Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 62
    Given: 90

How close was it?

The sky isn't falling. Take a look at how close the game really was. Did anyone feel we were outmanned in this one? The only glaring thing I saw was our O-line didn't handle blitzes well so Superman was on the run all night. Otherwise I saw two very even teams battling it out. The difference? ISU was playing Russian Roulette and putting 6 bullets in instead of 1.
    1. Yardage was nearly equal.
    2. Eliminate the mistakes (i.e. turnovers) and you take 13 points off the board for them and add at least 7 to ours.
    3. Two penalties cost us 14 points. You simply can't take points off the board. In one case Money was holding when it did make any difference. In another the catch was made because of a huge pushoff. So we are talking at least 7 points to our favor here. Add Money's other hold during the long run and you have potential for more.
    4. LJ's stupid personal foul on 3rd down followed by a blown pass coverage for another 7.
    It all comes down to mistakes and mental errors. We aren't as bad as a 37-14 score indicates. Yet, if we don't value the ball more and become smarter on the field we'll see more of the same.

Big questions remain - what is the depth at tackle on the O-line? Who replaces LJ? Can we find a kicker that can actually make one?

Pro
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 509
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Re: How close was it?

Hopefully someone smarter replaces LJ. The **** he pulls sometime without getting disciplined at all is unbelievable.

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

[QUOTE=acoustimac;2431267]The sky isn't falling. Take a look at how close the game really was. Did anyone feel we were outmanned in this one? The only glaring thing I saw was our O-line didn't handle blitzes well so Superman was on the run all night. Otherwise I saw two very even teams battling it out. The difference? ISU was playing Russian Roulette and putting 6 bullets in instead of 1.
    2. Eliminate the mistakes (i.e. turnovers) and you take 13 points off the board for them and add at least 7 to ours.
    3. Two penalties cost us 14 points. You simply can't take points off the board. In one case Money was holding when it did make any difference. In another the catch was made because of a huge pushoff. So we are talking at least 7 points to our favor here. Add Money's other hold during the long run and you have potential for more.
    4. LJ's stupid personal foul on 3rd down followed by a blown pass coverage for another 7.

I was at the game and was ****** that both of these penalties were called and after watching the game today I am even MORE ****** that Money got called for holding on White touchdown and Darks got called for a push off!
    *Money PLANTED his guy! If that is holding, everything is a hold
    *Darks didn't even make first contact. The corner came up and made contact and then fell to the ground acting like he was hurt!

Walk On
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 433
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by AlleyAddict View Post
    Hopefully someone smarter replaces LJ. The **** he pulls sometime without getting disciplined at all is unbelievable.
    He is the BEST corner on the team right now! LJ made a bad decision and let his emotions get the best of him. If he wouldn't have made contact with Shipley we wouldn't even be talking about any of this

Pro
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 456
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 47

Does anyone think Texas looked all that faster than ISU?
    I don't.

http://www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com/index.html
    No one can match our dedication and passion for Nintendo's classic sports titles...Tecmo Bowl & R.B.I. Baseball. In-depth strategy guides, player attributes, team rankings, along with incredibly detailed recaps of our season play. We don't reminisce, we just keep playing!

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 116
    Given: 21

If it wasn't for OUR stupid mistakes we would have easily been in the game.

Addict
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 844
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience PointsSocial
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 70
    Given: 13

its frustrating when you feel like you are as good as your opponent but get crushed. but mistakes are part of football. good teams don't make dumb mistakes. so if we want to be a good team, we can't do that!

i know that is being overly obvious, but this cyclone team loves to live and die by the sword. and with that, there are going to be mistakes.

as for the fumbles, good players dont fumble the ball! ie: troy and darren davis..

Pro
    Level completed: 54%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 32
    Given: 18

If I'm Mack Brown I am worried to play OU next week. Texas now has another QB controversy and they gave up 380 yards to Iowa State (250 of that was through the air) - imagine what the Sooners will do.

The biggest positive I saw was that Steele Jantz didn't quit. He was still trying to make plays in the last 4 minutes of the game. Also, the Cyclones came out and won the second-half - you could tell that Mack Brown was trying to run up the score and could only come up with 3 points in the second half. While I would have loved to see a win, I think we can agree that this is a team that proves it can win the second half (instead of preserving the lead), and that is going to be crucial when we meet up with teams like Kansas State, Baylor and Texas Tech.

All-Star
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 316
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures25000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by acoustimac View Post
    The sky isn't falling. Take a look at how close the game really was. Did anyone feel we were outmanned in this one? The only glaring thing I saw was our O-line didn't handle blitzes well so Superman was on the run all night. Otherwise I saw two very even teams battling it out. The difference? ISU was playing Russian Roulette and putting 6 bullets in instead of 1.
    It all comes down to mistakes and mental errors. We aren't as bad as a 37-14 score indicates. Yet, if we don't value the ball more and become smarter on the field we'll see more of the same.

Big questions remain - what is the depth at tackle on the O-line? Who replaces LJ? Can we find a kicker that can actually make one?
    The sky may be falling due to injuries, and we are mired in a deep rut of penalties and turnovers. It's the only consistent thing in all four games thusfar. We have to break that pattern. If we don't, we may not see another win. Now we have 3 starters on the ropes to injury.

We are as bad as the score indicates. I mean, after all, it was the Cylcones who committed those fouls and turnovers. That's a significant part of our performance, and it ain't good. Sure, we could have played right with them if we were more disciplined and held on to the ball better. But that's the point, isn't it?

Early commit - fall 2024

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 30
    Given: 6

I think texas looked quite a bit faster than us at a couple positions..

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 181
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album pictures5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Taking refuge in numbers is what the losers do. Football is more than just statistics, it's even more than pure execution.

I watched the game from beginning to end and I can tell you that our team has some problems the coaching staff need to address. Some of these problems have been with us from the start of the season. I knew we could not sustain our momentum based on the way we had played and figured a good team like Texas would expose our weaknesses more starkly than UNI, Iowa or UConn.

We have a good team, but if we are going bowling this year, they'll have to get out of their own way.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by GoSTATE71 View Post
    I think texas looked quite a bit faster than us at a couple positions..
    They might have been faster at a couple of positions, but not at 90% like they use to. We are doing a great job of building this program to be able to compete with the big boys.

I just think overall these guys looked huge, but we weren't overmatched by any means. I just think we failed to stay focused and got rattled.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 105
    Given: 19

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    I don't.
    I honestly thought they looked noticeably faster than us defensively.

All-Star
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 593
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by 19210 View Post
    They might have been faster at a couple of positions, but not at 90% like they use to. We are doing a great job of building this program to be able to compete with the big boys.

I just think overall these guys looked huge, but we weren't overmatched by any means. I just think we failed to stay focused and got rattled.
    On another note, I hate to be a conspiratist, but it sure seems the refs are suppose to know who is going to win this game and they add a flag here to help the cause. The red river shoot out might not be as hyped if Texas got beat by ISU.

I don't think we played good enough to win and not blaming it on the refs by any means, but there were some calls not called for us and some calls called against us witch were horse pucky.

Pro
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 1,094
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 17
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by FD Cyclone View Post
    I don't.
    They definitely looked bigger and faster but I'd say the gap narrowed from previous years.