Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 259
    Given: 0

Will any reporter have the guts to ask Rhoads...

.... why our guys are so undisciplined and act like idiots after almost every play?

I would really like to know what he thinks about this? I realize Rhoads is a very passionate coach and he probably wants his players to play with passion too, but it's embarrassing to watch the antics of some of our players after the play is over.

I've watched a lot of college football over the years, and this team is starting to remind me of some of those cocky Miami Hurricane teams from the 80's and 90's.

And it might have even cost us the game last night, when LJ headbutts the Texas player after the play when we had them stopped on 3rd down with the score only 13-0 I believe?

I hope LJ is ok, but this headbutt was not surprising to me at all considering how LJ plays. Chris Williams makes it sound like it was like a rare, one-time stupid mistake, but it was not. Watch the antics of LJ after nearly every play on defense. It's embarrassing. It was only a matter of time before he cost us.

I felt the same way after the UNI game about Money Reynolds, when he got a few personal foul penalties for mixing it up after the play was over with that punk from UNI. CJ Morgan also punched someone after a play and was ejected this year.

And it just really ticks me off when someone makes a play they are supposed to make, and they act like they just won the Super Bowl, ESPECIALLY when you're losing 34-0 and you've been beat several times in the game already.

So, back to the original question.... will any reporter have the guts to ask Rhoads about his team's complete lack of discipline in this week's press conference? I doubt it. Rhoads told Walters this week that he wasn't too concerned about it. So I guess we should expect to see more of the same stupid antics after nearly every play? You know... standing over someone after you tackle them and talking trash, doing the throat slashing move all the time, headbutts, etc.

Over 56k people came to the game last night to support this team, and this undisciplined bunch of players proceeded to hand Texas a 27-0 lead with our stupid play.... and we were pretty much done for after a quarter and a half. The fans deserve much more for their efforts. At least show some class out there. Paul Rhoads is a class guy, I just wish we'd see some of it rub off on some of his players.

I will say, there are a lot of guys on this team that don't deserve this calling out, but when 5 or 6 guys act like this, it reflects bad on the entire team.

Make a tackle and get up and celebrate a little with your teammates with a high five, etc.... but don't stand over the opponent and talk trash right in their face, headbutt them, make the throat slashing motion, etc. Be a class act.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. I just want to have a team out there that we can all be proud of.... that's all. Not too difficult.

Rookie
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 453
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 1

Re: Will any reporter have the guts to ask Rhoads...

Quote Originally Posted by clonedude View Post
    .... why our guys are so undisciplined and act like idiots after almost every play?

I would really like to know what he thinks about this? I realize Rhoads is a very passionate coach and he probably wants his players to play with passion too, but it's embarrassing to watch the antics of some of our players after the play is over.

I've watched a lot of college football over the years, and this team is starting to remind me of some of those cocky Miami Hurricane teams from the 80's and 90's.

And it might have even cost us the game last night, when LJ headbutts the Texas player after the play when we had them stopped on 3rd down with the score only 13-0 I believe?

I hope LJ is ok, but this headbutt was not surprising to me at all considering how LJ plays. Chris Williams makes it sound like it was like a rare, one-time stupid mistake, but it was not. Watch the antics of LJ after nearly every play on defense. It's embarrassing. It was only a matter of time before he cost us.

I felt the same way after the UNI game about Money Reynolds, when he got a few personal foul penalties for mixing it up after the play was over with that punk from UNI. CJ Morgan also punched someone after a play and was ejected this year.

And it just really ticks me off when someone makes a play they are supposed to make, and they act like they just won the Super Bowl, ESPECIALLY when you're losing 34-0 and you've been beat several times in the game already.

So, back to the original question.... will any reporter have the guts to ask Rhoads about his team's complete lack of discipline in this week's press conference? I doubt it. Rhoads told Walters this week that he wasn't too concerned about it. So I guess we should expect to see more of the same stupid antics after nearly every play? You know... standing over someone after you tackle them and talking trash, doing the throat slashing move all the time, headbutts, etc.

Over 56k people came to the game last night to support this team, and this undisciplined bunch of players proceeded to hand Texas a 27-0 lead with our stupid play.... and we were pretty much done for after a quarter and a half. The fans deserve much more for their efforts. At least show some class out there. Paul Rhoads is a class guy, I just wish we'd see some of it rub off on some of his players.

I will say, there are a lot of guys on this team that don't deserve this calling out, but when 5 or 6 guys act like this, it reflects bad on the entire team.

