Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 796
    Given: 526

Big GAME Saturday

It doesn't get easier for ISU

September morn, on the 17th, has got to make Iowa State fans feel that one best way in sports -- euphoric.

I guess we now know which school the Cyclones are going to put a beat down on this football season.

After stunning an Iowa team that still hasn't given up a touchdown in three games, 15-13, Saturday in Ames, the Cyclones face three straight road games, beginning Saturday at Toledo.

That contest is certainly winnable, too, but you'd struggle to regard the Cyclones a favorite against Nebraska, Texas Tech, Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Kansas State, Colorado and Kansas.

Few, of course, gave Iowa State a snowball's chance against Iowa.

Breakfast of potential champions.

Northern Iowa can can claim the state's official ''major'' college football championship with a win Saturday at unbeaten 3-0 Drake. The 3-0 Panthers rang up 514 yards of total offense in a 31-17 conquest of South Dakota State Saturday night in Brookings.

In that game, SDSU's designated 12th annual Cereal Bowl, Jackrabbit defensive back Brock Campbell was one of the busiest tacklers on the field.

In front of a crowd of 10,844 at Coughlin-Alumni Stadium, the graduate of Cherokee High School made 11 total tackles, five of them solo stops.

Another SDSU starter, senior linebacker Andrew Hoogveen, a graduate of Sioux Center High School, made three tackles.

On the UNI side, Division I-AA All-America defensive end candidate Mark Hugyens was credited with two tackles. The junior from Sergeant Bluff had one of those tackles for a 4-yard loss.

UNI has also beaten Iowa State and Division II Minnesota State Mankato.

UNI and Drake are I-AA (Football Championship Subdivision) progams and Iowa and ISU are I-A (Football Bowl Subdivision) so, since UNI beat ISU and ISU beat Iowa, a win by the Panthers over Drake would make them the state champions.

SDSU (0-3) will join UNI in the Gateway Conference next year.

Time for the Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union to introduce field hockey as an interscholastic sport? Nah, but a feeder system from Iowa high schools might buttress the University of Iowa program.

Interesting to note that Iowa has had women's intercollegiate field hockey since 1977, but only two Iowa preps since 1979 have lettered for the Hawkeyes.

Susan Brooks of Cedar Rapids lettered in 1986-87 and Leticia Rodriguez of Iowa City in 1979-82.

The other monogram winners from the Hawkeye State form an exclusive sorority that includes Mitra Massih (Council Bluffs, 1977-79), Michelle Milang (Des Moines, 1977-78), Kathy Nolan (Davenport, 1977-79), Karen Smith (Waterloo, 1977-78), Susan Smith (Davenport, 1977-79) and Karen Zamora (Grimes, 1978-79).

There are no Iowans on the 2007 Iowa roster.

Interesting, too, that Iowa high school girls soccer isn't exactly a feeder program for Division I programs in the state. There are just three Iowans listed on Iowa's 29-player roster, four on Drake's 26-player roster and five of 24 Iowa State players are Iowans.

Northern Iowa leads the way with eight Iowans on its 24-player roster.

Big Game? Maybe not.

Iowa and Iowa State in Ames drew 49,516 Saturday. That's the lowest crowd total since the series was resumed in 1977. The previous low was 47,714 in 1995.

The largest Iowa State crowd in history, 56,795, watched UNI rock the Cyclones 24-13 two weeks ago in Jack Trice Stadium.

Personally, I liked the throwback uniforms Iowa State wore Saturday. They're sharper than their usual ones (too much red, or, cardinal).

And, the 1977 Peach Bowl duds (white jerseys with gold and cardinal piping around the shoulders, gold helmets with the I-S-U letters on a capital letter I and gold pants) might become a lucky charm. Keep on wearing 'em Clones.

Because the Cyclones wore white jerseys Saturday, Iowa players wore their customary home black jerseys.

Observers say Big Ten football is deteriorating and there's Ohio State, Wisconsin and Penn State sitting comfortably a combined 9-0 and ranked eighth, ninth and 10th in the nation.

Iowa plays at Wisconsin Saturday.

Sioux City Journal: It doesn't get easier for ISU

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: Big GAME Saturday

They have the internet in Sioux City? JK

Swarm & Punish
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 649
    Given: 1,312

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    Iowa and Iowa State in Ames drew 49,516 Saturday. That's the lowest crowd total since the series was resumed in 1977. The previous low was 47,714 in 1995.

i think the numbers are reversed...

-keep.

The first and best victory is to conquer self; to be conquered by self is of all things most shameful and vile. - Plato

May you only need 39 acres to turn your rig around. - keep

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 728
    Given: 550

Yes we do. Mine sucks though.

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by bostinelosd View Post
    Yes we do. Mine sucks though.
    I grew up over by there, so I'm pretty familiar with the area.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 131
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by Bryceman View Post
    Huh? What?

Bench Warmer Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Thumbs Up

The previous low was 49,714, not 47,714.