Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Can ISU Football Benefit from the Realignment of the Big 12

This realignment is all based around the football programs of the schools, in my opinion. If the Big 12 stays at 9 or possibly 8 with a Missouri seccession to the Southeast can the ISU football program benefit?

1) I do not think this realignment affects basketball recruiting and the basketball program that much. We will have/do have a better basketball program than Colorado/Nebraska/T A&M/ and possibly Missouri in the near future. That is the direction that the BB program is headed.

2) I think this could realignment and seccession to other conferences by Colorado, Nebraska, most likely Texas A&M, and possibly Missouri could very possible backfire for these schools in terms of recruiting and the lack of political status/pecking order in their new conferences. It puts a lot of pressure on their teams to win in the short term to justify that they can compete in their new conferences.

3) Nebraska and Texas A&M have much better funded and successful football programs than ISU. With them leaving, we move up the ladder. We struggled to climb this ladder. This realignment can create a void that we can move into.

4) The $$ that the newly aligned conference can generate from TV revenue will be a strong/deciding factor in the conferences future. The $$ need to comparable to the Big 10/Pac-10/SEC Conferences.

5) Having and maintaining the top rated conference in football can only help and is very effective in shutting up hecklers (especially Hawkeyes) that say the Big 12 is collapsing.

6) The change in Big 12 Leadership will help stabilize the conference in the short term. A storng long term leadership is needed.

Just some radom thoughts that may or may not be on point. Please comment. Thanks in advance.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129

Re: Can ISU Football Benefit from the Realignment of the Big 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzels View Post
    This realignment is all based around the football programs of the schools, in my opinion. If the Big 12 stays at 9 or possibly 8 with a Missouri seccession to the Southeast can the ISU football program benefit?

1) I do not think this realignment affects basketball recruiting and the basketball program that much. We will have/do have a better basketball program than Colorado/Nebraska/T A&M/ and possibly Missouri in the near future. That is the direction that the BB program is headed.

2) I think this could realignment and seccession to other conferences by Colorado, Nebraska, most likely Texas A&M, and possibly Missouri could very possible backfire for these schools in terms of recruiting and the lack of political status/pecking order in their new conferences. It puts a lot of pressure on their teams to win in the short term to justify that they can compete in their new conferences.

3) Nebraska and Texas A&M have much better funded and successful football programs than ISU. With them leaving, we move up the ladder. We struggled to climb this ladder. This realignment can create a void that we can move into.

4) The $$ that the newly aligned conference can generate from TV revenue will be a strong/deciding factor in the conferences future. The $$ need to comparable to the Big 10/Pac-10/SEC Conferences.

5) Having and maintaining the top rated conference in football can only help and is very effective in shutting up hecklers (especially Hawkeyes) that say the Big 12 is collapsing.

6) The change in Big 12 Leadership will help stabilize the conference in the short term. A storng long term leadership is needed.

Just some radom thoughts that may or may not be on point. Please comment. Thanks in advance.
    I've thought about this as well. If the Big 12 could be stable at 8, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want that. It seems like more money for everyone, and give ISU a significant advantage in recruiting compared to previous years.

Pro
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 1,529
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 84
    Given: 96

With ATM and Mizzou out, unsure if the replacements would be good as those 2nd tier type programs. Could benefit ISU in terms of facing programs that aren't as good.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Addict
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 695
    Given: 339

As long as the Big 12 exists, it is only getting better for ISU from here on out. Bringing in easier competition and getting more money. ISU would have been the biggest loser if it fell apart, but that is because we are the biggest winner if it stays together.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

With every conference now at 12 and 14 teams (besides BE), I do not feel comfortable at 8... at all. We would just continue to hear about conferences stealing our teams. Plus, we need to snatch up some schools while we can, before they are gone. I want to go back to 12, and go back to a championship game. At least 10. If Mizzou leaves, let's get Cincy, Louisville, WV, and BYU/TCU. That's a good conference. I want a strong conference that is safe for the foreseeable future. What I would actually love would be a Big 12 Network.

