Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Question How about this for a realignment endgame?

At least for the next half-dozen or so years (schools projected to move are italicized)...

* SEC: Adds Texas A&M and Missouri (the latter could play football in the East if Alabama/Auburn wish not to be divided) -- 14 members.
    * Big 12: Loses Texas A&M and Missouri; adds Brigham Young, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Texas Christian and West Virginia -- 14 members.
    * Big Ten: Adds Maryland and Rutgers -- 14 members.
    * ACC: Loses Maryland; adds Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Connecticut -- 14 members.
    * Pac-12: As is -- 12 members.
    * Notre Dame remains BCS independent.
    * Big East: Ceases as a BCS member, returns to its roots as a basketball-oriented conference.

All 67 current BCS members retain their status, and TCU (scheduled to become BCS in the Big East next year) and BYU also join. (The 4 x 16 scenario so many predicted would have meant several current schools would have lost BCS status -- tricky politically -- and Texas' desire to preserve the Big 12, and its Longhorn Network, more or less made it moot.) All but the Pac expand to 14 members, leaving leagues room to go to 16 when necessary.

And that extra BCS berth vacated by the Big East becomes another at-large berth, as the Cotton Bowl joins the BCS rotation.

Each of the four altered conferences gets something it wants:

* The SEC gets a foothold in two large states, aiding plans for an eventual conference network;
    * The Big Ten adds to its presence on the eastern seaboard with two good academic/athletic/research institutions to complement Penn State, and in fairly populous states that will add subscriptions to the Big Ten Network;
    * The ACC replaces Maryland with another eastern school; and
    * The Big 12 branches out, getting a presence in recruit-rich Florida with USF, acquiring the quasi-national BYU brand; and getting a foothold in the Ohio Valley with WVU, Cincinnati and Louisville and a natural home for TCU. (Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State could comprise an East division with the four Eastern Time Zone emigres, with BYU, the two Oklahoma and four Texas schools in the West.)
    * As a bonus, that clumsy hybrid called the Big East is finally out of the football business, meaning that if the BCS conferences ever decide to break away from the NCAA, the likes of Seton Hall, Marquette and Providence won't get in the way.

Pro
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 10
    Given: 10

Re: How about this for a realignment endgame?

Everything we pretty much already know

KCCO

Follow me on Twitter: @datBASS3
    Follow Iowa State Drumline on Twitter: @ISUDrumline or on FB

Pro
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 499
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 81
    Given: 78

That's probably what COULD happen, if one person had the ability to move all the chess pieces as necessary.

The whole process has proven to be more disjointed and confusing, simply because the decisions are decentralized, made by individual parties at individual times, for their individual benefit, or the benefit of one or two others.

Addict
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 6
    Given: 1

Quote Originally Posted by cy4prez7 View Post
    Everything we pretty much already know

I don't do signatures. Blondes, brunettes, and red heads are a different story.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 274
    Given: 177

I hear it's about time for the thread monster's feeding...

Chuck Lidell: I paint my toenails with pink and black polish. Problem is, I get more paint on my toes and on the carpet than on my nails. Any advice?
    Maria Sharapova: Don't you beat up other guys for a living? I don't know how to answer this.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 1,390
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 31
    Given: 28

Quote Originally Posted by jdoggivjc View Post
    I hear it's about time for the thread monster's feeding...

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

Quote Originally Posted by umcp77 View Post
    At least for the next half-dozen or so years (schools projected to move are italicized)...

* SEC: Adds Texas A&M and Missouri (the latter could play football in the East if Alabama/Auburn wish not to be divided) -- 14 members.
    * Big 12: Loses Texas A&M and Missouri; adds Brigham Young, Cincinnati, Louisville, South Florida, Texas Christian and West Virginia -- 14 members.
    * Big Ten: Adds Maryland and Rutgers -- 14 members.
    * ACC: Loses Maryland; adds Pittsburgh, Syracuse and Connecticut -- 14 members.
    * Pac-12: As is -- 12 members.
    * Notre Dame remains BCS independent.
    * Big East: Ceases as a BCS member, returns to its roots as a basketball-oriented conference.

