Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social1 year registered50000 Experience PointsOverdrive

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Re: Will any reporter have the guts to ask Rhoads...

I went to the CU - WSU game yesterday. Wash St had at least 6 personal foul penalties and still won. Granted, it was against CU, but there are teams out there worse disciplined.

Team Rainbo_

Quote Originally Posted by VikesFan4Ever28 View Post
    You have almost 5 crap tons.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

Rhoads is an emotional guy. His teams are going to be emotional. All the people complaining about our players showboating are probably in their late 50's+.

It's a catch 22, when we win it's b/c we play so hard and with so much emotion and us fans love it! When we lose we have clonedude posting saying he hates it. Notice how quite Clonedude is on this site when we are doing well and winning?

Last edited by coachdags; 10-02-2011 at 11:16 AM.

Starter
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 422
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 4
    Given: 1

College FB is NOT the WWF!!

Quote Originally Posted by HFCS View Post
    UNI acts like LJ did practically every tackle they get against us. In the Iowa/ISU game both teams act like that after every tackle.

It's stupid but it wasn't the crazy controversial thing people are making it into. The affect it had on the game as a 7 point swing was obviously disastrous and he should be held accountable. The act is something you see in most games that goes uncalled half the time. I watched it up close on TV and I didn't see the no-holds-barred WWF flying off the turnbuckle head butt that some of our fans seem to think it was. I saw what an Iowa player does every time he tackles an ISU player. Stupid, but not uncommon.
    Totally disagree. ISU makes a defensive stand. Its not like LJ and Shipley were tied together and LJ happened to headbutt him getting off a pile. LJ was high fiving a teammate and then got into Shippley's face and topped it off by headbutting the Texas player.

As far as college FB goes LJ could have been penalized 2x on that play- taunting and the headbutt.

Addict
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I agree with CloneDude to an extent. These guys are not playing sound, smart football. Kinda reminds me of Wayne Morgan teams. Too much talent and not enough team. Problem is we have even less talent.

I'm sure it is hard for Rhoads to keep these guys passionate and focused. You can have a lot of success if you have both of these elements at play all the time, but if one is missing it can turn messy. Right now he has them passionate, he needs to get them focused.

All-Star
    Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 145
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    LJ didn't even miss one play for that idiotic behavior. He should have been benched for a series or two IMO.

Of course some will say that we can't afford to have LJ on the sidelines. Really? We can't afford to sit a guy that might have cost us any chance at winning the game last night?
    So you weren't watching the game then were you? Rhoads DID bring him to the sidelines the very next plat and ripped his ***. And on the next play, Texas scored on a deep route--probably the new corner they brought in-- but he was too far away from the play so i couldn't get his number.

So yes, Rhoads did bench him for a series. Calm down old man.

Pro
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 237
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Problem is, I don't see this happening all over college football at all.

I probably couldn't come up with more than 10 schools that are worse than us as far as behavior after a play is over.

As someone else said, we have to play smarter and make less mistakes than our opponent for us to be succesful. Maybe not against UNI, Iowa, and UConn, but against the rest of our schedule we will not win another game starting games like this.

I think we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the country going into the season. And the toughest part is now staring us right in the face. We HAVE to become a LOT more disciplined really, really fast.
    Dont have any problem with the comment that we need to play more discipline ball - no problem...

But comparing us to the U seroiusly....where are the camo fatigues when u need them....

And to say this team is one of the worst in college football based on your perspective, i hate to say it this way, but, you must not watch college football!

From my perspective, its about attitude, swagger and a host of other things that this team will NEED in order to get through one of the toughest schedules in college football. To further my point, did you watch the Nebraska - Wisky game....

You must have been appalled! Wisky players were head butting nebby players in the fourth quarter, pushing etc etc...its about attitude.

That said, the key to being good is that you must be able to approach that line of overboard and stop....in LJ's time here at isu he has crossed that line a couple of times, but, nothing, nothing to warrant anything that you describe as calling his personnal foul as the key to losing the game.

how bout Lenz's fumble as a key?
    How bout White's fumble as a key?
    How bout Jantz interception as a key.....

Bottom line is we did the same stupid thing that UCLA did....you turn the ball over three times in the first quarter....who cares about a stupid penalty...it happens its not a game losing play unless its 3 minutes left in a tied game.....

Addict
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 63

Quote Originally Posted by yoteforever View Post
    I don't make many posts on here and when I do it has been usually to criticize the "fickleness" of our fans, and only supporting Iowa State when things are going well. And while there are a couple of threads going on that would support what I have said in the past, I read this one with a great deal of interest because I believe hard in what the poster says.

