Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 33
    Given: 3

Props!!!!

Couple insights on the game...

A friend of mine who is very well connected with the program told me a few things about Meyer. The staff was less then impressed with his overall knowledge of the qb position as a senior and three year starter. The problem was more of coaching, not abilities. It stemmed from the lack of coaching the ability to read a defense both pre-snap and post snap... i began to think about this and thought to myself - how many times last year did meyer audible at the line to change the play - ummmm zero!!!! Well in the critical drive, meyer audibled on a third and four play to an out to Summeral, first down and a great read. The post game reaction of the coaches to meyers play was that he's beginning to read and react - a great sign. My thoughts are that given this insight, we are in for some great things with AA, he will be in the system almost two years before he's making his first start - he will be ready.

Defense - wow, they dominated the strength of Iowa and shut down their running game better then i ever thought we would....i knew jake the snake or whatever they call him wasnt going to beat us....Allen Bell is the real deal, and before the year is over, we will be calling him the shut down corner we can put on a island like Tampa does with Ronde Barber....He's living up to billing...

O-line: Impressive - They dominated one of the better front sevens we will play - period. To not hear Iwebama's name nearly the whole game is a statement, he was and is a pre-season all american and he got dominated!

Bates: Get this kid on the field - watching him on offense is like watching Bowen on the Defense.....Exciting.....The thing that really excited me was listening to McFarland this morning and he indicated that Bates had discussed the wheel route on the linebacker and how he felt he could beat the coverage (great coverage by the backer by the way). They drew the play up on the sideline and executed it, but, the mere fact that it was a spontaneous reaction to the coverage says a lot about our coaches willingness to try new things rather then beat the dead horses into the ground after the Defense makes adjustments. Also, what does this say about Bates, he truly understands football and establishing mismatches.....a true freshman, i think not......awesome play!!!!!!

To evaluate this game compared to the two losses - it looks like a differnet team. The systems worked extremely well, although i still have one negative with the offense. Looking at past McFarland led offenses, they rank very well in several offensive categories except scoring, we need touchdowns. I think the spread and quick strike offense when backed up into a tight field tightens up that defense where it seems its not quite as effective. They need to get something working there, not sure what it might be, but, our WR are not beating their guys in close...

Awesome job Clones.....

K

Rookie
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2
    Given: 0

Re: Props!!!!

I think Iowa has only given up like 3 pts before last Saturday? So I'm optimistic that it was less about a spread offense and a short field then it was a very tough defense tightening up in the red zone. I would think spreading out with a 5 receiver set would give BM some running lanes, even inside the 20. Otherwise very interesting post, enjoyed it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 769
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I agree and think that with a Toledo rush defense giving up an average of 5.6 yards per carry this will be a very big week for our RB's. I see us winning this game easily and covering the spread plus a lot!!! Go Clones!!!

“Also, I met a lot of Iowa State fans and I don’t want to leave any of that behind.” - DARIUS DARKS on Staying a CLONE!!!

Matt (00 Alumn)
    Waukee, Iowa

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,197
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 22

along those lines we will have to stop their running game.. they have 2 good rbs.. but if we do what we did against iowa i wont be to worried..

Iowa State: Anyone who's a true college basketball fan needs to see a game at Hilton Coliseum. Nice is in the DNA of Iowans and the fans here are particularly gracious -- even when the home team loses but gives a great effort, they are appreciative.

ESPN.com picked Hilton Coliseum as the "Hot Arena" in the Big 12...coaches in the league noted that, "regardless of talent, the Cyclones have a home court like no other."

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cmoore_23 View Post
    along those lines we will have to stop their running game.. they have 2 good rbs.. but if we do what we did against iowa i wont be to worried..
    Big if.....

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I think there were times last week when Iowa really could've hurt us with some misdirection. It'll be interesting to see how much of that Toledo employs and how effective we'll be at stopping it.

All-Star
    Level completed: 59%, Points required for next Level: 370
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 33

I think we will finally see that long TD run in this game this weekend. Hopefully the line can play as well as they did last weekend.

Kyle S. Flander

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 288
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6

Quote Originally Posted by rd4isu View Post
    I think there were times last week when Iowa really could've hurt us with some misdirection. It'll be interesting to see how much of that Toledo employs and how effective we'll be at stopping it.
    I thought that bootleg on 4th and 1 that went for the TD was a great call on their part. They had everybody going one way and took the ball the other.

What ever happened to truth, justice and the American Way?

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 490
    Given: 2,073

I was going to mention the play of Bell. After watching the game on tape, he was really quite dominating.

While on live TV, Ford used a vulgar term to describe a private part of the female anatomy, adding that he was “happily married” and “got more than enough to eat at home.”

