Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1
    Given: 0

Fallout/Hangover.....

So I really hope this team can show some mental toughness and shake this one off. I think we have not played anywhere near our best ball yet and still we are 3-1. The schedule remains daunting and it's going to be a tough road to get to a bowl, but I think it's still a good possibility if we play like we are capable of playing. I'm hoping this loss doesn't linger like the blowout by Oklahoma in 2002. We were never the same that year after the losses to OU and Texas, and everything spiraled downhill from there. I don't think CPR will allow this game to affect the rest of the year, but ultimately, it's the players who need to put this behind them and prepare for the next challenge.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 421
    Given: 123

Re: Fallout/Hangover.....

Last year we had two terrible whippings in the Utah and OU games, and Rhoads was able to mentally rally the team to 3 straight gutsy performances.

If we can get 3 more efforts like last year's UT, KU, and Nebraska games, and no more Colorado games, we can get to 6 wins.

This team is more talented than any team we've had at ISU in a while. They need to get their heads on straight.

In 1984, I was hospitalized for approaching perfection.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 38%, Points required for next Level: 1,119
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 356
    Given: 94

This outcome could be good or bad for us. Needless to say we can't let texas beat us twice. Our first big XII road game won't be easy but it will be impossible if we don't play a clean game

Pro
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,384
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 129
    Given: 128

The most disconcerting thing about ISU football is that they have not been able to do what everyone on the team knows must be done for ISU to be successful this season: Avoid penalties and turnovers.

Every week is as bad or worse as the previous week, it just comes from a different player. We cannot expect much success until that trend reverses.

All-Star
    Level completed: 60%, Points required for next Level: 446
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 77

Quote Originally Posted by RhoadsRage View Post
    So I really hope this team can show some mental toughness and shake this one off. I think we have not played anywhere near our best ball yet and still we are 3-1. The schedule remains daunting and it's going to be a tough road to get to a bowl, but I think it's still a good possibility if we play like we are capable of playing. I'm hoping this loss doesn't linger like the blowout by Oklahoma in 2002. We were never the same that year after the losses to OU and Texas, and everything spiraled downhill from there. I don't think CPR will allow this game to affect the rest of the year, but ultimately, it's the players who need to put this behind them and prepare for the next challenge.
    The bolded is what scares me. Physically ISU has been as good or better than all 4 of the teams we have played. UT might have been slightly better physically but it was a close matchup.

We have not beaten anyone mentally yet. We make more stupid mistakes than every team and UT finally made us pay for it.

“It’s beyond pride. It’s a restored trust. There’s a confidence again, a passion that teeters on swagger. More than anything, (Iowa State head coach Paul Rhoads) has restored the Iowa State “it” factor, the steadfast belief that it is great to be a Cyclone...the man’s enthusiasm is genuine to the core...”
    – columnist Sean Keeler, Des Moines Register

All-Star
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 16

With the talent that's leaving after this year, we HAVE to get it together and win three more. I'm confident CPR can do it, but no more stupid penalties and undisciplined play.

Addict
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 1,846
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,496
    Given: 84

I have no idea why after how we played last night, but I feel good about the Baylor game. We'll score points on Baylor's defense, I'm sure of that. Our defense is solid. Last night, Texas put up 27 points against our defense. Take away the 10 points they scored when the offense gifted them the ball within the 30 and that's 17 points allowed. I know Griffen is ridic, but I have confidence in our defense. In general, Wally Burnham's defense hasn't let us down too many times (OU and Utah come to mind, but two games our of 29 games isn't bad). Now, if we could get a W next week, we would just need to get two against Kansas, KSU and Tech, which I consider our very winnable games. Throw in *** To Mouth and Mizzou as potentially winnable games and I like our chances. The sky did not fall last night.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first GroupRecommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 551
    Given: 73

We could look back to this game and say it was the best thing to happen for us. IMO, it was sort of a needed reality check. You can't continue to do stupid **** and win. Maybe it's better we got our teeth kicked in. In a close game I don't know that it hit's home quite the same. I hope the team writes down all the stupid, unforced mistakes, and does a little math because if you do that, we come out ahead.

It's all snark from here on out

Addict
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 76
    Given: 3

If we don't come out and play disciplined soon, then this season could start to get out of hand fast. Not because this team will let the losses linger but because the schedule is a gauntlet.

All-Star
    Level completed: 74%, Points required for next Level: 188
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 8

I think we're a good matchup for most teams left, with a couple of exceptions. Need to get our O-line healthy, that's for sure. No more false starts, a lot less holding calls. Turnovers against the conference teams keeping the D on the field a lot is not a good thing.

I AM SO PROUD....
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 39
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1

Quote Originally Posted by yaman3 View Post
    We could look back to this game and say it was the best thing to happen for us. IMO, it was sort of a needed reality check. You can't continue to do stupid **** and win. Maybe it's better we got our teeth kicked in. In a close game I don't know that it hit's home quite the same. I hope the team writes down all the stupid, unforced mistakes, and does a little math because if you do that, we come out ahead.

I agree 100%. Take a look at the boxscore......

Texas Longhorns vs. Iowa State Cyclones - Box Score - October 01, 2011 - ESPN

Remove the turnovers and mental mistakes and we make a game of it.