To begin with, I, like many of you, really like and appreciate CPR and his passion for Iowa State. Games like this happen, and although I hate it, they probably always will for the time being UNTIL coaches address what the topic of this thread is. I am surprised Paul puts up with all of the on field antics he does, because in my estimation, it goes against the very fiber he is made up of. If they make a big play, I can see the "unit", offense or defense celebrating with a great deal of passion. That's Paul. But when a player does the slash across the throat, or the fist pounding of a heart, or shaking his head NO like he was telling a cop he wasn't anywhere near the scene of a crime, I hate it. ESPECIALLY when you are down 34-0. There is no place for it.

I am an older guy, and always been a Cyclone. But one thing I always admired about Hayden Fry, and it took him a few years to get it instituted, but he taught the Hawkeyes to act like they have done it before. When they entered the field, it was in a large group, coming out very slow as opposed to running out at full speed fists pumping jumping up and down like I did when I was in high school. That expends energy anyway. When the Hawks scored, their players gave the ball to the refs, and other than endzone hugs, the amount of celebration was limited. If he ever had a player that did the gametime "whoopies" he was pulled and chastized. In post game interviews when he would be asked why he pulled a certain kid, his response always was something like this..." Joe acted like he was the only player that did anything right. What he didn't realize was his D-line put so much pressure on their QB that caused the quick throw and resulting interception that if they hadn't done that, Joe might have been beat on a deep route".

In other words, Hayden MADE the team become a TEAM. Not sorted out individuals. Personally speaking, all this circus crap that goes on on the field is a bunch of "wannabes" trying to one up the other. Act like you have been there before. Stop the individual acts calling for people to look at you, but rather focus on acting as a unit. Coach Paul is closer to putting a quality product on the field, but realistically as long as many of the schools that have economic advantages over us as they do, we aren't likely to "steal" 5 star recruits, and most likely, we will always be underdogs against teams like this. But that doesn't mean we can't beat them, and with a guy like Paul Rhoades at the helm, I think we have a chance, but this is one thing he has to change in my estimation if he truly wants to build this so called "blue collar" team he says he has. Blue collar workers don't act like idiots, what they do is knock those people that do act like idiots on their arses, and tell them to straighten up and fly right. That's when you will have a team that can compete and we can support fully.

The comment about reminding him of the Miami Hurricane days is spot on. It sucks. CPR, nip this in the butt now, and use it as the rallying point to build your "blue collar-lunch pail to work" type of team you want to have.

All this being said, I still love and will always support the Cyclones, but thanks to the poster that started this thread. It is a great one.
    Great post. Couldn't have said it better.

I love Paul's passion. And I want the team to play with passion too. But there's a very distinct line between playing with passion and being stupid and acting like idiots.

I love it when you say how it's a TEAM effort when we make a good play. Just because you broke up a pass, doesn't mean it was ONLY you that made that play work? Maybe a DE created some pressure which caused a hurried throw? Maybe a DT got a hand up and made the QB throw behind the WR a little bit which made you make the deflection?

This is a TEAM game. And I know Rhoads preaches that, but why isn't it resonating with some of these players? Why are some of our guys drawing all kinds of attention to themselves when it is a team game? I feel bad for guys like Rump, McDonough, Neal, Knott, Klein, Matt T, Reeves, etc when someone like LJ thinks only about himself and headbutts someone after the play when the defense has worked so hard and have stopped them. Most importantly, you let all your defensive teammates down, but you also let the coaches and fans down as well.

Once again, great post.

I feel that our talent level has really gotten better since Rhoads has come here, but our discipline has really gone down. And it's gotten to the point where it's costing us games.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 128
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Rhoads is an emotional guy. His teams are going to be emotional. All the people complaining about our players showboating are probably in their late 50's+.

It's a catch 22, when we win it's b/c we play so hard and with so much emotion and us fans love it! When we lose we have clonedude posting saying he hates it. Notice how quite Clonedude is on this site when we are doing well and winning?
    I am in my 50's (not late..lol) and I just posted my thoughts regarding this type of behavior, but with respect to your feelings, what does that have to do with anything. I understand ( a little ) that a player pops right up after a big play because they indeed are jacked up. I get it. But the "throat slashing" gesture, I don't get that. The game of football is still the game of football. Usually the most disciplined teams win.

And please don't try and convince anyone on this board that the players were playing with so much emotion when down 27-0. That isn't right. I say shut your mouth and let your play speak for you.

Last edited by coachdags; 10-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.

