Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

East or West?

If the rumors are true that BYU is about to join the Big XII, how do you think this will effect our decision to add additional teams like Louisville and West Virginia? The interim commish has stated that geography will play a significant role in what teams are considered and it is a long way from Provo, Utah to Louisville, Kentucky (1,600 miles) and Morgantown, West Virginia (1,800 miles). Is it possible to keep a conference this big (geographically) together or will schools and fans balk at the travel?

To me, adding BYU would indicate that the Big XII is planning on expanding West and is not interested in Big East schools like Louisville, and WV. It could also indicate that we are only interested in adding one team to get us back to ten, something many of the current AD's support.

Personally, I would rather move East, there are more quality schools in states with larger populations. We could pick up some good programs like Louisville and WV which would put us in a much better position the next time conference realignment comes around. At some point the ACC, Big East and SCC are going to reshuffle schools and it would be great to be in the region to pick up some more quality teams.

Legend
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 349
    Given: 222

Re: East or West?

Yea, it's a tough decision. It would seem that the best overall school to add to the conference remains BYU. If we were sure that just replacing A&M and staying at 10 was the best way forward, I'd say they were a no-brainer. However, there continues to be good arguments for going to 12, and obviously going east offers more options. Not that say, Air Force, is a worse option than Louisville, they just don't have the BCS cache that the Big East schools have.

Prospect
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

They will be in the Big 12 North

Starter
    Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 26
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 14
    Given: 11

Quote Originally Posted by cyclonepower21 View Post
    They will be in the Big 12 North
    But if we do add BYU, WV and Louis, I think we will have to move to an East/West conference alignment.

East
    ISU
    Lousiville
    West Virginia
    Missouri
    Kansas
    Kansas State

West
    Oklahoma
    Oklahoma State
    BYU
    Texas
    Texas Tech
    Baylor

All-Star
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 640
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 35
    Given: 8

Quote Originally Posted by Peter View Post
    If the rumors are true that BYU is about to join the Big XII, how do you think this will effect our decision to add additional teams like Louisville and West Virginia? The interim commish has stated that geography will play a significant role in what teams are considered and it is a long way from Provo, Utah to Louisville, Kentucky (1,600 miles) and Morgantown, West Virginia (1,800 miles). Is it possible to keep a conference this big (geographically) together or will schools and fans balk at the travel?

To me, adding BYU would indicate that the Big XII is planning on expanding West and is not interested in Big East schools like Louisville, and WV. It could also indicate that we are only interested in adding one team to get us back to ten, something many of the current AD's support.

Personally, I would rather move East, there are more quality schools in states with larger populations. We could pick up some good programs like Louisville and WV which would put us in a much better position the next time conference realignment comes around. At some point the ACC, Big East and SCC are going to reshuffle schools and it would be great to be in the region to pick up some more quality teams.
    I agree I just can't see them adding West Virginia if BYU does indeed join. I think thye would be a great addition, but I just don't think it happens. It's too bad the Buffs jumped ship as that would have helped to have them. I'm like some why not add CSU or just go get TCU.