Make a tackle and get up and celebrate a little with your teammates with a high five, etc.... but don't stand over the opponent and talk trash right in their face, headbutt them, make the throat slashing motion, etc. Be a class act.

Ok, I'm done with my rant. I just want to have a team out there that we can all be proud of.... that's all. Not too difficult.
    I agree 100%. When you are less athletic you have to play smarter and pay attention to details. This was not done last night.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Given: 8

I agree with you. LJ's penalty and following play TD put the game away for UT as it turned out.

I'm more concerned with projected first round draft picks getting false starts at home games. Those shouldn't happen this late in the season. The attitude personal fouls are going to happen with some aggressive guys, unfortunately. Make em run some laps or do wind sprints at practice. Those mental mistakes though...much harder to fix once they start.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 64

I don't really disagree with you but asking that question is a waste of time. You'll get a canned answer. Outside of the LJ incident, I can live with the rest of the antics if these guys are making plays. I don't care if we are The U if these guys make some plays. LJ knew messed up.

I was impressed with Money last night. He was getting jobbed all over the field (at least one of the holding calls, the pass down the sideline) and he kept fighting.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Addict
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 1,720
    Overall activity: 61.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,198
    Given: 65

What LJ did was stupid, and I'm sure he'd even admit it. And I hate when players do this, but I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a new thing. I remember Ellis Hobbs doing this many a time (minus actually getting the PF) and he's one of the more beloved Cyclone football players around. There's a reason defensive backs and wide receivers are known as the divas of football. It's no different at Iowa State.

Legend
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 880
    Given: 731

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    What LJ did was stupid, and I'm sure he'd even admit it. And I hate when players do this, but I don't understand why everyone thinks this is a new thing. I remember Ellis Hobbs doing this many a time (minus actually getting the PF) and he's one of the more beloved Cyclone football players around. There's a reason defensive backs and wide receivers are known as the divas of football. It's no different at Iowa State.
    UNI acts like LJ did practically every tackle they get against us. In the Iowa/ISU game both teams act like that after every tackle.

It's stupid but it wasn't the crazy controversial thing people are making it into. The affect it had on the game as a 7 point swing was obviously disastrous and he should be held accountable. The act is something you see in most games that goes uncalled half the time. I watched it up close on TV and I didn't see the no-holds-barred WWF flying off the turnbuckle head butt that some of our fans seem to think it was. I saw what an Iowa player does every time he tackles an ISU player. Stupid, but not uncommon.

Just Win Baby
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3

Clonedude making a post like this?!?! Shocking!

Iowa State looking like the Miami Hurricanes of old? Based on 1 personal foul penalty? Shut up dude.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by cyrocksmypants View Post
    Problem is, I don't see this happening all over college football at all.

I probably couldn't come up with more than 10 schools that are worse than us as far as behavior after a play is over.

As someone else said, we have to play smarter and make less mistakes than our opponent for us to be succesful. Maybe not against UNI, Iowa, and UConn, but against the rest of our schedule we will not win another game starting games like this.

I think we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the country going into the season. And the toughest part is now staring us right in the face. We HAVE to become a LOT more disciplined really, really fast.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Clones85' View Post
    Clonedude making a post like this?!?! Shocking!

Iowa State looking like the Miami Hurricanes of old? Based on 1 personal foul penalty? Shut up dude.
    One personal foul penalty? You haven't been paying attention to Cyclone football this year, have you? Even you are smarter than that.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You must not watch much football then. I only watched four games yesterday, and every one of them had both teams doing it at times. So unless those 8 teams happen to be 8 of the 10 that do it (one game I watched was Boise State/Nevada) then it happens more than you think. Maybe it's just one of those things where it happens so often that you're not even noticing it?

I probably couldn't come up with more than 10 schools that are worse than us as far as behavior after a play is over.

As someone else said, we have to play smarter and make less mistakes than our opponent for us to be succesful. Maybe not against UNI, Iowa, and UConn, but against the rest of our schedule we will not win another game starting games like this.

I think we had the 2nd toughest schedule in the country going into the season. And the toughest part is now staring us right in the face. We HAVE to become a LOT more disciplined really, really fast.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 22.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 415
    Given: 64

This is where you go over the edge. If you can't tell this goes on all over, then you haven't been watching enough.

I'm on Twitter too: Tre4ISU

Or so I have read.

Speechless
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 377
    Given: 116

I think clonedude has Johnson and Benton confused. Johnson doesn't celebrate a lot, but Benton does.