All 67 current BCS members retain their status, and TCU (scheduled to become BCS in the Big East next year) and BYU also join. (The 4 x 16 scenario so many predicted would have meant several current schools would have lost BCS status -- tricky politically -- and Texas' desire to preserve the Big 12, and its Longhorn Network, more or less made it moot.) All but the Pac expand to 14 members, leaving leagues room to go to 16 when necessary.

And that extra BCS berth vacated by the Big East becomes another at-large berth, as the Cotton Bowl joins the BCS rotation.

Each of the four altered conferences gets something it wants:

* The SEC gets a foothold in two large states, aiding plans for an eventual conference network;
    * The Big Ten adds to its presence on the eastern seaboard with two good academic/athletic/research institutions to complement Penn State, and in fairly populous states that will add subscriptions to the Big Ten Network;
    * The ACC replaces Maryland with another eastern school; and
    * The Big 12 branches out, getting a presence in recruit-rich Florida with USF, acquiring the quasi-national BYU brand; and getting a foothold in the Ohio Valley with WVU, Cincinnati and Louisville and a natural home for TCU. (Iowa State, Kansas and Kansas State could comprise an East division with the four Eastern Time Zone emigres, with BYU, the two Oklahoma and four Texas schools in the West.)
    * As a bonus, that clumsy hybrid called the Big East is finally out of the football business, meaning that if the BCS conferences ever decide to break away from the NCAA, the likes of Seton Hall, Marquette and Providence won't get in the way.

I like any situation where ISU ends up in the Big10 with Notre Dame.

Until ND ends up the Big12 or We end up in the Big10 I won't feel safe. We know that probably isn't going to happen,
    So our best hope is that cooler head prevail and the guns get put down.

Get the Big12 back to 12 and lock it up.
    Add BYU, L'Ville and someone else.

Prospect
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 267
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0

I know this wouldn't happen, but just for craps and laughs, what if the Big XII went all academic on us? It wouldn't help us all that much, but it would be funny from the stand point that this has all been about money prior. I know they don't bring TV sets or hordes of rabid fans, but they are the "best" schools in the region (outrank just about everyone in the current conference). According US News & World Report 2011 National University standings #71 BYU, #17 Rice, #62 SMU (Dallas), #97 TCU ironically tied with ISU (Fort Worth), #75 Tulsa, #50 Tulane (New Orleans), and #19 Notre Dame.

Last edited by LTHavoc; 10-03-2011 at 07:54 AM.
    AND WE KICKED YOUR ***!" Johnny Orr to Dick Vitale on Selection Sunday circa 1992.

Rookie
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 545
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 2

Quote Originally Posted by LTHavoc View Post
    I know this wouldn't happen, but just for craps and laughs, what if the Big XII went all academic on us? It wouldn't help us all that much, but it would be funny from the stand point that this has all been about money prior. I know they don't bring TV sets or hordes of rabid fans, but they are the "best" schools in the region (outrank just about everyone in the current conference). According US News & World Report 2011 National University standings #71 BYU, #17 Rice, #62 SMU (Dallas), #97 TCU ironically tied with ISU (Fort Worth), #75 Tulsa, #50 Tulane (New Orleans), and #19 Notre Dame.
    Tulane and Rice are AAU schools too. Furthermore, ESPN reported that Tulane came up in B12 conference expansion talks due to being in New Orleans along with AAU tag.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 875
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 7

WTF...IF Tulane is in the the Big12 then we have issues...Don't give me the New Orleans market. its all LSU. and everyone else doesn't care about Tulane. THeir "actual" TV market share would be like the Big 12 going after Cedar Falls.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by HandSanitizer View Post
    WTF...IF Tulane is in the the Big12 then we have issues...Don't give me the New Orleans market. its all LSU. and everyone else doesn't care about Tulane. THeir "actual" TV market share would be like the Big 12 going after Cedar Falls.
    I think it has more to do with academics at this point than pure market share. It also might help expand the recruiting base into SEC territory. Maybe. That and the New Orleans market are quite a stretch. Also, Tulane possibly being added is based upon the B12 wanting to expand to 12 (TCU, WVU, and L'ville) and BYU saying no.

Rookie
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thumbs Up

In regards to the OP, I'm all for BCS schools staying BCS schools, but the Big East needs to die with regard to BCS affiliation. It's a joke and has been for years...