They'll travel to Toledo on Saturday before finishing the month with a trip to Lincoln for a Sept. 29 game against Nebraska. Iowa State also plays at Texas Tech on Oct. 6 before returning home for back-to-back games against Big 12 South powers Oklahoma and Texas.

Asked how he expects his team to respond to its first win, Chizik chuckled.

"I don't know," he said, "because I haven't coached them after a win. This is a new experience for me. I just hope my guys understand that we have certainly not arrived just by winning one game. We have so much improvement to make in so many places.

"We could practice eight hours a day and I don't know if that would be enough to cover all the things we need to get better at. If we can take the things that we improved at on Saturday and continue to improve the rest of the year, it gives us a chance to win."

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 96
    Given: 256

Re: Bring on More Bates

Im waiting for the end around where he steps back and hits Blythe deep or Meyer running around the opposite end.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 73
    Given: 152

Quote Originally Posted by ajk4st8 View Post
    Im waiting for the end around where he steps back and hits Blythe deep or Meyer running around the opposite end.
    I am as well.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 332
    Given: 265

That will be the Nebraska game. Their linebackers are not very well coordinated as evidenced by the MACK truck holes.

CFH HMagic bball season next year.
    Let my Fred's Four Horsemen ride: Georges, Hogue, Nader, and McKay.