He's no Kennard Banks, but he could tone it down a little.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Bench Warmer
    Level completed: 13%, Points required for next Level: 702
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    I don't really disagree with you but asking that question is a waste of time. You'll get a canned answer. Outside of the LJ incident, I can live with the rest of the antics if these guys are making plays. I don't care if we are The U if these guys make some plays. LJ knew messed up.

I was impressed with Money last night. He was getting jobbed all over the field (at least one of the holding calls, the pass down the sideline) and he kept fighting.
    I don't make many posts on here and when I do it has been usually to criticize the "fickleness" of our fans, and only supporting Iowa State when things are going well. And while there are a couple of threads going on that would support what I have said in the past, I read this one with a great deal of interest because I believe hard in what the poster says.

To begin with, I, like many of you, really like and appreciate CPR and his passion for Iowa State. Games like this happen, and although I hate it, they probably always will for the time being UNTIL coaches address what the topic of this thread is. I am surprised Paul puts up with all of the on field antics he does, because in my estimation, it goes against the very fiber he is made up of. If they make a big play, I can see the "unit", offense or defense celebrating with a great deal of passion. That's Paul. But when a player does the slash across the throat, or the fist pounding of a heart, or shaking his head NO like he was telling a cop he wasn't anywhere near the scene of a crime, I hate it. ESPECIALLY when you are down 34-0. There is no place for it.

I am an older guy, and always been a Cyclone. But one thing I always admired about Hayden Fry, and it took him a few years to get it instituted, but he taught the Hawkeyes to act like they have done it before. When they entered the field, it was in a large group, coming out very slow as opposed to running out at full speed fists pumping jumping up and down like I did when I was in high school. That expends energy anyway. When the Hawks scored, their players gave the ball to the refs, and other than endzone hugs, the amount of celebration was limited. If he ever had a player that did the gametime "whoopies" he was pulled and chastized. In post game interviews when he would be asked why he pulled a certain kid, his response always was something like this..." Joe acted like he was the only player that did anything right. What he didn't realize was his D-line put so much pressure on their QB that caused the quick throw and resulting interception that if they hadn't done that, Joe might have been beat on a deep route".

In other words, Hayden MADE the team become a TEAM. Not sorted out individuals. Personally speaking, all this circus crap that goes on on the field is a bunch of "wannabes" trying to one up the other. Act like you have been there before. Stop the individual acts calling for people to look at you, but rather focus on acting as a unit. Coach Paul is closer to putting a quality product on the field, but realistically as long as many of the schools that have economic advantages over us as they do, we aren't likely to "steal" 5 star recruits, and most likely, we will always be underdogs against teams like this. But that doesn't mean we can't beat them, and with a guy like Paul Rhoades at the helm, I think we have a chance, but this is one thing he has to change in my estimation if he truly wants to build this so called "blue collar" team he says he has. Blue collar workers don't act like idiots, what they do is knock those people that do act like idiots on their arses, and tell them to straighten up and fly right. That's when you will have a team that can compete and we can support fully.

The comment about reminding him of the Miami Hurricane days is spot on. It sucks. CPR, nip this in the butt now, and use it as the rallying point to build your "blue collar-lunch pail to work" type of team you want to have.

All this being said, I still love and will always support the Cyclones, but thanks to the poster that started this thread. It is a great one.

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

I would just like to see Rhoads address this publicly. 56k fans deserve to hear it.

LJ didn't even miss one play for that idiotic behavior. He should have been benched for a series or two IMO.

Of course some will say that we can't afford to have LJ on the sidelines. Really? We can't afford to sit a guy that might have cost us any chance at winning the game last night?

There needs to start being repurcussions for people's actions IMO. Nobody is irreplaceable on this team... nobody.

Is "Honor Before Victory" just a meaningless piece of garbage, or does it actually mean something?

Addict
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

You must have missed the play immediately after where Rhoads actually DID pull LJ and Texas subsequently scored a long touchdown on a pass to the guy being covered by LJ's replacement.

I would just like to see Rhoads address this publicly. 56k fans deserve to hear it.

LJ didn't even miss one play for that idiotic behavior. He should have been benched for a series or two IMO.

Of course some will say that we can't afford to have LJ on the sidelines. Really? We can't afford to sit a guy that might have cost us any chance at winning the game last night?

There needs to start being repurcussions for people's actions IMO. Nobody is irreplaceable on this team... nobody.

Is "Honor Before Victory" just a meaningless piece of garbage, or does it actually mean something?