Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Rules question

Sorry if this has been asked. On the play when the Texas qb fell down as he was pitching the ball, I clearly saw a Texas defender push the ISU player in the back. What is the rule? Is there an area around the line of scrimmage where this is legal? Also, how dumb was the announcer thinking people thought the qb knee was down. They were booing about the block or push in the back.

All-Star
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 412
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 26
    Given: 20

Re: Rules question

I know there is a whole "don't complain about the reffing crowd on here", but to me the refereeing was definitely suspect on several occasions. Of course we beat ourselves with stupid mistakes and turnovers, but some of the questionable calls/no-calls sure didn't help..

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 105

Please stop this thread, lest we sound like eic fans.

Prospect
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

I am not complaining, I want to know the rule. If the ref missed the call he missed it, too late now. Is that a legal block, that is my question.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 557
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 45
    Given: 2

If it was completely in the back then he missed a call. If he got him on the side that's another story. Remember it's all on the ref's perception, or at least it should be.

Rookie
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 8
    Given: 105

Quote Originally Posted by dmcy View Post
    I am not complaining, I want to know the rule. If the ref missed the call he missed it, too late now. Is that a legal block, that is my question.
    Sorry, I'm not an official, and I don't know the rules well enough to submit an answer for you. I'm sure someone out there knows the answer to your question. Come on CF'ers, help out! Glad to know this is not going to be a "blame the officials" thread. Thanks.

Prospect
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Does the blockers head have to be in front of the player he is blocking?

All-Star
    Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 791
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 5

I played both line's at the 4A level in high school and at least at that level any contact with the back was a block in the back 10 yd penalty it got pretty touchy on the sides with calls there more often than not. seeing the play last night in my opinion that was a 100% missed call the end was past the lineman free and clear, and the tackle just pushed him down from behind that's a block in the back minimum could be construed as unsportsmanlike conduct if he had been taking shots like that consistently or if he said something while doing it

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Does the blockers head have to be in front of the player he is blocking?
    no as long as his hands are not on his back and he is not holding it is a clean block, however it is hard to not hold with your head behind a player

"Day after day, situation after situation you do things the right way. If you do things the right way, in life, you are going to be successful. I'm not just your football coach; I'm not just here to win games. I could not be prouder of who we are and who we are becoming, together. You do things right in the classroom, off and on the field; that's whats's makes us Cyclones and that's what our culture's all about."
    -Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 186

Sorry if this has been asked. On the play when the Texas qb fell down as he was pitching the ball, I clearly saw a Texas defender push the ISU player in the back. What is the rule? Is there an area around the line of scrimmage where this is legal? Also, how dumb was the announcer thinking people thought the qb knee was down. They were booing about the block or push in the back.
    I am not a referee but I learned how to play offensive line from one of the smartest, most rules-savvy coaches there is. So...

There is an area around the LOS where this is legal, called the "blocking zone". It's a 5 yard (across) by 3 yard ("north-south") rectangle centered on where the ball is before the snap. Blocking in the back and clipping are both legal in this zone for as long as the ball remains in it. Once the ball leaves the zone, "regular" rules apply (even if the ball later returns to the zone).

If I'm thinking of the same play you are - and maybe I'm not - but it's possible that the ball was still in the blocking zone and that a block in the back would be legal.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61 View Post
    I am not a referee but I learned how to play offensive line from one of the smartest, most rules-savvy coaches there is. So...

There is an area around the LOS where this is legal, called the "blocking zone". It's a 5 yard (across) by 3 yard ("north-south") rectangle centered on where the ball is before the snap. Blocking in the back and clipping are both legal in this zone for as long as the ball remains in it. Once the ball leaves the zone, "regular" rules apply (even if the ball later returns to the zone).

If I'm thinking of the same play you are - and maybe I'm not - but it's possible that the ball was still in the blocking zone and that a block in the back would be legal.
    the qb was well out of the pocket and rolling out so the bal was out of the blocking zone

-Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 43.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 625
    Given: 186

Quote Originally Posted by BigM View Post
    the qb was well out of the pocket and rolling out so the bal was out of the blocking zone
    I must be thinking of a completely different play. I was picturing one where the quarterback was falling down coming out of the snap and flipped the ball while falling down.

Still, though, the answer to the question "Is there an area around the line of scrimmage where this is legal?" is yes.

All-Star
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

okay i was thinking of the wrong of the wrong play in that case it would be legal

-Paul Rhoads

Addict
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 304
    Given: 113

Quote Originally Posted by CyFan61
    I always thought that there were some leeway on the line in terms of blocking in the back near the line of scrimmage. I played on the line in high school, and there was an instance were I got called for blocking in the back in that area. Granted I could wrong because I was blocking a linebacker at the time, but I still thought I wasn't that far from that area.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,494
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 1

The blocker grabs Lattimer and pulls him in just so he could block him in the back. Much more of a hold than a block in the back.
    Texas vs ISU 2011 pt4 - YouTube