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUcy08 View Post
    With every conference now at 12 and 14 teams (besides BE), I do not feel comfortable at 8... at all. We would just continue to hear about conferences stealing our teams. Plus, we need to snatch up some schools while we can, before they are gone. I want to go back to 12, and go back to a championship game. At least 10. If Mizzou leaves, let's get Cincy, Louisville, WV, and BYU/TCU. That's a good conference. I want a strong conference that is safe for the foreseeable future. What I would actually love would be a Big 12 Network.
    If we were stable at 8 (and I think we would be extremely stable if Texas and OU got their respective networks up and running), why would anyone ever want to leave? Every team would be making a TON of money, so what would be the advantage of going to a different conference? Who's going to get mad and leave? Oklahoma State? Texas Tech? Kansas? I don't think so.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In addition, I wouldn't be surprised if the networks expanded to something like this...
    Longhorn Network = Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor
    Oklahoma Network = Oklahoma, Oklahoma State
    North Network = Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State

note: I have no information, just ************ up possible scenarios like every else.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 19.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 471
    Given: 139

Being stable at 8 would be fine with me as well.

However, it seems that at this point in time, fear mongering is beating logic. Maybe we DO have to go back to 12, if public perception demands it. I thought admins were immune to public perception, but it appears that isn't the case.

Either way, ISU benefits. If we stay at 8, we make a lot of dough and have 4 non-cons. If we add 4 teams, most of those are winnable games and we're still making a lot of dough and will still likely have 4 non-cons.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

All-Star
    Level completed: 45%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JUKEBOX View Post
    If we were stable at 8 (and I think we would be extremely stable if Texas and OU got their respective networks up and running), why would anyone ever want to leave? Every team would be making a TON of money, so what would be the advantage of going to a different conference? Who's going to get mad and leave? Oklahoma State? Texas Tech? Kansas? I don't think so.
    I see your point, but we need to bring back some of the markets we lost. Is a network going to give us a lot of money for 8 teams, especially when ISU, TT, KSU, BAY don't have huge markets? TEX, OU, OSU, KU (basketball) would have to bring in all the money. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

2009 Insight Bowl Champions!

Prospect
    Thumbs Up

Although i would love to see the confrence go back to the Big 8 it gives to much leverage to texa$ and ok...b/c if one were to leave the confrence crumbles before anyone has time to react

Beer Pong.........You Sink It They Drink It!

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by ISUcy08 View Post
    I see your point, but we need to bring back some of the markets we lost. Is a network going to give us a lot of money for 8 teams, especially when ISU, TT, KSU, BAY don't have huge markets? TEX, OU, OSU, KU (basketball) would have to bring in all the money. I don't know, maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
    I don't think the Big 12 has a plan to sell a BIG network for all the teams like the Big 10. I think their focus is to create a bunch of smaller, regional networks focusing on the teams in that area. I'm not sure how profitable that could be, but it would definitely be interesting. I think there's a better chance the North schools migrate to online independent networks, while the South schools have tv networks.

All-Star
    Level completed: 57%, Points required for next Level: 478
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 20
    Given: 73

Quote Originally Posted by countrycy View Post
    Although i would love to see the confrence go back to the Big 8 it gives to much leverage to texa$ and ok...b/c if one were to leave the confrence crumbles before anyone has time to react
    With the teams we're looking to add, that will probably be the case anyway. The only thing that would bring true stability to the Big 12 is if we added another really large market team.

The SEC has nearly the same disparity between the money made by the top schools and the money made by the bottom schools. The difference there is there are (I think) 4 top schools that all bring in about the same amount, so losing one or even two of them wouldn't threaten the SEC. The Big 10 is similar, but with less disparity between the top and the bottom.

Notre Dame would probably be the only available team that would allow the conference to survive if Texas left, and I think its highly unlikely they're joining the Big 12.

Starter
    Level completed: 32%, Points required for next Level: 544
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 69

North Network = Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State

We need to be proactive in the media area. ISU budget for media is nonexistant.

All-Star
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 391
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 120
    Given: 176

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post

However, it seems that at this point in time, fear mongering is beating logic. Maybe we DO have to go back to 12, if public perception demands it. I thought admins were immune to public perception, but it appears that isn't the case.

Either way, ISU benefits. If we stay at 8, we make a lot of dough and have 4 non-cons. If we add 4 teams, most of those are winnable games and we're still making a lot of dough and will still likely have 4 non-cons.
    If we would stay at 8, that means there would be 5 non-conf=12 games. No one would go back to a 11 game season in my opinion.

All-Star
    Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 510
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 26

Quote Originally Posted by Al_4_State View Post

If it says at 8 teams we would have 5 non-cons and the conference would be viewed as a joke like the Big East. You could end up having 1-6 teams in conference bowl eligable. The Big 12 needs to get back to 12 teams and have two divisions to show they aren't going anywhere.

With loosing MU from the conference, ISU fans may be kissing the Big 12 basketball tourney in KC good bye.

Kyle S. Flander