Rookie
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 377
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 11
    Given: 3

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    You must have missed the play immediately after where Rhoads actually DID pull LJ and Texas subsequently scored a long touchdown on a pass to the guy being covered by LJ's replacement.
    This is what I remember too.

And anyone who thinks this team acts like The U, just watch this [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eQvaeZhFOY&feature=related]Miami brawl vs South Carolina 1987 - YouTube[/ame].

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

It's a catch 22, when we win it's b/c we play so hard and with so much emotion and us fans love it! When we lose we clonedude posting saying he hates it. Notice how quite Clonedude is on this site when we are doing well and winning?
    You are totally clueless Clones85'. For one, I'm 40. But that has NOTHING to do with the attitude of some of our players... nothing.

As for when we were winning, go back and read some of my posts after the UNI and UConn games and get back to me.

I made numerous posts regarding how embarrassing Money's behavior was in the UNI game. I also criticized CJ Morgan for throwing a punch and getting ejected as well.

Do you really think this behavior thing is something new? No. It's been going on all year, where have you been? And I've posted about it. I don't like it whether we win or not. Be classy, in winning and losing... period! You somehow think it's ok that we act like idiots as long as we win? I don't.

You might want to get up to speed before criticizing people. You look foolish when you don't.

Last edited by coachdags; 10-02-2011 at 11:18 AM.

All-Star
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 382
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 15
    Given: 2

I completely agree with the OP and I am a young guy. It is just stupid.

Money was awesome tonight though as far as I saw. He was fighting all the way and kept his mouth shut and just did his business, the other guys could take a lesson in how he has turned his attitude around.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by GMan View Post
    This is what I remember too.

And anyone who thinks this team acts like The U, just watch this Miami brawl vs South Carolina 1987 - YouTube.
    Yeah... so what. A Miami player tackles the opposing player after the whistle had blown. No different than LJ headbutting someone after the whistle had blown. Except what LJ did isn't even legal BEFORE the whistle blows... so it's actually worse than what the Miami player does in this video in that respect.

The ONLY difference in this video is that the opposing team defends their player and comes to his defense, which starts the brawl. Miami did not start the brawl. Yes, they instigated it with the personal foul, but the opposing team took it to the next level.

Who's to say what would have happened last night if a couple of Texas players had come over and punched LJ in defense of Shipley? Thank goodness the Texas players either didn't see what LJ did to Shipley, or they had the discipline to leave it alone.

But our actions will someday cause a brawl like the one in your video, so thanks for posting it.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You are totally clueless Clones85'. For one, I'm 40. But that has NOTHING to do with the attitude of some of our players... nothing.

As for when we were winning, go back and read some of my posts after the UNI and UConn games and get back to me.

I made numerous posts regarding how embarrassing Money's behavior was in the UNI game. I also criticized CJ Morgan for throwing a punch and getting ejected as well.

Do you really think this behavior thing is something new? No. It's been going on all year, where have you been? And I've posted about it. I don't like it whether we win or not. Be classy, in winning and losing... period! You somehow think it's ok that we act like idiots as long as we win? I don't.

You might want to get up to speed before criticizing people. You look foolish when you don't.
    No I don't think it's ok to act like idiots if we win. I think it's ok to be emotional in football. Hell look at you, you are as emotional as anyone and your a 40 year old guy sitting on your couch. Now be invested full time in it and be a competitor. We are going to be emotional and celebrate. Leonards penalty was unacceptable. Others are ok though. Happens in every game at least 20 times a game. To say that we are like the U of old just shows how big of a drama queen you are. Get a clue.

Playing with to much emotion is the last of our worries for this year. How about we cut down on the turnovers? Start a game off fast? Make a FG? Stop holding? Playing to emotional? No it's not an issue. You have to play with emotion.

Face it Clonedude, we were 3-0 and every thread you started was complaining about something. It's pathetic. We could go down to Baylor and win next week and you would find the 1 thing we did wrong and make a long post about it

Rookie
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 4
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 2

I disagree. I don't like the excessive celebration, but when it is definitely wrong is when it involves the opponent. Head butting a teammate okay, opponent NO! Standing over the opponent sucks. Holding the ball out taunting opponent is wrong. If you feel like celebrating with a team mate fine.

Last edited by coachdags; 10-02-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 564
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 17

Too me what LJ did was no different then what Hyde did to Money after his big catch... Spinning him around and ripping his shoe off.. to me that should of at minimum been a delay of game on Iowa.... It just sucks that LJ got caught... one guy said as they were pulling LJ out... Texas is going to go deep..everyone new it...