Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Upon watching the Iowa game again

I had my DVR going this weekend... it was actually very frustrating seeing us not score a touchdown. This game could have been alot different but i guess this is a step in the right direction. Some things i noticed. The offensive line did awesome in pass protection this weekend. a HUGE improvement, and Iowa has a good front 4. Meyer looked good as well, except his fumble. I am optimistic and this win could not have been a better feel better story for us. I cant wait to see what Chizik puts out on the field in a few years. I think we will still upset someone again this year if these guys play with as much heart as they did saturday. The players were really excited saturday night but they KNEW they could do better, some were actually dissapointed that the game went the way it did. But they couldnt argue with a win. It is good to see these boys hungry. AND JTS looked fantastic and SOUNDED fantastic on TV. Lets roll on to Toledo and get us win #2

Addict
    Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 687
    Overall activity: 4.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 36
    Given: 49

Re: Upon watching the Iowa game again

Todd Blythe has to be a bit disappointed. He's had a mediocre season so far.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 58.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 1,261
    Given: 625

Quote Originally Posted by Bobber View Post
    Todd Blythe has to be a bit disappointed. He's had a mediocre season so far.
    Who knows? Maybe he is, but I think he's probably just as happy with a big win. They obviously came out trying to get the ball to him, and actually did throw deep. If he had a tear away jersey, he would have had at least two touchdowns, one on the corner route in the end zone, and one on the deep ball down the middle.

Speechless
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 59.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 516
    Given: 337

Cyclones report: Inside slant

Sep. 17, 2007
    The Sports Xchange

Just when it seemed rather certain Iowa State would go winless in Gene Chizik's first season as coach, the Cyclones pulled off a 15-13 stunner over Iowa in what could be the biggest upset in the history of the in-state series.
    Maybe all those testimonials about Chizik and the hope he provides for the Iowa State program weren't just empty promises.
    After losing to a second-division in-state rival, Northern Iowa, at home the week before, there seemed to be little chance for the Cyclones. Talk quickly circulated how Iowa State could be an underdog in each of its remaining games following the 0-2 start.
    No question it was anything but a favorite against the Hawkeyes. Yet five field goals by Bret Culbertson, including a 28-yard game-winner with one second remaining, was enough to pull out the squeaker.
    "This win is for the Iowa State people, and for the players," Chizik said. "They hung through a lot of criticism. It's so good to see those kids smile."
    Particularly Culbertson. The former walk-on missed huge kicks in the closing stages of losses to Missouri in 2004 and Kansas in 2005, preventing Iowa State from representing the North Division in the Big 12 championship game.
    After he scored all of the Cyclones' points in this unexpected win, and considering his troubled past, it was only right that Culbertson, who is nicknamed Shaggy for his resemblance to the "Scooby-Doo" character, be the first to hoist the Cy-Hawk Trophy.
    The surprise ending also confirmed the Cyclones aren't going to roll over under their new coach and could stir some trouble, particularly in the marginal North Division.

LOOKING GOOD
    The Iowa State offense cannot be exonerated completely since it failed to get into the end zone during a 15-13 win over Iowa. But it was a win, and the offense did contribute, producing 300 yards while converting 7 of 18 third downs. In addition, the Cyclones committed just one turnover (a fumble) and three penalties.
    QB Phillip Bates -- With his redshirt lifted in Game 1, Bates can now help the Cyclones in whatever way possible. Against Iowa, that meant lining up wide in a five-receiver formation late in the game. Bates caught a 38-yard pass out of that look to set up the game-winning field goal.
    WR R.J. Sumrall -- Tied a career-best with seven receptions, and finished with 62 yards. Sumrall was one of eight Cyclones to catch a pass.
    STILL NEEDS WORK
    Iowa State must find ways to punch the ball into the end zone. Its 14-point average through three games is placing too much pressure on an evolving defense, which needs to get off the field more to be at its best. The defense certainly responded well against Iowa, though, holding the Hawkeyes to 233 yards.
    ROSTER REPORT
    PR Drenard Williams dropped deep for the first time to return punts and responded with 22 yards on two runbacks, a decent trial run.
    The production of veteran WR Todd Blythe, a huge concern through the first two games, was decent against Iowa. Blythe didn't showcase much of his big-play potential but did grab five receptions for 33 yards.

GAME BALL GOES TO
    PK Bret Culbertson -- The senior, a former walk-on from Des Moines, provided all of Iowa State's points in a 15-13 upset over Iowa. He made five of six field goals, including a 28-yarder with one second remaining for the decisive points. Culbertson entered the game 0 for 3 on the season.
    KEEP AN EYE ON
    QB Bret Meyer -- Criticism of Meyer's shaky play in the first two games led to some outcry demanding a demotion for the fourth-year starter, but he responded by going 21-for-29, with no interceptions, against Iowa. Meyer added 52 yards rushing, mostly off quarterback draws.
    QUOTE TO NOTE
    "I just did what I do. There was a little pressure, but I was calm." -- Iowa State PK Bret Culbertson on his game-winning 28-yard field goal against Iowa.

Let my Fred's Posse Ride: Georges, Naz, Hogue, Bryce, Nader, Monte, Matt, and McKay.

Hall-Of-Famer
    Level completed: 63%, Points required for next Level: 607
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 3
    Given: 11

Thanks 33....you know with Chizik's emphasis on playing physical not just being lip service, I'm surprised our D hasn't created more turnovers. Perhaps they will come, actually I'm quite optimistic they will, but its good to see we can shut down an opponent without the aid of turnovers.

Rookie
    Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 58
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

Iowa actually put the ball on the ground a few times Saturday but was fortunate enough to recover. I think the turnovers will come.