Starter
    Level completed: 89%, Points required for next Level: 100
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 18

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    Couple insights on the game...

I think the spread and quick strike offense when backed up into a tight field tightens up that defense where it seems its not quite as effective. They need to get something working there, not sure what it might be, but, our WR are not beating their guys in close...

K
    We need to have a running game that can pound out the yards inside the red zone, even when the opposition knows we are going to run.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by JRE1975 View Post
    We need to have a running game that can pound out the yards inside the red zone, even when the opposition knows we are going to run.
    Good call, i agree and i think our line will get there, may or may not be this year, but, give some of these young guys a year or two in Sheps hands and they will be ready to maul some people.........

One other thing is, i like the fact that all of our freshman OL have the chance to redshirt this year barring any injuries, that gives them a year to understand the blocking schemes and Shep gets to mold these guys into A%* kickers, and in order to develop into players that can physically compete in the big 12 and short yardage situations, you need that strength......my prediction still holds true, watch out for Trey Basinger, this guy looks like a bad A%* and Osemele if his size becomes a strength not a liability, these guys could be anchors of a great line for our future.

K

Walk On Achievements:
    Veteran1000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by KMAC_ATTACK View Post
    One other thing is, i like the fact that all of our freshman OL have the chance to redshirt this year barring any injuries, that gives them a year to understand the blocking schemes and Shep gets to mold these guys into A%* kickers, and in order to develop into players that can physically compete in the big 12 and short yardage situations, you need that strength......my prediction still holds true, watch out for Trey Basinger, this guy looks like a bad A%* and Osemele if his size becomes a strength not a liability, these guys could be anchors of a great line for our future.
    K
    Good post. I would love to see what this team could do if they had an O line like we did when Loney was here.

Legend Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

The other thing to keep in mind is that we finally didn't bog down inside the 40. We bogged down inside the 20.

And we had two legit shots at TDs in the 1st half. The first was an iffy, either-way hold on Blythe. The second was just a missed catch by (Hamilton?)

I'll give credit to iowa's D. They snuffed our drives and just executed in the redzone better (for the most part) . But this game could've been a blowout.

It is discouraging just how bad our Offensive scoring output, particularly second half scoring, has been the past two seasons.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 593
    Given: 365

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyMac View Post
    The other thing to keep in mind is that we finally didn't bog down inside the 40. We bogged down inside the 20.

And we had two legit shots at TDs in the 1st half. The first was an iffy, either-way hold on Blythe. The second was just a missed catch by (Hamilton?)

I'll give credit to iowa's D. They snuffed our drives and just executed in the redzone better (for the most part) . But this game could've been a blowout.

It is discouraging just how bad our Offensive scoring output, particularly second half scoring, has been the past two seasons.
    Great post.

However, I don't think Blythe's non-catch was a bad call - he just didn't run through the ball, instead opting to just slow down and stick one hand out. He had plenty of room to take another step and stretch out both hands. Perhaps he thought he was closer to the sideline than he really was. That was the one I was most frustrated about - referring to a field goal instead of a TD.

Iowa's defense did do a pretty good job against us, especially with the new stuff we threw at them (spread formations). In the 2nd half, with exception to the final drive, they did a great job against us. Their defense did enough to win that game. Fortunately for us, our defense didn't allow their offense to come through.

Last year we averaged less than 7 points a game in the 2nd half. I think that may even be with the garbage points we scored. This year, we'd be just below 7 points in the 2nd half again. I have no idea what is causing this anomaly, but I'd like it fixed - starting this Saturday.

Pro
    Level completed: 24%, Points required for next Level: 1,148
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I hate to say this and will probably getted ripped, but, last year i knew and everyone knew why we didnt score after halftime....the other team made key adjustments and our team did not. From the three games i've seen, the Iowa game was the only game i was able to identify the adjustments. First half we dragged Blythe across the middle a lot, and the second half as Iowa adjusted to Blythe we brought the opposite slot receiver in 4 receiver sets across the middle sumral across and they were always open...i really like the development of sumral, he runs good routes and catches everything.....We need to identify those adjustments and take advantage of them just as bates had identified when they had their linebacker on him, thats just smart football. The only thing i would have like to have seen in a similar situation is double move or something that forces the linebacker to rotate his hips not just run, most LB in todays game are quick, but, not able to maintain the quickness in and out of a break. Bates, goto Mac with that one, double moves, slot receiver, engage the lb on a crossing route into the middle, stop, cut it back to the outside on a fade with franklin or blythe clearing your way with a fly on that same side....TD!!!!

Whats up with Franklin.....he's been a disappointment....seems like he either don't know the play or can't get any separation, anyone with some insight on him....